It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The current social /political climate isn't good for me.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I live in an area with great diversity. We have our own bubble where a lot of the social issues presented in the media hardly effect us. If you take a 45 minute drive to the city of Philadelphia it's different. I feel as if the people there embellish in the drama perpetuated by the media and some in society.

I question a lot, how much of what's going on in the media is a reflection of the state of America. I am left with the impression that it's just bubbles of irrational and illogical people that are given the loudest voice. On occasion I have seen people living the division indoctrination they've been impressed with.

I thought the freedom of speech battle was over in the early 2000's. The internet was changing and booming again. We had the iraq war, where even if racist; disliking muslims was openly discussed. We also had artists like Eminem fighting for freedom of speech through music -Eminem - White America . This battle was over with. How did we get here!?!? I am not someone who will allow open censorship of myself. This is causing me great conflict. It's hard for me to participate with society when I have to worry about offending someone illogical and being reprimanded.

I am just feeling a little stressed by all the media and am looking to vent. I am slowing down a little on my intake of social drama. I know a few of you are feeling the same. Just take care of yourselves. Later

-Randy
edit on 2-3-2018 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Simple answer, leftist politically correct snowflakes!

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Here in NYC we all just hate each other, everyone’s equal. Lots of different people hating, it’s a divided leftist utopia, engineered by our communist mayor. His wife is a black radical lesbian, fun story with lots of laughs, google it!!

edit on 3 023202 1818 by WUNK22 because: More content

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

If you want to know how this society got where it is, I strongly recommend reading this:
nymag.com...

An excerpt:

When elite universities shift their entire worldview away from liberal education as we have long known it toward the imperatives of an identity-based “social justice” movement, the broader culture is in danger of drifting away from liberal democracy as well. If elites believe that the core truth of our society is a system of interlocking and oppressive power structures based around immutable characteristics like race or sex or sexual orientation, then sooner rather than later, this will be reflected in our culture at large. What matters most of all in these colleges — your membership in a group that is embedded in a hierarchy of oppression — will soon enough be what matters in the society as a whole.

An entirely intended byproduct of this kind of bullying — and Roiphe is just the latest victim — is silence. If voicing an “incorrect” opinion can end your career, or mark you for instant social ostracism, you tend to keep quiet. This silence on any controversial social issue is endemic on college campuses, but it’s now everywhere.

This is how "Liberal Democracy" in the classic sense of the word "Liberal" dies.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22

There are some pretty snowflakey folks on the right as well.

Just saying..

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Yeah example please? Cuz I dislike all PC snowflakes a reply to: Jefferton

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Are you sure it is not the illuminati leftist who have infiltrated every aspect of media universities, science , unions and Hollywood and turned it into a vast insanely convoluted conspiracy to make the gop look bad?!?!

Lol

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
Yeah example please? Cuz I dislike all PC snowflakes a reply to: Jefferton

Members on the right are always crying/mad about something.

Same thing, just different viewpoint.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

Lol.. I just wrote that as sarcasm.. I knew it was comming..

If y’all took even 3 seconds of logic into what logistically it would take to perpetrate such a convoluted conspiracy.. you would realize how silly that sounds..

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
It's both left and right. Both sides keep blowing things out of proportion. The discussion keeps revolving around those incidents.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17
It's both left and right. Both sides keep blowing things out of proportion. The discussion keeps revolving around those incidents.

I agree completely.

The back and forth from both sides is getting exhausting.

We all need to realize, we're all wrong about some things!

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

The problem i see is that there is just too many opinions being flung around. It’s exhausting if people try to keep up with it all. Now too many people are demanding that their opinion should be the end all be all and then they get angry when somebody disagrees with or mocks them.

The reality is, that if you put your opinion out their for the public to see, there will be someone to come along and present every possible opposing position. Which is a good thing. That is how consensus is found. People should be free to bring ideas to the table. They will be judged, and accepted or mocked.

We are able to pick our representatives. Those representatives decide which ideas get written into the code. The people have a social responsibility to not only discuss what positions are valid, but to keep discussing these issues even after they are accepted or rejected.

It’s exhausting, but it’s the best system we have ever come up with. When someone thinks this system is failing them, they have the right and the responsibility to speak up. Their claim will be judged on it’s merit. Not only by the system, but by public opinion as well.

The other option is that one group or one person gets to make the rules for everyone else. The second amendment is there to ensure this doesn’t happen.

Part of our social contract with eachother is to accept and live by the rules at the moment. However, it is understood that a percentage of the population will choose to ignore rules they don’t agree with, or rules all together. The severity of their infraction is judged and a fitting punishment is set.

It’s the individuals responsibility to judge whether they are getting too frustrated and illogical to be a useful part of the conversation.
edit on 2-3-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

Just venture into transsexual/gendar hyperbolic thread topics shared mainly by right leaning members. The last one couldn't stomach trying the counter the ignorance abound, props to those who tried.
edit on 2-3-2018 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

But one side is based on those incidents.....

When a democrat quotes some idiot spouting nonesense. It is almost always an elected official..

However, ho to ANY RIGHT WING site right now and you will see half adozen stories about how random individuals with zero authority or following said XY or Z..

There entire political ideology is based on propaganda and sheeple using broken logic..

Each side has a “Webster’s dictionary definition”..

Liberal : ignore the traditions of the past in favor of progress..

Conservative: uphold the traditions of the past as opposed to the change of progress.

Now that doesn’t mean the change the liberals are offering at any given time are the most effective or actual progress, but what ever face progress chooses to wear. Progress always wins and the conservative side tries to stop it.,

Plus society shifts constantly. What is rightwing now will die off in a generation or 2 and what is leftwing now, will be the right wing of the future..

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

edit on 2-3-2018 by Templeton because: dont feed the trolls

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I recommend this book:

Unstable Majorities

The conclusion is, the polarization is confined to what the author calls “the political class”. It is the pundits, journalists, politicos, and those overly concerned with politics, who are polarized, not the people at large.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I've made a thread about this topic before to learn. Are you trying to say, many are just looking for a fight?

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I think the left has a primary goal of conflating issues. I also think the right just uses those issues to it's own benefit even at the detriment to their viewers.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I'll have to get a copy from the library.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

It's not wrong....

If you're on this site, but don't realize that the media has been trying to brainwash us the whole time, there isn't much I can do for you. They don't even bother hiding it anymore.

I think for me, that was the most shocking thing this entire past election...that they simply didn't even CARE that they were all so blatantly trying to influence our votes.

That's what made it so much fun to watch all of their faces on election night, as they struggled to understand why the plan failed so miserably, when all of their tried and true previous tools told them they had succeeded.

What they DIDN'T count on, was that once there in the privacy of the voting booth, we were perfectly free to actually vote our conscience. And yes, the choices weren't great, but lesser of two evils and all that.

So, while the guy standing next to his wife would tell the pollster he voted for Hillary, he lied. While the guy with the job and the car who drove all his friends to the poll, so they could vote for Hillary or Sanders said (when with his friends) that he voted for Hillary, he actually voted for Trump. All of these folks, that couldn't even talk about it at work, for fear of being chastised, by those who didn't even bother going to the polls, because the media convinced them HRC had it in the bag....they all voted for Trump.

And that was just hysterical to see play out all over the country as the results came in.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join