It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Blaming White People' sign at post office draws ire, prompts investigation

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

originally posted by: amazing

I'm a white guy and no one has ever blamed me for anything.

If you feel like your a victim here, it's probably because your lazy.
That's probably because you don't actually work in liberal orgs. I do. About 5% of people involved project on me because I'm a white male. To the point that other SJW friends there, who range from black guys to white women, have stated exactly that. "He gets a lot of flack for being a white guy." Stop being naive.

I'm not naive. I'm telling you my experience. I'm almost 50. Been in the Army, in public education, in telecommunications companies, on non profits, in restaraunts, in management, in martial arts, owned several business lived in rural America and big cities like Las Vegas. Not once have i ever been discriminated against because I'm white, no one ever blamed me for anything and I've had a great life.

If you're a white male and life is unfair, it's because your lazy or worse close mindedness and unwillingness to change.
Stereotypes and generalizations. You are incorrect. My whole career is social justice and anti poverty work. I assure you I am more involved in it than you. Also, I have three related degrees.

You should'nt assume that because nobody has treated you poorly that no one else has experienced it.

Are you saying that my black friends and Latino roommate are making it up too when they've seen people do it to me?

I assure you that I do way more social justice work than you. Seriously. I'm out in the community every day.

I also assure you that any mistreatment you get is minor and has no lasting negative effect on your life. You seem to be choosing to focus on it, and that's your problem. Get over it and move on.
It's my entire job dude. I do it professionally.

You cannot assure me of anything in my experience you piece of s%%t.

LOL You're getting worked up. My whole job is helping people every day...on a daily basis, I help several local non profits, I work with disabled people, brain damaged people, children with severe emotional and developmental needs and a large part of my day is working with children with Autism. I do alot more than that as well.

Look I'm not here to discount what you do. And you might do more social work in the comjunity than me and maybe you are surrounded by more liberals than me. But don't think you're special. Lot's of people work out in the community like you. As I do. And maybe if we have a real pissing contest you win. I''ll give it too you . You do more work than me. but not by much.

All i'm saying is, I have as much liberal and community exposure as you do, and I never get picked on, discriminated against, or anything. What's the difference? We're both white males. I'm going to say that the difference is our attitudes.

You chose to see it, focus on it and be victimized by it. I chose to ignore it(no harm, no foul), move on and be the victor in life. You should try it.

edit on 6-3-2018 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
That's the key here, a lot of ideological identity politics folks think they not only know the Truth, but that every single element of social justice is some scientific fact. Some is, but much is not. But, anyone who wants to discuss or even disagree on some minor point must therefore be privileged, racist, or ignorant. It's toxifying the discourse. a reply to: AgarthaSeed

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Q, don't get frustrated mate. Its not worth it.

You aren't alone, and the modern liberal narrative started to break from reality roughly a decade ago.

The problem with things getting extreme enough of a break to wake more and more up, is that those that don't question it break further and further from reality.

For us liberals who blasphemously disagree with the narrative, I honestly think the best thing to do at this point is to repair relations with those on the opposite end of the spectrum where we can. I feel that's the only chance to prevent the right from spiraling off into the same maelstrom.

Keep up what I assume to be the good work that you do. And, probably brace yourself for things getting worse and being treated like a heretic with copious amounts of condescension.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

You aren't alone, and the modern liberal narrative started to break from reality roughly a decade ago.

The problem with things getting extreme enough of a break to wake more and more up, is that those that don't question it break further and further from reality.

For us liberals who blasphemously disagree with the narrative, I honestly think the best thing to do at this point is to repair relations with those on the opposite end of the spectrum where we can. I feel that's the only chance to prevent the right from spiraling off into the same maelstrom.

Keep up what I assume to be the good work that you do. And, probably brace yourself for things getting worse and being treated like a heretic with copious amounts of condescension.

But what's the narrative?

Is my experience wrong? Why do only some white males feel this way? Why not all? could it be their attitudes and the modern plague of the Victim mentality?

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Heres the problem. People like you have bought a false new definition of racism and impact. Instead of discrimination being relatively much worse for people of color due to history or institutions, which is true, you've bought into a very reductionist, simplistic, and frankly inaccurate binary concept that therefore no one else can experience some form of prejudice and even more, that it doesn't matter. Here's the thing, not only is this new binary definition inaccurate, it's totally unnecessary to doing social justice work.

Also, what I'm telling you is that in social justice related work and degree programs, there ARE a few extremists that will mistreat actual white individuals. They may be a minority percentage, but they exist. At my current work there are a handful who frequently take things out on me and it's toxic for work collaboration.

