It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Blaming White People' sign at post office draws ire, prompts investigation

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

I'm a white guy and no one has ever blamed me for anything.

If you feel like your a victim here, it's probably because your lazy.
That's probably because you don't actually work in liberal orgs. I do. About 5% of people involved project on me because I'm a white male. To the point that other SJW friends there, who range from black guys to white women, have stated exactly that. "He gets a lot of flack for being a white guy." Stop being naive.

I'm not naive. I'm telling you my experience. I'm almost 50. Been in the Army, in public education, in telecommunications companies, on non profits, in restaraunts, in management, in martial arts, owned several business lived in rural America and big cities like Las Vegas. Not once have i ever been discriminated against because I'm white, no one ever blamed me for anything and I've had a great life.

If you're a white male and life is unfair, it's because your lazy or worse close mindedness and unwillingness to change.
Stereotypes and generalizations. You are incorrect. My whole career is social justice and anti poverty work. I assure you I am more involved in it than you. Also, I have three related degrees.

You should'nt assume that because nobody has treated you poorly that no one else has experienced it.

Are you saying that my black friends and Latino roommate are making it up too when they've seen people do it to me?

I assure you that I do way more social justice work than you. Seriously. I'm out in the community every day.

I also assure you that any mistreatment you get is minor and has no lasting negative effect on your life. You seem to be choosing to focus on it, and that's your problem. Get over it and move on.
It's my entire job dude. I do it professionally.

You cannot assure me of anything in my experience you piece of s%%t.

All i'm saying is, I have as much liberal and community exposure as you do, and I never get picked on, discriminated against, or anything. What's the difference? We're both white males. I'm going to say that the difference is our attitudes.

Sorry to just butt into your conversation, but I think the difference is something we don't have to assume. Look at your locations. He's in NY, you're in NV. Completely different atmospheres, completely different types of liberals.

Could point but I've also lived in Maryland, West Virginia, Washington and Oregon. You can't tell me that Seattle and Portland Liberals aren't comparable.

I wouldn't tell you anything of the sort. But can you tell me, having lived in all those places, that liberals in all those places act the same toward conservatives?

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

That's probably because you don't actually work in liberal orgs. I do. About 5% of people involved project on me because I'm a white male. To the point that other SJW friends there, who range from black guys to white women, have stated exactly that. "He gets a lot of flack for being a white guy." Stop being naive.

I'm not naive. I'm telling you my experience. I'm almost 50. Been in the Army, in public education, in telecommunications companies, on non profits, in restaraunts, in management, in martial arts, owned several business lived in rural America and big cities like Las Vegas. Not once have i ever been discriminated against because I'm white, no one ever blamed me for anything and I've had a great life.

If you're a white male and life is unfair, it's because your lazy or worse close mindedness and unwillingness to change.
Stereotypes and generalizations. You are incorrect. My whole career is social justice and anti poverty work. I assure you I am more involved in it than you. Also, I have three related degrees.

You should'nt assume that because nobody has treated you poorly that no one else has experienced it.

Are you saying that my black friends and Latino roommate are making it up too when they've seen people do it to me?

I assure you that I do way more social justice work than you. Seriously. I'm out in the community every day.

I also assure you that any mistreatment you get is minor and has no lasting negative effect on your life. You seem to be choosing to focus on it, and that's your problem. Get over it and move on.

All i'm saying is, I have as much liberal and community exposure as you do, and I never get picked on, discriminated against, or anything. What's the difference? We're both white males. I'm going to say that the difference is our attitudes.

Sorry to just butt into your conversation, but I think the difference is something we don't have to assume. Look at your locations. He's in NY, you're in NV. Completely different atmospheres, completely different types of liberals.

Could point but I've also lived in Maryland, West Virginia, Washington and Oregon. You can't tell me that Seattle and Portland Liberals aren't comparable.

I wouldn't tell you anything of the sort. But can you tell me, having lived in all those places, that liberals in all those places act the same toward conservatives?

I think people are mostly the same wherever you go. Portland is a bit different than Vegas. But liberals and conservatives are basically the same. If you're going to be discriminated in Seattle it could happen just as easily in Baltimore.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

I don't see our ideology as being very different.

I'm saying that most white people don't get discriminated against and when they do it's minor.

