It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20-year-old Dick's employees are quitting their jobs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Business Insider

"I cannot be the face of these new gun policies in affect [sic]," the letter reads. "I find them morally and constitutionally wrong. I refuse to be a part of a corporation with these liberal policies." Mccullar — who identifies himself as a 20-year-old avid hunter — apologizes for the inconvenience, stating that otherwise he had great experiences with Dick's coworkers and management.

"I firmly believe that it is morally and constitutionally wrong to infringe upon the rights of a law abiding citizen in any way, and I will not work for a company that pushes for the restriction of the Second Amendment," Degarmo wrote. "Also I will not take part in the systematic discrimination Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Edward Stack has arbitrarily decided to implement."

Thinking long term this could soften dicks new policies to the point that even 60's style discrimination of 18-21 yo comes undone. Yep i believe that there is a suit in the works and not only dick's & wal-mart's new policies will be shot down in the courts along with all restrictions on 18-21yo's.

I have been clear from the start in my position and i believe i am correct that it is simply discrimination to force age limits on buying guns. The only restrictions that can legally be placed on the 2nd is one of ability and not age.

18-21 should be able to purchase with military id or training certificate certifying ones ability to bare arms.

NO OTHER RESTRICTIONS ARE CONSTITUTIONAL

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
While I admire him for his conviction, he still needs a job. In the current climate we are in, jobs are hard to come by. Being 20, he only has a year or so and he can do what he likes.
The government or Dicks won't take any notice of this. In a few hours he'll be sitting at home without a job. Sometimes you just have to bite your tongue and carry on.

+18 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

18-21 should be able to purchase with military id or training certificate certifying ones ability to bare arms.

Strange, I can't seem to recall that part of the 2nd.

+46 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Thinking long term this could soften dicks

I can't stop laughing...

+23 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Wow. I guess that there ARE some millennials that CAN think for themselves.

And I wouldn't worry too much about employment. Any kid as intelligent as this one won't have any problems finding work.

Kudos to you kid!

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

A private company can set policies however they like. The constitution pertains to the government, not private entities.

For example, saying certain things can get you banned on ATS, and that isn't violating your 1A rights.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

I don't recall the 2nd saying anything about ability either.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Though we may not agree with the policy it is totally legal.

In my state, Ohio, it is perfectly legal for a parent to take their underage child to a bar and buy liquor for them.

However, under establishment law, we also have the right to refuse them service.

There are also several nightclubs around that are 25 and over. Despite the legal age being 21.

If they decided not to sell firearms to people over 40 then they'd have a lawsuit on their hands.

Over 40 is a protected class. Under 21 is not.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Odd post considering most states already have age requirements for purchasing a gun. I wonder why these haven’t been challenged in the SC?

Texas you can possess at any age, but cannot purchase until 18 and are unable to purchase a handgun until 21.

Now that you’ve cleared up the issue I expect to see discrimination lawsuits flying left and right 🙄🙄🙄

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Wait...it's okay if a cake company doesn't want to sell a cake that goes against their religious beliefs, but it's not okay for a company to restrict sales to someone under 21, just because it's a gun?

I think it's a bit of a double standard here...

And yes, if the 20 year olds don't like it, then they can certainly go somewhere else to work. That's free market economy. If that hurts "Dick's" gun sales and their bottom line tremendously, they will be forced to change policy, right?

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I admire these people standing up for our rights.
Not easy finding jobs these days so it is no small sacrifice on their part.
Corporate management jumping on every political bandwagon is disheartening.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
double post
edit on 3-3-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

A private company can set policies however they like. The constitution pertains to the government, not private entities.

For example, saying certain things can get you banned on ATS, and that isn't violating your 1A rights.

Yes, they can. Absolutely. Just like this kid can decide NOT to work there, if he wants, because of Dick's idiotic pandering to the alt-left regressives in this country.

link   
So do you believe it is Dick's, or any corporation or gun dealer's, constitutional obligation to sell guns to US citizens?

If Walmart stopped selling guns altogether do you think a lawsuit could force them to start selling again? What about their constitutional rights? I failed to read anywhere in the 2nd where anyone is obligated to sell guns.

Or is it the raising of the age restriction that bothers you? Is it unconstitutional for a store to set their own age limit? How is it that an age limit of 18 is okay but 21 is not? I also fail to read anything in the 2nd about age limits. I don't see the merits of a lawsuit in this regard, if you do please explain.

link   
a reply to: abe froman

However, under establishment law, we also have the right to refuse them service.

Yep, and a gun dealer can refuse a sale for any reason they want and, as far as I know, they don't even have to disclose the reason to anybody.

The only way this restriction is a problem legally is in the states that permit sales of rifles to 18-21 year olds and even then, the dealer can still refuse the sale.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
At first glance this would appear to be a negative on their work history, much as a possible arrest might, but the Rapid change in society may and likely will bring new forces and discard old forces that shaped our value systems.

New, Norm, Discarded... It's a new generation that will assume the reins of society, and it is evident their values are not ours.... that is, us Baby Boomers.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
I admire these people standing up for our rights.
Not easy finding jobs these days so it is no small sacrifice on their part.
Corporate management jumping on every political bandwagon is disheartening.

Finding a job in retail, like working at Dicks, is as easy as finding a job as a waiter.

It’s not like this person took a real stand. He quit a job I can literally go get by the end of the day today.

He’s fine to use this as his reason to quit, but it’s not like he’s risking anything. Retail jobs are a dime a dozen. For perspective, Dicks is taking an infinitely bigger risk in their business by the policy changes they’ve made.
edit on 3-3-2018 by GeechQuestInfo because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-3-2018 by GeechQuestInfo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: GeechQuestInfo

You are being idiotic.

Do you really believe that having your GOD givin rights taken away to be no big deal?

Get your head where it can see daylight before they take that too.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: rhynouk
While I admire him for his conviction, he still needs a job. In the current climate we are in, jobs are hard to come by. Being 20, he only has a year or so and he can do what he likes.
The government or Dicks won't take any notice of this. In a few hours he'll be sitting at home without a job. Sometimes you just have to bite your tongue and carry on.

no
you wish
this is not going away

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

still lacking comprehension skills

the only thing strange is your ability to pretend

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join