It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jean-Michel Basquiat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   

To learn more about him, theartstory.org

He is now selling for around 60 million $

With a nice collection of his work widewalls.ch

A really dramatic story and he knew them all, Warhol to Madonna.
Enjoy

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

He is now selling for around 60 million $

Good for him.

Notice the penis and balls in the Tar tar tar, Lead, lead, lead?

Very Cavemanesque. I like it. GRRRRR! I am MAN!

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

He died with 27 in 1988.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Just heard about him on a podcast a couple days ago. Apparently Sharon stone is a savage with collecting art. Been collecting since early 80s and as soon as you walk into her foyer before you got the great room there are 1 of his paintings on either wall as big as a wall

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Of course he did. His product would probably be worthless if he was still alive... That's the sad reality of the art world excluding the odd exception.

edit on 5-3-2018 by Wide-Eyes because: Vid

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Auction of the first painting you posted:

It's a little bit more than 68 million.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 06:02 AM
link   
If I could draw a stick man with even a stick, could I make millions?

damn art is nothing like art any more.

here is a picture of my dog. I call him pencil.

GIVE ME BAZILLIONS NAO!11!11

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

I love art even though I don't get much of it.
When I look at a Caravaggio for example I see some amazing #. Talent. Whatever.

When I look at Pollack or even Picasso I just dont get it.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   

It took me a bit to get used to it too. But after a while you see the raw beauty. Like really good worthwhile music too can take two times of listening before you "get it".

a reply to: TinySickTears

Picasso is basically masturbating with his craft all over us.

To this

...I don't know it just makes me horny. You feel or you don't, but keep trying sometimes real love takes work.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Art is definitely in the eye of the beholder but the prices paid for Basquiat are outrageous. It's become a competition for dealers and collectors more than personal appreciation. Just to buy and sell.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Stone Junkie Genius. What do you get when you combine the likes of Dekooning, Lichtenstein, Giacometti et. al. You get Basquiat.

JMB knew who he was. Thanks!

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
Art is definitely in the eye of the beholder but the prices paid for Basquiat are outrageous. It's become a competition for dealers and collectors more than personal appreciation.

There are other potential Basquiats out there. I'm related to one personally. But that person is not, was not, in the right place at the right time. Basquiat needed the 80's Soho scene, and Warhol's uptown connections. Now he'd barely get traction -- his work, if new today, might be seen as atavistic (in an art-historical sense).

I doubt Basquiat would get much traction with the ultra-effete, super-white-powder-sniffing zillionaires at the bleeding edge of art dealing and art collection these days. The next big thing in art is going to be cutting a piece of yourself off, and pasting it to a canvas. Literally -- I fear.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Namdru

Time will tell. The Warhol stuff and other "modern" art is still inflating.

There will always be newly "discovered" artists-and yeah alot of junk out there being touted by the pretentious.

The government needs to get out of financially supporting every so-called artist.

Basquiat had the right connections and such an awful childhood that he's another tortured, thus celebrated, artist who happened at the right time and knew the right people. It's still just graffiti-and with mental illness in his family, his expressions are a bit concerning. To each to his own.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Namdru

originally posted by: Justso
Art is definitely in the eye of the beholder but the prices paid for Basquiat are outrageous. It's become a competition for dealers and collectors more than personal appreciation.

There are other potential Basquiats out there. I'm related to one personally. But that person is not, was not, in the right place at the right time. Basquiat needed the 80's Soho scene, and Warhol's uptown connections. Now he'd barely get traction -- his work, if new today, might be seen as atavistic (in an art-historical sense).

I doubt Basquiat would get much traction with the ultra-effete, super-white-powder-sniffing zillionaires at the bleeding edge of art dealing and art collection these days. The next big thing in art is going to be cutting a piece of yourself off, and pasting it to a canvas. Literally -- I fear.

Much of art is about having the right critic praise your work. Basquiat has some great pieces, but I don't really believe it is anything special imho. Plenty of street artists whose work is arguably just as good probably couldn't get 50 cents for a print. Everything is so subjective hence:

$7.00 Ikea Print Fools Art Critics

Toddler Fools Art World With Ketchup Prints

You see this kind of nonsense with restaurants, music, etc. Anything that is subject. Some of the best meals I've ever had are in hole in the wall dives while some of the worst have been over priced nibbles at five star restaurants.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

I love art even though I don't get much of it.
When I look at a Caravaggio for example I see some amazing #. Talent. Whatever.

When I look at Pollack or even Picasso I just dont get it.

Caravaggio is one of my favorite artists. As I recall he died an early death as well.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Of course he did. His product would probably be worthless if he was still alive... That's the sad reality of the art world excluding the odd exception.

No man. I remember the 80s. This dude was a rock star artist. He was making money.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

in tar tar tar lead lead lead he holds the 5 black arrows of Rothschild, and he has added an additional 3 white arrows.

Thanks for sharing bud!

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Been wanting to say he looks like my boy lord nikon

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 11:38 PM
link   
A very talented artist, but how much of it was hype?

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: MaxTamesSiva

He wanted it, that's for sure. But it destroyed him that's big part of his personal tragedy.
The story how he met Warhol

tells a lot.
source

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join