Hostile work cultures are evidenced to at best harm the work of an org.

Also, your false binary and stereotypical views of races (ironically) fail to realize that some minority individuals do have power such as in the form of being leaders of bossses.

When I got turned down for being hired by the New York City Council for an analyst role, after being told I was the best and final candidate, my friends that worked there told me it might have been because I was a white male. Literally. You can argue all you want, but if that's true it was real discrimination that had very serious impact. I almost filed an Eeoc complaint. And, do not just claim I'm making this all up. I'm not.
a reply to: amazing

edit on 6-3-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Is my experience wrong? Why do only some white males feel this way? Why not all? could it be their attitudes and the modern plague of the Victim mentality?
The narrative is that only white people can be prejudiced or racist.

Secondly, you should be smart enough to know that just because you haven't experienced something therefore no one else has. That's not very logical. Many people have experienced all manners of things good and bad that you haven't.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Heres the problem. People like you have bought a false new definition of racism and impact. Instead of discrimination being relatively much worse for people of color due to history or institutions, which is true, you've bought into a very reductionist, simplistic, and frankly inaccurate binary concept that therefore no one else can experience some form of prejudice and even more, that it doesn't matter. Here's the thing, not only is this new binary definition inaccurate, it's totally unnecessary to doing social justice work.

Also, what I'm telling you is that in social justice related work and degree programs, there ARE a few extremists that will mistreat actual white individuals. They may be a minority percentage, but they exist. At my current work there are a handful who frequently take things out on me and it's toxic for work collaboration.

Also, your false binary and stereotypical views of races (ironically) fail to realize that some minority individuals do have power such as in the form of being leaders of bossses.

When I got turned down for being hired by the New York City Council for an analyst role, after being told I was the best and final candidate, my friends that worked there told me it might have been because I was a white male. Literally. You can argue all you want, but if that's true it was real discrimination that had very serious impact. I almost filed an Eeoc complaint. And, do not just claim I'm making this all up. I'm not.

Look this is the whole problem.

Of course there will be some people/groups/minorities/lawmakers/bosses/organizations that will discriminate, but probably the least discriminated against subset of the human race is the white male. A lot of that has to do with the classic power structure of the colonial age. White men used to have all the power in the colonial world/British empire.

But enough of history. It doesn't matter, because we're talking about the present.

Maybe you have been discriminated against. Maybe I have as well and was oblivious to it. But that's the whole crux of my opinion here. It's minor. You can move on. I have. No one job is that important. No one position is that important. No one company, organization, raise, career path, bankruptcy, firing, catastrophe, divorce, presidential election is that important in the future of your life.

I've been passed over for raises, been fired, been homeless, been arrested, been in debt, had cars reposessed been hospitalized, knocked out, chocked out, ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere and hopeless, but It can all be overcome.

Not getting that job in New York City is minor. In the US alone there are over 19,000 incorporated places...meaning towns or cities. And as of today on one job site there are almost 126,000 analyst jobs in the US alone.

I'm telling you to stop being a victim and move on.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

The narrative is that only white people can be prejudiced or racist.

Secondly, you should be smart enough to know that just because you haven't experienced something therefore no one else has. That's not very logical. Many people have experienced all manners of things good and bad that you haven't.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen but that it happens very rarely and to a minor degree. Easy to overcome. It's not systemic or institutionalized.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

That's probably because you don't actually work in liberal orgs. I do. About 5% of people involved project on me because I'm a white male. To the point that other SJW friends there, who range from black guys to white women, have stated exactly that. "He gets a lot of flack for being a white guy." Stop being naive.

I'm not naive. I'm telling you my experience. I'm almost 50. Been in the Army, in public education, in telecommunications companies, on non profits, in restaraunts, in management, in martial arts, owned several business lived in rural America and big cities like Las Vegas. Not once have i ever been discriminated against because I'm white, no one ever blamed me for anything and I've had a great life.

If you're a white male and life is unfair, it's because your lazy or worse close mindedness and unwillingness to change.
Stereotypes and generalizations. You are incorrect. My whole career is social justice and anti poverty work. I assure you I am more involved in it than you. Also, I have three related degrees.

You should'nt assume that because nobody has treated you poorly that no one else has experienced it.

Are you saying that my black friends and Latino roommate are making it up too when they've seen people do it to me?

I assure you that I do way more social justice work than you. Seriously. I'm out in the community every day.

