It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aldi Grocery Stores something odd

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Glad you wrote this. I used to shop at Aldi 8-10 years ago. Then, I noticed a big change. The veggies and frozen food tasted odd and the cheeses, milk and eggs had no flavor.

Luckily, I was in Florida where there were more grocery stores with discounts with much better choices and acceptable prices.

Now, in Georgia, Aldi is everywhere but I don't ever shop there. Even Walmart is better.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
well, as someone who shopped at Trader Joe's and Aldi it's nothing like Trader Joe's

Agreed. Aldi is more like food you get at a 99 Cent Store.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Duplicate from earlier.... weird
edit on 322018 by Butterfinger because: sorry

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I love me some Aldi's!

They started over in Germany, and are one of the leading grocery chains in Europe, with stores constantly opening in the states.

They're looked at as a discount store for multiple reasons:
1. They make you use a quarter as collateral for a shopping cart - This allows them to save an hourly wage for cart getters.
2. They make you either bring or buy your own bags, saving them tons of money on handing those out for free.
3. They primarily sell the off brand foods - The same products that are labeled "Great Value" and such. The majority (roughly 65% of the store brand items come form the same company, so quality wise you're about even.

all of this mixed with cashiers that also stock the shelves and clean, equal massive discounts on food, and are actually on par with bulk food costs from places like Gordon food services.

That being said, just as with the other grocery chains and their "store" brands, I always stay away from the produce and certain meats. It doesn't seem to be as much (*price per ounce) as actual name brands, and tend to be of lesser quality.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I don't know what it is, but the few times I have shopped there it seems like something is wrong with the food, it is hard for me to explain,

Let me explain. It's cheap crap.
edit on 2/3/2018 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
How do you know that Aldi isn't the exception here and it's the other supermarkets that are 'lifeless'.
Do you honestly think that name brand food manufacturers are saintly and fresh? You're sadly mistaken.

Aldi refused GMO AND irradiated food. Any base level investigation would reveal that.
Maybe it's a funny taste BECAUSE nothing has beem added....

The reason, as any business minded person can see, that Aldi is so much cheaper is tenfold!
They have NO investors to cater to.
Their whole operation is 'in house'.
Their staff work 300% harder than other retailers.
They focus on productivity and labour targets.
They dont let slow ass people pack at the checkout and ask that you take your items to 'the bench'.

There's a lot of things wrong with Aldi (as any job review site will show) but cheap food isn't one of them!
Lifeless food. Hahahahhaa that's a new one.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm My family shops at Aldi's regularly. It's probably the same as any manufactured food, just with a different badge.
Many years ago I was a plant supervisor at a dairy facility that also mixed and packaged orange juice. Although there were 30 different customers for the OJ, the juice itself was exactly the same across all brands. I remember the brand Minute Maid, in the store, was almost twice as much per half gallon as the IGA brand... Same juice, different dough. So yeah, we like it..

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: toysforadults
well, as someone who shopped at Trader Joe's and Aldi it's nothing like Trader Joe's

Agreed. Aldi is more like food you get at a 99 Cent Store.

Aldis has name brand products. They also carry their own line of organic foods.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I have been to an Aldi once, I felt the exact same way you did.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Not quite.. We shop for all our staples at Aldi's.. Kroger's (more expensive) for some.. Cattleman's meats and Dearborn Sausage for the rest.

I seemed to notice a albeit small less-then 100% effect, quality, overall feeling that you mention

Aldi's is 100 yrs old... came here from Germany... I get though how you feel... less than.. something....

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

originally posted by: JAGStorm
So I've been cooking a loooong time, gardening a long time, and have an above average knowledge of different foods from around the world. I can taste tell most organic foods from non organic and have above average sense of smell.

We have these stores called Aldi, it is super discount, no frills type of grocery store. I don't know what it is, but the few times I have shopped there it seems like something is wrong with the food, it is hard for me to explain, but if I had to put it in words, their food has no life source to it, it seems dead. I can't even explain it, even Walmart grocery seems to be better. The food looks fine, it looks fresh, there isn't anything cosmetically wrong with it. Here is the conspiracy twist to it, this is generally sold to lower income and/or elderly folks. Sure there are others that shop there, but I'm talking about generally who they cater to. Of course i'd love to shop there and save money, but my intuition just tells me no.

Anyone else have experience with this place?

We shop at Aldi sometimes. It's the supermarket equivalent of a dollar store: everything is the absolute cheapest they can get. There are few if any nationally-recognized brand names. They have no bags; you are expected to bring your own. The shopping carts are chained together, and you have to insert a quarter into a little slot to unlock one. You get the quarter back when you return the cart. This is probably a sensible precaution in low-income areas, but it seems rather out-of-place in the quiet suburban area where the Aldi near me is located.

Here in the UK we have Aldi and Lidl, it seems there were business partners, or perhaps brothers who started one company and then the two fell out and setup similar, rival stores. While they are discount stores I don't see them as being cheap and nasty.