You're saying, I think, that some white people get discriminated against and it can be major and just as harmful as any racism or discrimination.

You seem to think that your education and work experience makes us extremely dissimilar. I disagree. I think we're more alike than different. You seem, to me, to equate your education and role as a "social" worker as giving you more clout in this discussion.

Yes, No?
Again, your belief that there is no harm and all is minor is irresponsible. Even if only a few experience it, those people matter. As a single father, it effing mattered I didn't get that job. I got another one, but it wasn't as good or on the track I've been striving for. It set me back several years in that regard. I'm sorry, I know some poc that have personally never experienced that. Some have. INDIVIDUAlS matter. Stop only seeing things in groups identity.

If someone gets robbed or killed based on their race, it's not minor at all. Even if it's not that many people, it sure as hell isnt minor for those people.. That's what I mean, these kinds of discussions have become irrational. Because people have an ideology that only poc can experience real prejudice, therefore they have to reframe everything as being nonexistent or minor for white people.

Yes we probably do mostly agree on other topics within sj.

edit on 6-3-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I don't see our ideology as being very different.

I'm saying that most white people don't get discriminated against and when they do it's minor.

You're saying, I think, that some white people get discriminated against and it can be major and just as harmful as any racism or discrimination.

You seem to think that your education and work experience makes us extremely dissimilar. I disagree. I think we're more alike than different. You seem, to me, to equate your education and role as a "social" worker as giving you more clout in this discussion.

Yes, No?
Again, your belief that there is no harm and all is minor is irresponsible. Even if only a few experience it, those people matter. As a single father, it effing mattered I didn't get that job. I got another one, but it wasn't as good or on the track I've been striving for. It set me back several years in that regard. I'm sorry, I know some poc that have personally never experienced that. Some have. INDIVIDUAlS matter. Stop only seeing things in groups identity.

If someone gets robbed or killed based on their race, it's not minor at all. Even if it's not that many people, it sure as hell isjt minor for those people.. That's what I mean, these kinds of discussions have become irrational.

Yes we probably do mostly agree on other topics within sj.

Ok point taken. I understand where you're coming from there. Individual situations do matter and it's not minor for those effected.

I think I'm trying to say this, then.

There is NOT a huge backlash against white males, There is no war on White Males, White Males are no overall besieged and being discriminated against in a massive wave. I think it's important to say this, because there is a lot of rhetoric out there..pushing that agenda, especially from conservative news sources.

I also have a huge problem with the modern Victim mentality out there and the position that we're hopeless and helpless and at the mercy of society at large or that whomever becomes president someone has the power to ruin our lives.

Perhaps I was "Triggered" by your post in particular to respond.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I think people are mostly the same wherever you go. Portland is a bit different than Vegas. But liberals and conservatives are basically the same. If you're going to be discriminated in Seattle it could happen just as easily in Baltimore.

I wouldn't think Seattle would be much different from Baltimore. NY is it's own animal though, especially NYC.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

people get mistreated, discriminated against, judged with preconceived notions for whatever reason all the time, its a part of life. i don't mean to trivialize your experiences and it sucks that those things happened to you but those kinds of things happen to people of all colors and walks of life on a daily basis. what you should beware of is falling in to the victim card mentality. i feel that when one is racist or plays the race/victim card they wear it on their face sort of a "resting racist/victim face" and people pick up on that vibe, in a way it perpetuates the racism and victim card problem arising its ugly head again.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
oh the irony in this thread has got me rolling hard.

People calling people left or right and pigeon-holing them for their ideals is no different than saying black and white.

edit on 6-3-2018 by jidnum because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: jidnum

People calling people left or right and pigeon-holing them for their ideals is no different than saying black and white.

