It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump likes the idea of a president for life.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

BS? Your excuse for Trump is a huge stretch. The leader of the free world vocally says he would like to be president for life and this doesn't hit a nerve? Wow, what part of reality are you living in? Typical shallow excuse for Trump. Make assumptions about Obama with no clear factual basis.

You Trump supporters continue to ignore what comes out of the horses mouth, the numerous recorded videos that prove his blatant lies and contradictions, yet you still can't call out his wrongs. Trump is a pied piper for many supporters who can't step out of the box and truthfully criticize a wrong.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: DBCowboy

False dichotomy.

C) Realize that the president is a true jackass who is unfit for the office and should not be re-elected.

The was the narrative previously, and it didn't work.

I can't believe how many people are triggered over this, but I imagine that was the point. This is what would be known as a "s***post" on the internet.

Sounds like yuh been "triggered"

Yeah, I guess I do get triggered by other people being triggered over nonsense.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

triggered over nonsense.

And that is precisely the question isn't it. There seems to be a great divide over just exactly WHAT is nonsense.

So here is Trump ast a conference.

Xi Jinping has recently suspended term limits in China and is now going to be the next president of China.
Trump praises him as being the most powerful man in China. He has wonderful things to say about Xi.

Again, Xi has taken another step to becoming the absolute central authority in China, and Trump praises him for it.

Now, is it nonsense that the leader of China is moving to become a president(read here dictator) for life? Is that nonsense? I think not. I think that that is a step away from democracy and a step towards autocracy.

Is it nonsense that Trump praised Xi for his political move? No, it is not, he did and he has.

Now the crux of this little point.

The president of the United States praises a foreign leader for taking moves to become a life time president.
He then suggests that maybe we will do that some day in the US. Was he joking or was he serious.
Coming in the context of praising a foreign leader who has done it would he then joke about doing it here? Where is the joke. Where is the humor. I just don't get it.

Sure, he said it in a manner that could be laughed at. Sure, we heard the audio. For strong Trump supporters his words can be taken as just that, a joke, something to laugh at. However for non-supporters, those who do not see him through the eyes of the devout, we ask, how is this funny.

What we see in Trump is a Strongman Wannabe. He praises and looks fondly upon other Strongmen. Putin, Xi. We see Trump as thinking of himself in these terms. A Strongman leader. I could supply a list of quotes.

We do not want a Strongman leader. We want elected officials and officials who will step down when their time of service to the people has concluded, not leaders who will re-arrange our voting rights to suit his own path to absolute power.

Even joking about allowing a strongman or dictator to arise here can never be funny unless it is crouched in terms of sarcasm for the idea. Trump praised the notion for a strongman with no sarcasm so how could he then within seconds, turn around and joke sarcastically about one here? How?

My only answer to that is either, he has no idea what he was saying as he praised the notion in one sentence and then, if he was joking, belittled the notion in the very next sentence, or he was not so much joking but fantasizing on how he would like himself to be that Strongman for life.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
In the U.S.A.? What would be wrong with that/it? It wasn't until F.D.R. that a "term limit" was imposed on the "office" of the "president". It wasn't originally written into The C.O.T.U.S. The people/states should be able to retain a good executive, for as long as they are willing to serve.
Ironically, the powers that invoked this "law" have failed to invoke it upon their own "office".
The "power" of the president is almost laughable. The power of the "law" makers is not. The house needs "term limits".
I'd personally purpose a two term limit on the house. Which they wouldn't "vote" themselves for.

Side note: F.D.R. was one of the worst things that happened to the US. Probably why they did it. But they failed to look in the mirror and the Constitution.

edit on 5-3-2018 by murphy22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

You seem to have a personal problem with strong men. You should get yourself checked out.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
It was during a string o jokes and it worked perfectly. Trump is perfect

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

triggered over nonsense.

And that is precisely the question isn't it. There seems to be a great divide over just exactly WHAT is nonsense.

So here is Trump ast a conference.

Xi Jinping has recently suspended term limits in China and is now going to be the next president of China.
Trump praises him as being the most powerful man in China. He has wonderful things to say about Xi.

Again, Xi has taken another step to becoming the absolute central authority in China, and Trump praises him for it.

Now, is it nonsense that the leader of China is moving to become a president(read here dictator) for life? Is that nonsense? I think not. I think that that is a step away from democracy and a step towards autocracy.

Is it nonsense that Trump praised Xi for his political move? No, it is not, he did and he has.

Now the crux of this little point.

The president of the United States praises a foreign leader for taking moves to become a life time president.
He then suggests that maybe we will do that some day in the US. Was he joking or was he serious.
Coming in the context of praising a foreign leader who has done it would he then joke about doing it here? Where is the joke. Where is the humor. I just don't get it.

Sure, he said it in a manner that could be laughed at. Sure, we heard the audio. For strong Trump supporters his words can be taken as just that, a joke, something to laugh at. However for non-supporters, those who do not see him through the eyes of the devout, we ask, how is this funny.