I also assure you that any mistreatment you get is minor and has no lasting negative effect on your life. You seem to be choosing to focus on it, and that's your problem. Get over it and move on.

All i'm saying is, I have as much liberal and community exposure as you do, and I never get picked on, discriminated against, or anything. What's the difference? We're both white males. I'm going to say that the difference is our attitudes.

Sorry to just butt into your conversation, but I think the difference is something we don't have to assume. Look at your locations. He's in NY, you're in NV. Completely different atmospheres, completely different types of liberals.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Sounds like someone tired of the same old excuse. Where I work the black people refused to hire a white manager because white people only help white people.

That despite this person was a manager for another unit where no one white or black had anything bad to say about him.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I can see how that would flip some folks switches... especially those who have been targeted by bigoted white folks.

That said... people take themselves and everyone else WAY too seriously.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Look this is the whole problem.

Of course there will be some people/groups/minorities/lawmakers/bosses/organizations that will discriminate, but probably the least discriminated against subset of the human race is the white male. A lot of that has to do with the classic power structure of the colonial age. White men used to have all the power in the colonial world/British empire.

But enough of history. It doesn't matter, because we're talking about the present.

Maybe you have been discriminated against. Maybe I have as well and was oblivious to it. But that's the whole crux of my opinion here. It's minor. You can move on. I have. No one job is that important. No one position is that important. No one company, organization, raise, career path, bankruptcy, firing, catastrophe, divorce, presidential election is that important in the future of your life.

I've been passed over for raises, been fired, been homeless, been arrested, been in debt, had cars reposessed been hospitalized, knocked out, chocked out, ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere and hopeless, but It can all be overcome.

Not getting that job in New York City is minor. In the US alone there are over 19,000 incorporated places...meaning towns or cities. And as of today on one job site there are almost 126,000 analyst jobs in the US alone.

I'm telling you to stop being a victim and move on.
Your ideology is blinding you. What is being described are areas that aren't helping actual social justice. Areas that are problematic and can and should be addressed. That's what real activism and scholarship looks like. Amateur, dogmatic,or disingenuous people refuse to discuss or debate. In no other area of life would most people consider that intelligent debate or solution seeking.

You have been brainwashed by racial essentialistic monolithic ideas, which ironically erase various cultures and differences within different races, and stereotypes everyone. Secondly, individuals matter. You don't get to claim that an individual experiencing a job loss or discrimination doesn't matter, because of YOUR beliefs and feelings. It's absurd, and disrespectful.

I can assume you would never tell a person of color to get over it and that it doesn't matter if they experienced the same.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

thanks man, we need more liberals not just giving assent to absurdities or keeping quiet. But you are right, especially identity politics has gone off the rails and is almost religious in its dogmatism. Any disagreement from its catechism can result in harsh social and even employment consequences. I think one day enough people will see its extremities and see it as faulty.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: dasman888
I can see how that would flip some folks switches... especially those who have been targeted by bigoted white folks.

That said... people take themselves and everyone else WAY too seriously.

But, but some people on this thread told me that having people say mean racist things doesn't matter... ?

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Sounds like someone tired of the same old excuse. Where I work the black people refused to hire a white manager because white people only help white people.

That despite this person was a manager for another unit where no one white or black had anything bad to say about him.
This is why the "no white person can experience real racism or prejudice because poc don't have power" is so faulty. Some people of color have positions of power, including for hiring and firing..

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

Sorry to just butt into your conversation, but I think the difference is something we don't have to assume. Look at your locations. He's in NY, you're in NV. Completely different atmospheres, completely different types of liberals.
Right, even northern ca where I grew up is a different breed of liberalism. Growing up there, many liberals were more of the ATS, counter culture types. Here in NYC they are much more the mainstream, pure sjw type.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

Could point but I've also lived in Maryland, West Virginia, Washington and Oregon. You can't tell me that Seattle and Portland Liberals aren't comparable.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I don't see our ideology as being very different.

I'm saying that most white people don't get discriminated against and when they do it's minor.

You're saying, I think, that some white people get discriminated against and it can be major and just as harmful as any racism or discrimination.

You seem to think that your education and work experience makes us extremely dissimilar. I disagree. I think we're more alike than different. You seem, to me, to equate your education and role as a "social" worker as giving you more clout in this discussion.

Yes, No?

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Sick of this backlash against whites

White and proud

I owe you nothing

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis
Sick of this backlash against whites

White and proud

I owe you nothing

There is no Backlash. You're life is good.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join