I'd like to see someone make that argument with college campuses. Banning someone from speaking because they're conservative should be just as illegal as banning them from speaking because they're black.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut

people get mistreated, discriminated against, judged with preconceived notions for whatever reason all the time, its a part of life. i don't mean to trivialize your experiences and it sucks that those things happened to you but those kinds of things happen to people of all colors and walks of life on a daily basis. what you should beware of is falling in to the victim card mentality. i feel that when one is racist or plays the race/victim card they wear it on their face sort of a "resting racist/victim face" and people pick up on that vibe, in a way it perpetuates the racism and victim card problem arising its ugly head again.
Of course, but the whole point of this is not to be a victim but to point out that some white people have been targeted, that it can be significant, and some poc can be prejudiced. That's my only point here. Modern social justice ideology denies this and makes Devils out of whites and saints out of minorities.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Of course, but the whole point of this is not to be a victim but to point out that some white people have been targeted, that it can be significant, and some poc can be prejudiced. That's my only point here. Modern social justice ideology denies this and makes Devils out of whites and saints out of minorities.

It doesn't count though, because it's not "systemic".

A black man got elected president twice in a country with institutionalized racism... yeah that makes sense.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I'd like to see someone make that argument with college campuses. Banning someone from speaking because they're conservative should be just as illegal as banning them from speaking because they're black.

like i said its no different. It's just that it's socially accepted to hate a certain wing of politics than it is to hate a certain race of people. That's my point.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

like i said its no different. It's just that it's socially accepted to hate a certain wing of politics than it is to hate a certain race of people. That's my point.

I agree. I was just making an extension of your point.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

understood.

my bad =)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

It doesn't count though, because it's not "systemic".

A black man got elected president twice in a country with institutionalized racism... yeah that makes sense.
All of my posts in this thread are to undermine that "it doesn't matter because Muh power" argument. It's pretty ridiculous that so many people blindly parrot that given it falls apart even based on cursory examination. I know you are not.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

understood.

my bad =)

No bad, I could see how my comment looked like I was arguing with you. I could've been more clear.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

a reply to: radiusnode

So now bullying is racism? Snowflake much? Like I said wake me up when whites have crosses burning in their front yards, are being hung from trees and forced through separate entrances and drink from separate water fountains until then you're crying a lot of wolf!!!

There is "bullying" (if that's the right word) that is racially motivated.

A person (black, white, or otherwise) who is threatened physically or mentally simply due to the color of their skin would be a racially motivated act. And that does happen to "blacks, whites, or otherwise" all the time. Racially motivated threats or violence can be committed by people from any group.[

Having said that, I don't think the sign in the OP is meant to say "oh poor poor victimized white people...oh woe is us". Rather the sign is meant to point out that racism and hate is not an inherent incontrovertible trait of white people.

edit on 2018/3/6 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Box of Rain

a reply to: radiusnode

So now bullying is racism? Snowflake much? Like I said wake me up when whites have crosses burning in their front yards, are being hung from trees and forced through separate entrances and drink from separate water fountains until then you're crying a lot of wolf!!!

...and we all know that it is obviously not the case that "whites against blacks" is the only type of hate speech.

R eally?
Really???
REALLY???

And yeah I know you're talking hate speech not racism. Semantics.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
a reply to: notsure1

I actually approve of the sign. Wish more people would stand up and be proud of their heritage and who they are as a race.

Do you know the difference between heritage and skin color?

Obviously that’s why I said “be proud of their heritage and who they are as a race.

You know... two separate things.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Box of Rain

Getting assaulted because of your race or gender or religion is a hate crime but getting called a name or being bullied is a part of growing up and people need to grow some thicker skin! I was called "names" but i guess I never thought of it as being bullied, I got over it and I have a great job, beautiful house, wonderful family and I never let my nationality give me a victim mentality, if I did I would not have achieved what I have. There are gonna be jerks from all different backgrounds we just have to learn to ignore them and try to be good people.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

a reply to: Box of Rain

Getting assaulted because of your race or gender or religion is a hate crime but getting called a name or being bullied is a part of growing up and people need to grow some thicker skin! I was called "names" but i guess I never thought of it as being bullied, I got over it and I have a great job, beautiful house, wonderful family and I never let my nationality give me a victim mentality, if I did I would not have achieved what I have. There are gonna be jerks from all different backgrounds we just have to learn to ignore them and try to be good people.

I have to agree. What we're really talking about here is just being harassed. Everyone has been harassed about something, but for some reason if it's about your race or your gender it's a crime. That's just silly. Harassment is only as hurtful as you allow it to be. It goes to another level when you get into stalking and things like that, but just some mean comments, whether they're about your shirt or the color of your skin, who the # cares?

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join