What we see in Trump is a Strongman Wannabe. He praises and looks fondly upon other Strongmen. Putin, Xi. We see Trump as thinking of himself in these terms. A Strongman leader. I could supply a list of quotes.

We do not want a Strongman leader. We want elected officials and officials who will step down when their time of service to the people has concluded, not leaders who will re-arrange our voting rights to suit his own path to absolute power.

Even joking about allowing a strongman or dictator to arise here can never be funny unless it is crouched in terms of sarcasm for the idea. Trump praised the notion for a strongman with no sarcasm so how could he then within seconds, turn around and joke sarcastically about one here? How?

My only answer to that is either, he has no idea what he was saying as he praised the notion in one sentence and then, if he was joking, belittled the notion in the very next sentence, or he was not so much joking but fantasizing on how he would like himself to be that Strongman for life.

Its nonsense because Trump does not have that kind of power. Its nonsense because no US President will have that kind of power.

It was tongue in cheek, specifically for people who thought he would do something like Xi, the day he was inaugurated.

But if you're that worried about it, that's what the 2A is for.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell
You're a "fool",.. to a lot of folks. What will you be, in your "for life", that belongs to you? Most likely, a "fool". Whatever you have now? Can be taken. See how easy that is? What you say, means nothing! Pretty awesome ain't it? You're not like the founders, that wrote a "Declaration of Independence", sent to a "King". You're not them, those that gambled their life and treasure. You're not even close. You'd fold like an envelope whenever your "freedom" is in jeopardy. It's best for you and the good OF those you "LOVE". To un'F YOURSELF right now! Because it's coming, and it ain't Trump.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons
The President doesn't "make law". So what would be wrong if he/she "served" until death? I'd be more concerned about the people that actually hold "law making" ability, hanging out in and "profiteering from "elected".. "authority".

You seem to lash out in ignorance, not understanding or knowing history.

I'd suggest shutting up and going on to "higher education". Before making a fool of yourself. But that's just me. I don't get my Ideology/or knowledge, from CNN.
Here's an American, "legal fact" for you. Until F.D.R.? Nobody had a problem with the idea of a multi term President.
I wonder why? Go back a study history before you reply. Because I'll rip you a new one, in front of god and everyone on this "forum" if you don't.
I'll even help you out. Go read the C.O.T.U.S and see/learn what power/authority, the President actually has. ....End of hint/help.
Jr. High, American civics, should pretty much, sum it up.
But they don't teach that anymore.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

You forget about executive orders.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

2 four year terms has been destructive enough the last two POTUS in a row now.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Yeah, I get that and agree, he could not bring it off , nor do I think he would even try.
That is unless we faced some unprecedented and looming disaster. So yeah, it was tongue in cheek.
I think I might like to watch him in a sit com as I never watched the apprentice. He does make funny faces and gestures

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Wolf wolf.... oh wait...

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   
NEWS FLASH

America in 12+ years won't have a president... So his declaration in jest or not is quite empty... like his head.

Deny Ignorance

p.s A correction, they'll be far more pressing issues facing America and the world for that matter... How to feed 7.5 billion when your in the middle of a "dark age"(dark/dim skies) and pre 500,000 year Ice Age?... The ice age/dark age being a logical response to a major caldera super eruption.

May I suggest you worry about those that might seek to drastically decrease that number before the event. After all I can guarantee none of us are on a safe list.

edit on 6-3-2018 by DreamerOracle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DreamerOracle

Actually, your post in this thread is the most relevant. All of our back and forths are moot entertainment in the in the face of near future unfoldings.

If not a major cladera or any other ''Act of God'' that could place all our dreams of a better world in the toilet, the pressing tensions of populations and our inability to really deal with little more than the fragrance of our hair gel is catching up with us quickly.

I guess that some of my chagrin over his latest remark is due to my own decades long wondering on just how long we can even keep up this charade of democracy as the existential threats of continued survival close in on us. Pressure Cooker Earth is boiling physically, psychologically and emotionally.

I think my old liberal dream of we the people lifting ourselves up from near unconscious behavior into full bloom cognizant individuals capable of at least steering our civilization in a manner which will give us a chance to find our way through the mire that we face is is fading. It is becoming clear to me that this is not happening to the degree that will be necessary to make it through the bottle neck shift from here, 0.7 to 1.0 type civilization on the Kardashev scale.

A Big Brother, a Strongman culture is to limiting in it's structure. It is a single machine which runs only on it's own momentum and fails to utilize the myriad potentials that could come forth from a society of free and independent people. We will need more than one machine to get us to type 1.0

While the Strongman leadership model may be inevitable, as our society crumbles in on itself and we revert to a stagnant feudalist state it is still mine to rail against it. And that I suppose was my motive in the OP. That here is a man, and clearly to many of us a man who would desire to be that Strongman making jokes about how nice it would be to be the ruler of that failed future.

THanks for your remarks because it has helped me to clarify my own sense of disgust with Trump.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join