It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible translation stirs gender debate

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terral
The Qur'an is a work of men that shall never come alive for anyone. The fact that you can even draw this kind of comparison reveals your Bible to be very much DEAD.

No Terral. The fact is that you can't prove something is from God simply by quoting that it claims to be. You can't quote the bible saying that it's from God to prove that its' from God. You can't quote the quran saying that it's holy to prove that its' holy. OUTSIDE sources must be used. A thing can't give backup to itself.

THIS IS COMMON SENSE.

It's just like in English class in school. You can't use a word to describe the meaning of a word.

Please forgive if everything you say is taken with a half grain of salt

Yeah, like you were really listening to anything I, a 'weak-minded woman' said anyways

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Terral, I will like to know in your own words and not quoting from the bible, what the role of women should be in your opinion?

Do you respect women? and the role she plays as part of the human species?

Just wonder.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
A room full of 100 newborn babies:
Show me one that is more loved then another.
Show me one that is smarter then the next.
These babies are newborns. They are a joy to the world, and without judgement.

I take it you haven't ever been in a delivery ward for more than a few minutes at a time? Work in a hospital for a few months. You'll change your mind.

Babies that are born mentally handicapped are pretty easy to spot. Lots of parents resent or dislike the newborn. There are a lucky few whose parents adore them.

Maybe you'd better try another analogy.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
To return to the topic....

I don't much care for these "re-translations" because they lose a lot of the flavor of the Bible. I don't think that re-gendering the bible solves any of the problems that people have with it and I sure don't think that if you bring it to an ardent feminist that said feminist will suddenly say "wow! My eyes are opened! I was wrong!"

I do think it gives some a "comfort zone." I just don't think it's terribly accurate.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
How about you reread my analogy more carefully....

If the world started out with you and someone you loved with all your heart. And that love was given to each and every child born, and each child acted with the fullest love towards everyone , and there was love and unity, what would the world be like....

The first key words are "if world started out".
The second are "you and someone you loved with all your heart".
The third is "love was given to each and every child born"

What would the world be like..In other words..how would the whole world be if everyone was like yourself.

If the world isnt how you would like it to be, then there is room for change.

A world where there is true love means no Gender Debate..No Racism..No borders..hell, not even any commerce. When was the last time your mom charged you for a pair of shoes when you were growing up?

Its a damm sad day in the world when a baby is born unloved. I am saddened if your working in a delivery room without that love in your heart; I suggest you resign your position.

There is no rethinking a world of everyone loving each other. Man, woman and child, nature, and God, whatever you percieve him or her to be..The world works best that way..Not up for debate, not even to be questioned.

Its the way it was supposed to be. The reason things are the way they are now, is due to mans inability to recognize the difference between right and wrong.

Let me give you a better analogy.

Love is Right, and hate is wrong. Lesson one.
Lesson two..Love everyone.

This was the message of Christ if you were to somehow lose the entire Bible.

Christ is universal love. Universal love knows no gender. Christ loved all.
Whether you believe him to be the son of God, God, a prophet, or a messiah,

his message works...

Ponder this..a world starting with two people. Truly equal, loving, giving, and caring in every way. In your mind, although utopian by todays standards, what would that world be like. Think about it.

Peace

[edit on 31-10-2006 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
Its a damm sad day in the world when a baby is born unloved.

I've seen it happen a lot of times... one mother was so indifferent to the baby that Child Protective Services was called in to take the newborn. The mother was glad when the little boy left and she could get back to her own life.

Another time I was in a delivery room and heard the father march away from the wife yelling, "ANOTHER G-D GIRL!!! I TRIED 8 TIMES AND YOU CAN'T GIVE ME ONE SON, YOU B(ETC)."

The mother resented her little girl for not being a boy.

It's not me. It's others. I see the stories and they make me sad. Not every child comes into the world loved or wanted.

And retranslating the Bible (to return to the real topic) won't change that one bit.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   
For all Valhalls great work on this and other threads of similar subject -

You have voted Valhall for the Way Above Top Secret award.
You have one more vote left for this month.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
obviously we live in shallow times basing our realities on the exterior. our spirituality has to reflect that.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Christ loved all.

If when you speak of Christ you are refering to R. Jeshua your statement is not
completely true. If the NT references are to be belived he was not exactly fond
of certain Sadducees and Pharisees. Nor was he exactly on friendly terms with
the sellers and money changers in the Temple.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by greywolf1

Christ loved all.

If when you speak of Christ you are refering to R. Jeshua your statement is not
completely true. If the NT references are to be belived he was not exactly fond
of certain Sadducees and Pharisees. Nor was he exactly on friendly terms with
the sellers and money changers in the Temple.

Actually, I think his words and actions in this area are quite clear.

Christ by definition, is the manifest of Gods love. Christ is love.

Regarding the Sadducees and Pharisees....

"But I tell you who hear: love your enemies, do good to those who hate you"

"bless those who curse you, and pray for those who mistreat you"

"To him who strikes you on the cheek, offer also the other; and from him who takes away your cloak, don't withhold your coat also"

Regarding the money changers...

Everything on this Earth was given to us through gods Grace.
Was there a day, then Adam woke up in the Garden, and told Eve that he owned the whole place? That he required money and or services for what was freely given to him in the Garden in exchange for food? The Temple was a place of Worship. Not a place of Hope for Profit. Not a place where money overshadowed the Lord God.
You buy and Sell in the temple, that which the Lord God freedly provided.

Jesus had reason to be upset.

It would be like me Donating 100Tons of grain, and then those who I donated it to, sold it to buy a hummer. Our Society today has pinned down all that was supposed to be for all. From natural resources to the free will of animals and their habitats. Our current situation is a mess.

Loving all doesnt mean approving of all. Your supposed to love all people, but it doenst mean we approve of their actions. Examples in love, and overhwhelming them with actions that make light of ways that are less desired, I think was the reasoning of Christ.

If the base of love in the world increase and out paces the hate and anger, and people act upon their love in their families, their business, there community, and Government, the world will begin to change.

In the end..Love is the only way out for mankind. Hate will destroy us all and the planet. Love has to win. Christ was the Gaurantee.

With Love..we all win. Not just the few.

Peace..

[edit on 9-11-2006 by HIFIGUY]

[edit on 9-11-2006 by HIFIGUY]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join