It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart and two other companies raise age limit for buying Guns

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
This probably says more about people who shop at Wal-Mart (and what Wal-Mart thinks of them) than it does anything else.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
It's about damn time for this very common sense change to happen in our society. Too bad it took so many hundreds of lives lost for business people to give a damn. No, teenagers are not trustworthy with assault rifles, or any other weapons. Science has proven that young men are too emotional and impulsive well into their 20's to be responsible.

That's great. Now we can stop putting them into the military and stop giving them driver's licenses. Also, I would be all for not letting them play violent video games, not letting them listen to violent music and not letting them watch violent movies.

I personally blame the whole thing on video games. I'm sorry but if you've never seen a FPS game, it's basically a mass shooting in a video game. Gee. I wonder where these kids are getting these ideas?

edit on 4-3-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

. I wonder where these kids are getting these ideas?

The news. Memes. Other various thought worms.

I think call of duty ranks down the line as its military.

Fwiw, i play a ton of COD. Im 45.
edit on 3/4/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Nonsense on the video games (or movies).

It's not the fault of the games or movies, just like it's not the fault of the gun itself.

People are the problem. Specifically parents who can't be bothered to take the time for the children anymore.

I've got 6 kids and 4 grandchildren. My kids played plenty of video games, including FPS games. They've seen plenty of violent moves / TV shows.

The key was to know when they were old enough, for how long, and the magical key ingredient:

Making sure they all knew that it was not reality and to actually respect life.

Too many parents in today's world simply want to have kids, but not put the effort in on raising them themselves. Most modern day parents are too busy trying to find an App that will raise their kids for them. Think the schools should be who teaches them right and wrong, and what their morals should be.

It can be tough, especially since most parents both have to have a job to pay the bills and put food on the table. It demands even more sacrifice to make the time for your kids, and most importantly keep that communication with them going.

Too many think it will just work itself out, and that kids will figure out everything on their own.

The sad part? We're already seeing the results of this kind of parenting....as they themselves have become parents and are compounding the problem even more.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

. I wonder where these kids are getting these ideas?

The news. Memes. Other various thought worms.

I think call of duty ranks down the line as its military.

Fwiw, i play a ton of COD. Im 45.

Well, here's the thing. I have a five year old nephew who watches that superhero stuff where it's basically guys in costumes beating people up. After he watches that for a couple of hours, he will just walk up to people and start hitting them. I know he's only five years old and you might expect a 16 year old to be a little more mature but frankly, it can't be a good idea to have kids of any age playing games where the object of the game is to go around killing people.

I don't really think the games are the problem but I'd blame it on the morons who make those games before I'd blame it on the fact that people are allowed to have guns.

You know? Think about this. Someone sat there and honestly thought it was a great idea to make games like this for kids to play. Oh sure. Maybe they said they should have adult supervision. But you know it's going to happen. Kids are kids and they're sitting out there with their mouths open playing FPS games and then SURPRISE! They think they can do it at school. Who knew kids were that impressionable? Well, the people who make video games know exactly how impressionable they are because they know how to sell stuff.

And yes. I do agree that the media has been fanning the flames on purpose. Because that's what they do. It's easy to see the role they have played in making riots and all kinds of other things over the years.

<< 6  7  8   >>

join