It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"It's Easier to get a Gun in School than to get GOD in School"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
If you want God in schools ad you want to be YOUR God, then you best not send your kids to private school. Just send them to a religious school of your choosing.

Can't afford it? Just work harder.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical
If you want God in schools ad you want to be YOUR God, then you best not send your kids to private school. Just send them to a religious school of your choosing.

Can't afford it? Just work harder.

That's not actually the topic per se.

I think probably half the website will respond to the title and maybe the first few paragraphs generally.

My style often is to develop a thought in depth through the progession of posts and to express a point through that progression.

So not only do I expect someone to read my posts but to also read between the lines and figure out what I'm really saying.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
In the most simple terms possible - this is my point:

1) Almost everyone is a selfish jerk.
2) Almost no one is cool with teaching respectful behavior.
3) Therefore children need vests.
edit on 3/5/2018 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I really happy that you, a "liberal" minded poster, that often sides with that perspective - actually took the time to read what I said and "got my point" perfectly.

My goal was definitely to find common ground between liberals and conservatives and to make a very sensible critique and propose a simple solution.

The part about "screw it lets give the kids vests" is a touch of jaded cynicism and realism to underline just how disappointed I am with our current state of affairs.

I always believe a good well rounded education is the ultimate solution to almost all of our problems as a society.

Thank you so much Kayla. You are very intelligent and thoughtful.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I'm sure those point has been brought up but...

Compared to the rest of the First World we are the most religious nation. I mean acceptance of evolution was right around 50/50 just a few years ago.

So, if lack of God is the problem, why do we have more school shootings by the end of February than more secular nations have in a decade?

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
I'm sure those point has been brought up but...

Compared to the rest of the First World we are the most religious nation. I mean acceptance of evolution was right around 50/50 just a few years ago.

So, if lack of God is the problem, why do we have more school shootings by the end of February than more secular nations have in a decade?

Our veneer of "we're so religious" is pure window dressing. In reality we are the biggest hypocrites and so poorly educated we don't even know what we preach about.

People cling to a few simplistic cliches and think they got it all figured out. We cherry pick and sweep everything else under the rug consistently.

Evolution vs Intelligent Design is a great example of our poor comprehension skills. We think that debate is about "God" when in reality it is a controversy over details and assumptions, over semantics and metaphors.

Religion and law originated as a guide to help us live loving happy productive lives helping each other. It has been corrupted and twisted into all of these petty disputes and used for negative agendas - but that doesn't nullify it's original purpose to improve us and our relationships.

We must apply critical thinking here and cut through all the BS and get right to the heart of our problem.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: muzzleflash

Any specific God or just the one that's related to Jesus?
People tend to get upset with a Koran in school too.

That and I think religion has gotten more people killed than guns ever will.

Oh yes, absolutely 100% correct.

Every single war in Recorded Human history have all been because of religion.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: jidnum

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Any specific God or just the one that's related to Jesus?
People tend to get upset with a Koran in school too.

That and I think religion has gotten more people killed than guns ever will.

Oh yes, absolutely 100% correct.

Every single war in Recorded Human history have all been because of religion.

Like WW1 + 2? Vietnam? The Punic Wars? Korea? Boer Wars? Napoleonic Wars? Oh maybe the US Civil War? Spanish American War? Etc...

I mean cmon, most wars are fought for political or economic reasons...

You guys don't read much.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Oh I have. And when one talks about morals, normally it is down with a religious aspect to such a topic. Parents are not going to accept such being taught in schools, finding that such borders on the religious teaching, thus the question of which religion or denomination is being taught.

Going with a philosophic approach, some denominations of Christianity would object highly to, viewing such as an attack on their religious beliefs and corrupting the views of their children. The more evangelical and conservative denominations will not tolerate such even being remotely taught to a child.

The bottom line is that morality has to be taught at home, by the parents and family. It should not be taught in the school, or it will be the same problem with the entire Sex ed being taught in the schools, where it has to be one way with no other way taught. And that has turned out to be an absolute failure.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

It's very rare children are taught anything at home.

And I challenge you to cite a moral I suggested be taught that people will disagree with.

Is it controversial to teach kindness and sympathy? What about integrity?

I am skeptical and do not believe you even have a valid argument at all. Prove me wrong please.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I accept your challenge and here goes:

The reason why it will not work, is that there is a duality here that you fail to take into account for, that others and I have been stating to you time and time again, that is that this needs to be done at home, and not in the school.