Clearly you're taking American Aldi and I'm talking UK Aldi. So it will be different. Ours started out no bags but it didn't catch on and complaints ensued so they changed that. And what you say about trolleys used to fee universal around here but now, ironically, it's the cheaper stores like Aldi, Lidl, B&M, Home Bargains and Poundland that tend to do this now the big stores like Asda (Walmart owned), Tesco, Sainsbury etc don't charge (perhaps as they have sophisticated devices that don't allow trolleys to move beyond a certain point that the cheaper stores can't afford)

Aldi itself I prefer out of it and Lidl, the veg is healthier and fresher and even looks better than. Lidl (I assume there are even regional variations in quality around the UK).

Where I really like these stores is the centre, non-potable Isles where you can get all kinds of wonderful things (tools and bike/outdoor stuff are my favourite).

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown
Many years ago I was a plant supervisor at a dairy facility that also mixed and packaged orange juice. Although there were 30 different customers for the OJ, the juice itself was exactly the same across all brands.

Happens with everything. When I worked for K-Mart long ago in the auto department, Mobil made our house-brand oil, which we sold for 50 percent less than the name-brand. Same exact stuff.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Aldi is a German chain in origin, operates on an 'own brand' basis (as has been pointed out by others), and has been consistently successful in Germany.

The format of the own brand labelling seems to my eye to be very close to well know original brands - eg the Aldi own labelling for baked beans actually echoes Heinz - so whether Aldi have really smart lawyers or have negotiated a smart white labelling deal I dont know.

I have noticed Aldi can sizes are smaller than those of the white labelled product,, eg a can of Aldi beans is 90% the weight of an equivalent Heinz can.

Fruit and veg has always seemed to taste fine to me, but doesn't last long according to my wife. I have a theory on this: In, typically, Germany shopping is done daily or multiple times a week. The fruit and veg is eaten before it fades, even though it fades quickly. As far as I'm aware Aldi don't sell food for home delivery, but have numerous small local supermarkets in the UK.

Meat and fish has rarely disappointed, and on some occasions surprised positively, in terms of quality. Actually I bought a cheap Aldi turkey, brined it to a Nigella Lawson recipe, and it was superb.

I have travelled a lot in Germany and always found the quality of the food to be excellent. One thing I like about Aldi is they do put German food on the shelves in the UK - schnitzel, bratwurst, saurekraut, etc. - which seems directly imported.

I also like the way Aldi sells goods as well as food, it makes shopping a lot more interesting.

In the UK leading grocery chains, such as Tesco and Sainsbury's,have been shaken to the core but the success or brands like Aldi and Lidl (also from Germany).

I suspect the new comers are simply not following the 'custom and practice' route of UK grocery supermarkets (opening huge out of town superstores, selling instore baking and banking, carrying a gazillion lines of product, and fetting cozy with suppliers), and are instead sticking to the knitting of buying in, and selling on, well.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Aldis has name brand products. They also carry their own line of organic foods.

I wonder if there is a big regional difference. They source a lot of their stuff locally, right? Maybe some regions of the country have different ways of labeling and supplying food to Aldis, and that accounts for the subtle variations in quality.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Not quite.. We shop for all our staples at Aldi's.. Kroger's (more expensive) for some.. Cattleman's meats and Dearborn Sausage for the rest.

I seemed to notice a albeit small less-then 100% effect, quality, overall feeling that you mention

Aldi's is 100 yrs old... came here from Germany... I get though how you feel... less than.. something....

Except for chocolate. Aldi's chocolate is delicious...especially when compared to, say, Hershey's.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Except for chocolate. Aldi's chocolate is delicious...especially when compared to, say, Hershey's.

That's because Aldi Chocolate comes from Germany. One thing America just can't seem to get right is Chocolate, for some reason....

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Either you're a picky s# and trying to whine for the sake of it on the sly, or it's just your store. We shop there frequently to bookend what we get from a local mom & pop grocery store, the produce is quite comparable, and Mom & Pop gets theirs from local farms. I've never noticed any visible or taste difference in it. The only things that I'd consider sub-par by comparison are the Chilean blueberries, but I live in MI -- blueberries from anywhere else are junk to my tastebuds, MI ones are seriously high quality.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The reason for the quarter in the cart is not because of cart thieves but rather cost/ employee reduction. They don’t hire employees to return carts. That’s why they don’t have bags or employees bagging food either. The small handful of employees they hire run the cash registers and do the stock. This is the reason they can keep food costs extremely cheap!
reply to: AndyFromMichigan

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Indeed it is, the Moser Roth chocolate is excellent. My kids thought they hit the jackpot when we got them Moser Roth advent calendars for December

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Don't know what its like in the US but here in the UK they work on a no frills system, theres a bench behind the tills for you to pack your stuff into your bag(s) and its more designed around the fact you refill every few days not get a months worth of stuff in.

The stores in the UK are designed around the fact that they can catch the pedestrians as much as the car driver as their locations are picked to allow a lot of people to be quickly served so customer care is a lot less than the normal supermarkets who just have someone sitting and waiting for someone to ask a question doing nothing.

Never had any problems with lidl/aldi stuff going off fast but I'm one of those people who shops for stuff every few days as not having kids I can be more flexible.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join