It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland’s Leading Role on the World Energy Stage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Iceland might be a small country, but it is an international powerhouse--generating more clean energy than it can use--and has become a nexus for scientists and experts in the field. Its first hydropower plant in opened in 1937, and since then Iceland has been investing in sustainable energy, producing experts in the field and providing a valuable training ground to meet the world’s growing demand for renewable energy. I joined a friend there last November by flying into Reykjavik where she was attending a series of on-site field studies with the Arctic Remote Energy Networks Academy to learn about the country’s use of geothermal and hydro energy. Through this experience I became aware of several exciting initiatives in the energy field.

Ljosafoss, Iceland’s oldest operating power plant. Thursday, Nov 9, 2017.

ARENA participants are a group of dynamic individuals focused on harvesting renewable, clean energy to power remote arctic communities. They represent municipalities in the United States, Canada, Greenland and Russia that are currently operating on a micro-grid power system and seek innovative ways to supplement their limited energy resources. The on-site trip to Iceland marked ARENA’s final and most comprehensive field study. They logged class hours with two leading experts, toured key sites, and presented their culminating projects--initiatives ranging from geothermal pools and greenhouses in Alaska to increasing the number and capacity of already functioning wind turbines and solar panels in Greenland.

Geothermal greenhouse in Flúðir

With scientists Dr. Páll Valdimarsson and Lúdvík S. Georgsson as guides, ARENA toured local geothermal springs, power plants, industrial factories, geothermal greenhouses and stunning natural attractions, learning about key components of renewable energy in the process. The holistic, measured approach Iceland takes when harvesting renewable energy is evident in its clean environment and dramatic energy output, making it the perfect model for countries looking for sustainable alternatives to fossil fuel. The world is on the verge of unprecedented developments in the utilization of energy, and Iceland is spearheading the movement with the power to change lives.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

It does not get much better than geothermal.. Iceland certainly has their fair share of places where geothermal sources can be tapped.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Absolutely right, they have an abundance of resources to tap into!

I found this article while writing this up-- looks like Iceland is drilling down deep enough to reach even hotter temps to employ.. really interesting stuff!

time.com...
edit on 2-3-2018 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Fantastic Iceland

It's easier for them though, given their sparse population and resources but it just goes to show how far energy production, innovation has become. At this trend much of the outdated sources of energies should become obsolete by the end of this century (at least I hope so).

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

Fantastic Iceland

It's easier for them though, given their sparse population and resources but it just goes to show how far energy production, innovation has become. At this trend much of the outdated sources of energies should become obsolete by the end of this century (at least I hope so).

Also they managed to get rid of the thieving central banks from sucking their economy dry.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Producing energy to heat their environment and complain about global warming. lol.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I hope so too!

I was really surprised and cheered at how the acivity in the field right now. Our guide had just returned from a trip to China when we met him, and since then has been traveling and busy.

Reading up on the scene was interesting. The top ten goethermal producers are:

US – 3,093 MW as of 2010
Philippines – 1,904 MW
Indonesia – 1,197 MW
Mexico – 958 MW
Italy – 843 MW
New Zealand – 628 MW
Iceland – 575 MW
Japan – 536 MW
El Salvador – 204 MW
Kenya – 167 MW

sustainabletechnologyforum.com...

I was pretty surprised to see that!
edit on 2-3-2018 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

idk... living on top of a volcano you are bound to heat up your environment, I suppose!

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
a reply to: 3daysgone

idk... living on top of a volcano you are bound to heat up your environment, I suppose!

True. I just found it kind of funny, but if you are going to use energy this would be the way to do it.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Iceland also kicked bankers and energy producers to the curb by cutting oil out. With out oil they were no longer beholden to the IMF. And the apocalypse that everyone thought was going to happen didn’t.

The IMF is a joke. They want you to be be in fear of of an energy shortage. So if you see MSM stories saying that... well be smart and realize that you are being lied to.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

Fantastic Iceland

Also they managed to get rid of the thieving central banks from sucking their economy dry.

They caught the bitcoin thieves that stole 600 computers.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
With out oil they were no longer beholden to the IMF.

Yet Iceland needed IMF assistance to address the state of the nation following he collapse of their banks not so long ago. Besides. Iceland still needs to import petrochemicals.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   
If only they could harness the power of Bjorks voice...

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
If only they could harness the power of Bjorks voice...

Sugar cubes rocked!!

Regina!

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I think an equally exciting idea you presented is - self sustaining communities that can at least produce their own food, with these sort of greenhouses.

That way it is impossible for the sort of social breakdown that has happened in Venezuela - where people are struggling to eat and survive, due to hyperinflation and not having money. I heard there were people breaking into zoos to steal animals to eat.

----

Perhaps you can create geothermal plants in most places if you can dig down deep enough.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Yes!

I completely agree that there is so much potential here. It's looking like we are fast developing knowledge that (if put in the right hands) can benefit lives everywhere. That anyone should die for lack of food is reprehensible.

new topics

top topics

join