I know of several groups that would object to teaching children respect, kindness and love, both Christian oriented and other religions. And that is in their own house of worship, and one can see such in the very sermons that they give and that children will often see and hear. And then there is what the child sees at home, and the parents do. So what is a child to do, if they teach respect in school, but at home watch as their parent shows the exact opposite? Teach kindness in school, but in church get the exact opposite against one group or another? And love is pretty touchy, cause in some cases a child hugging another could end up getting into trouble, with both the school and the parents.

There is one major religion that would not take too kindly to the teaching of kindness or sympathy, cause it would contradict the very fundamental teachings. Such would lead to attachment, that in turn would cause further suffering, thus leading to the downfall of the person.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 04:34 AM
link   
It's probably easier to get a gun in school than to get God in Church (with the understanding that I mean accurate honest truthful information about God, not the teachings of Trinitarianism and Christendom+hypocrisy*).

*: for example, when is the last time any Trinitarian preacher (or teacher within Christendom) reminded their flock of this verse (including the literal translation which is sort of significant in relation to their support of the military industrial complex that Eisenhower spoke about)...

2 Cor.10:3

For though we walk in the flesh, we do not wage warfare* [ Lit., “we are not doing military service.”] according to what we are in the flesh.

Instead of the Word of God without any twisting, the average Church-goer gets this twisted stuff:

TIME TO GIVE UP ON RELIGION, WHERE IS GOD
edit on 6-3-2018 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   

utter bollox - if you cannot diffrentiate between " god " - and " the practice of a religion "

then its time for you to give up

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

I do disagree strongly with all fallacious doctrines and dogmas found in all belief systems.

That's why we need a significant restructuring of our education system.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

utter bollox - if you cannot diffrentiate between " god " - and " the practice of a religion "

then its time for you to give up

If you cannot understand any point I ever try to make here on ATS it's time for you to try harder.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Kids are not being taught at home. They watch tv and play video games.

You are in denial, we have massacres at school going on.

Instead of teaching kids valuable lessons you propose what? Do nothing? So you want more shootings or what? Please wake the # up!

And stop bringing up Christianity as some strawman to attack my position with. I never promoted any specific group in my dissertation. You cannot pin me on that.

And the Buddhists will not protest, they will accept like they always do. You aren't calculating these equations correctly

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I swear half of you are either defeatists "let's give up" and or well molded mind controlled servants to the allmighty govt and repeat exactly what you have been indoctrinated with by the media propaganda.

It's all illogical and increasingly frustrating.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
a reply to: whereislogic

I do disagree strongly with all fallacious doctrines and dogmas found in all belief systems.

That's why we need a significant restructuring of our education system.

Hasn't that been done to death already in the past 6000 years? Just like restructuring of political systems (from Monarchies to Republics, to Democracies to Corporate Republics). Doesn't seem to work. Noble intentions, but we probably need something more drastic with a little help from above.

The Key to a Happy World

Can Humans Govern Themselves?

When God created humans, he gave them authority over the animal kingdom. (Genesis 1:26) But humankind was under God’s sovereignty. The first man and woman were to confirm their submission to God by obediently abstaining from the fruit of one particular tree, “the tree of the knowledge of good and bad.” (Genesis 2:17) Sadly, Adam and Eve abused their free moral agency and disobeyed God. Taking the forbidden fruit was not simply an act of theft. It constituted rebellion against God’s sovereignty. A footnote to Genesis 2:17 in The New Jerusalem Bible states that Adam and Eve laid claim “to complete moral independence by which man refuses to recognise his status as a created being . . . The first sin was an attack on God’s sovereignty.”

Because of the serious moral issues involved, God allowed Adam and Eve and their descendants to choose their own way of life, and they established their own standards of right and wrong. (Psalm 147:19, 20; Romans 2:14) In essence, the human experiment with self-determination then began. Has it been successful? With the advantage of thousands of years of hindsight, we can say no! Ecclesiastes 8:9 states: “Man has dominated man to his injury.” This lamentable record of human self-rule confirms the truthfulness of Jeremiah 10:23: “I well know, O Jehovah, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.” History has proved that humans do not have the capacity to rule successfully without their Creator.

First Amendment Champions
edit on 6-3-2018 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Yeah because it should be easy to foist your imaginary made up God on the entire country as if this mythical being is anything other than a murderous serial killer. Way worse than the people shooting up schools I may add. I dont want my kids indoctrinated into this middle eastern cult.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Any God? Allah? Or the Christian God? Or maybe Mars...the God of War?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join