It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF Akrotiri 1972/3 UFO

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Hi All,

I was hoping any of you great people would be able to provide me with any further information regarding a mass sighting of a UFO that appeared above RAF Akrotiri sometime back in the early 70's.

My father was working alongside a number (Hundreds) of other servicemen on night shift one night when a very bright light appeared over the base. My father, who does not like to discuss this often (If at all) describes the UFO as miles wide light. It was so bright that everything became like daylight. He says it could be up to four to five miles wide (square / rectangle shape). He and many others walked outside of the hangers to take a look in to the sky. He said that when he got outside, it was difficult to look up. He had to cover/shield his eyes. He says that (to him) the object looked like a large frame of scaffolding?? It made no sound at all, but he says others who saw it spoke of feeling it?

It apparently hung around for a while, enough for several hundred people to get a good look at it.

I believe some jets were sent up to intercept or inspect the craft but at that instant it vanished?

I believe they were all made to describe and draw what they had all seen and to not discuss anything.

My father is a very humble and grounded person and never one to lie. He mentioned it once when he was drunk one night when I was a kid, but gets extremely shy about it when I've asked him since. I would love to know if anyone has any other information about this sighting.

I believe there may have been nuclear weapons there at that time? Dad was part of 617 squadron (Yes, Dam busters) but during this time it was the Avro Vulcan with a payload of "Blue-Steel" bombs. What with odd sightings at other nuclear bases, maybe this had something to do with it?

However, if Aliens were ever going to make a point and show up, they certainly did that night. Apparently this thing was HUGE. Horizon blocking HUGE.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Sounds quite amazing. I have never heard mention of this - hope someone has some more background.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Me too! It's pretty much for my own self satisfaction. However, because of his reluctance to talk about it, I need to know more!!

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Apparently a different one, but right place, right time.....
sightings.com

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Hi butcherguy,

Yes, I had seen that one before. Sadly, it's not it.
BUT THANKS!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The gaffers dad would of been over there at the time and when asking certain questions he goes very quiet but thats probably he's under the OSA (you can never reveal you are under the OSA) and while what he saw and worked on now is old hat and pretty much public knowledge he's got to take the safer option of keeping quiet.

A good few years ago we had during the night something go over our house (in the UK) that shook the place and scared the cats as it was such a very low frequency but loud noise and on mentioning it he went quiet again and he's been out of the forces for a good while.

Theres one advantage to living near the RAF base is that the red arrows do training there and they use the local kids as a way of seeing if the routine is good so the better the response the more they do it.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Obviously, knowing my father (as you do!) this is a fair assumption.

I've actually pressed him in the past as I too have conducted work for the Government in the past, however, not a peep. It's funny, it's almost like he was embarrassed?

Now my father knows me well (of course!) and he also knows I'm a UFO nut. But I don't really think that would stop him, seeing as it was him that first sparked my curiosity.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
It should be said that the gaffers family on her mothers side live in the area and her gran worked on the base and have never mentioned UFO's, if it was late 1974 and the troubles over there it could of been some sort of super secret craft to monitor the situation as if the Turks had gone and started to raid our golf balls in the mountains literally all hell could of happened.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria it could of been some sort of super secret craft to monitor the situation as if the Turks had gone and started to raid our golf balls in the mountains literally all hell could of happened.

Not wanting to derail this thread ok and I've discussed the sighting enough in the past. Having seen exactly that rectangular radiant white light ufo I can hoestly say they aren't ours.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Fairy nuff and nods head that way

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Ooo any further info........I'm all ears!

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Here is an incident, Cyprus, in 1971 - Close, anyway.

UFO , Cyprus 1971

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: CaptainBeno

Ooo any further info........I'm all ears!

Ay up Captain.................. it was exactly as you described, a rectangular shaped ship, pretty massive. Zoomed over us four times before we ran off. There were no discernable markings on it the only thing there was blinding white light amd it was rectangular like a block of light. You mentioned it being silent, well this one came just over our heads and the sound was like a roar. Maybe like almost an animals roar.

The precursor to the radiant white mothership was a mass of same coloured pair ufo orbs. The standard whites and amber/orange types, also the rarer red (this had a laser beam scanning facility), green, silver. Also an angle grinder white type that sprayed molten metal off it that morphed into an angel light ufo orb of unbelieavable whiter than white light. They grouped together to make a massive circle above us, freaky stuff but quite amazing. Anyway back to the radiant white mothership that at that point appeared from the sky.

When that mothership had zoomed over us four times we started legging it as we were convinced we were about to be abducted. As the mothership went and we ran down the trail ths really weird substance descended on us from above. It was like the speed snow falls but it was like strand of cotton, or candy floss. It was so strange like we were being crop sprayed with something. After mentioning this to someone they said it was quite common in a ufo sighting and that in the bible they call it Manna (gods food0 while modern day ufoolgists believe the substance of the radioactive discharge of a mothership zooming off to another dimension.

Your father definitely experienced something amazing that day in Akrotiri and a type of ship that has been seen around the world

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno

Could it be that your father, as he was inebriated when he told this story, simply fell victim to the urge to brag a little - so made up this incredible story just to impress you, then after sobering up realised that he had told a lie, found it difficult to come out with it, and that's why he is unwillling to talk about it?

Hundreds of people - amongst them no doubt civilians - whom had seen this HUGE flying square and not even a single mentioning of it in any newspaper? I find that quite hard to believe.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

ForteanOrg,

Hmm no. I don't think so. It had come across my mind but upon reflection and after the fact, no. He's just not like that. However, it wasn't told in a brag kind of way, it was more a "sheer amazement" way. Shocked even.

No one wants to believe that their fathers would embellish a story, no more so than me, however, I can definitely say this was truth, with a definite hint of "I shouldn't be telling you this, you'll think I'm mad" embarrassment thrown in.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Whaoh!! This sounds very similar indeed.

I've watched so many videos and read so many articles about UFOs over the years that my fathers story has morphed somewhat since he told me. But what was stated above in the original post is fact from my fathers mouth. I just wish there was others on here that could corroborate his story.

Thanks very much for the above
That would have been an amazing experience. I'm just a bit jealous

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Hi there, unfortunately your link won't work for me??

Thanks in advance!!

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

Sorry, original link went away, here is another...

Here is an incident, Cyprus, in 1971 - Close, anyway.
Updated Cyprus UFO link

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Link still isn't working, I'm guessin the website is getting filtered by ATS.

Just search for 'royal-marine-recalls-ufo-sighting-in-cyprus-1971/38941' and it'll pop up.

posted on Mar, 7 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: framedragged

Link still isn't working, I'm guessin the website is getting filtered by ATS.

Just search for 'royal-marine-recalls-ufo-sighting-in-cyprus-1971/38941' and it'll pop up.

Thanks, I was not even looking at the URL, The filter was in there... when copied, OpenMinds.tv gets replaced with %28nolink%29 .

new topics

top topics

join