It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart and two other companies raise age limit for buying Guns

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Lots of stuff has changed. It isn't any one thing. Violent video games, increasingly more violent movies, 24/7 cable/internet news glorifying all the violent acts because it raises ratings, the popularity of stupid stuff (like eating Tide pods) going viral on facebook and you tube, etc. Good luck stopping all that. That cat's out of the bag. We keep giving stupid teens more and more opportunities to do more and more stupid things.

Has violence increased among the same demographic in Europe and Australia? We pretty much share a culture among the youth of those regions (online culture), and they are doing much of the same things that our kids are. I play Call of Duty with folks our of Europe. In fact, the swastikas were all made iron crosses because of sales in Germany.

So if its affecting our kids and not theres...again...why?

FWIW, i think those are knee jerk responses that represent cop outs trotted out by people in our generation. Despite feeling truthy, the evidence isn't really supporting them.

Used to be you give a kid a rifle and he only thinks about shooting squirrels-- now you give a kid a rifle and he thinks about shooting people. The ante has been raised.

We just don't live in the 1950's anymore - and we never will again.

Used to be kids didn't watch the news going on for weeks on end about killers. We used to rob killers of their fame and spotlight. Legally we still do (they cannot profit from books, etc). But our media...they have decided to double down on it.

FWIW, i've not met a kid that thinks about shooting people. Your point is taken, but it is also a bit of hyperbole.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Other countries don't have the gun worshipping culture that we have. Combine all those factors I listed with the gun culture we have, and it's a recipe for disaster.

A lot more kids think about shooting people now than in the past. Hence, our problem.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

That's the problem, or at least the majority of it, in my humble opinion.

I think there has been a regression in how kids are raised these days, or the past decades. All too many are what was called latch key kids, left to their own devices with parent or parents both working--they're, for all intents and purposes, raised by the TV and video games.

That's not the entirety of the problem, and I'm not blaming the video games or movies...I'm commenting on the lack of parents--for whatever reason. If they have to work, obviously they have to. That's when the lack of community centers, and other places for kids to go and be with other kids, and be around adults at the same time becomes telling.

Organizations like Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts, etc... are another thing that should be supported heavily.

A kid left to his/her own devices will eventually find trouble. Often nothing of import, kids will be kids. But, they can also find trouble too big for them, as well, and that happens, as often as not, when parents, or an adult figure of some sort, aren't available to them.

As I said, this isn't the only problem, but it is a part of it. IMHO.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

A lot more kids think about shooting people now than in the past. Hence, our problem.

No. You are wanting to put a band aid on the problem.

The problem isn't henceforth from kids seeming to want to shoot more people. That IS the problem.

What changed?

Without answers to that, we are putting band aids on the problem, and imposing tyranny on law abiding citizens. Its short changing ourselves completely, and wholly unacceptable.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Edumacated made a very provocative post in another thread that has some truth to it: feminism. Feminism created a labor pool that was double in size. WHich watered down wages, meaning that both parents had to work to support a family. No more could one bread winner win the bread while the other made sure the stuff at home was in proper order. So latchkey kids were born.

Its provocative, but it has some merit. Not that feminism was a bad thing...but the solutions weren't well thought out. Doubling our workforce seems to have had a negative effect on our culture overall, despite improving the rights of individuals (in short, its the right call to have made because of individual rights)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Ya, how can you ignore it? some just don't want to see it. Most modern countries have all the same exact issues, only difference is the gun culture..right, wrong or indifferent..I'm not making a judgement on it.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Crazy people were in the US in the 50's. During all periods. Violent video games? This does not make kids want to kill and to be honest, it probably saves pets and animals because now, instead of the step of killing animals they can fantasize in a video game. In fact, it probably stops more than you know. It is an outlet. However, it is not driving kids to kill others.

If you give a kids a rifle and he thinks about shooting other people...that is a problem but saying all kids are like this is a pretty harsh and blanket statement.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

You just don't want to admit that we have a weird love affair with guns in this country that leads to bad results when paired with the overall grittier world of today. I get that, but I still stand by my argument.

Guess we aren't going to change each other's mind today.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Ya, how can you ignore it? some just don't want to see it. Most modern countries have all the same exact issues, only difference is the gun culture..right, wrong or indifferent..I'm not making a judgement on it.

Citation needed that this is the only difference.

Because one major difference I can point to: our FDA has completely different standards for what is and is not legal to prescribe, and what age ranges are applicable. Another: our CIA has been granted the authority to run psyops on the public.

Again, ill state: decades of evidence proves your "gun culture" statement false.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Feminism hasn't happened in other countries? There aren't latchkey kids in Europe?

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

You just don't want to admit that we have a weird love affair with guns in this country that leads to bad results when paired with the overall grittier world of today. I get that, but I still stand by my argument.

Guess we aren't going to change each other's mind today.

I don't want to admit things I don't think are true. That is all.

And at the end of the day, whether you and I agree on stuff or not, I still have a sky high opinion of you.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Feminism hasn't happened in other countries? There aren't latchkey kids in Europe?

Use that same logic processing grid on your gun question now.

Violent video games haven't happened in other countries? Kids don't play them in Europe?

Its not gun crime that we are talking about...we are talking about increased tendency towards violence. So...is there more violence in todays European youth than a generation ago?

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Thanks Texan. The feeling's mutual.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Well, I have looked into the mental health aspect, particularly Canada compared to the U.S..
The #s are so close on people on anti depressants and in general having mental health issues they are pretty much interchangable. The only difference noted was access to care, I can add the care in Canada is about the same..here's a bottle of pills.
Now the C.I.A. is an angle I have not explored.
I would love to stay and discuss but work calls.
Cheers

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

When you get a chance, look up Smith Mundt. I think understanding what happened when that was repealed (and combining it with what we got out of the Patriot Act) is enough to send a chill up anyones spine. Especially if you understand it through the lens of todays headlines.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

It may or may not surprise you that I never purchased a gun until 30. And the one handgun that I wanted to buy that I had borrowed target shooting, I didn’t purchase until last year. Two models newer and quite a bit different than the one I wanted for 16 years or so. It has still never been fired.

When I was younger, shooting guns weren’t really my thing. Thus I felt no need to own one. I did have a pellet gun and a BB gun that I did do target shooting and was pretty good. So what changed? Came home to a coyote on my back porch that had zero fear of me yelling to shoo it off. Bought a 22 Henry lever action that weekend at Bass Pro to scare future coyote encounters. It has never been used for that purpose or hunting, just target shooting. As has any gun I have ever owned if it has even been fired at all.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: CB328

Deny rights and mob mentality?

Sounds legit.

Well all this will do is get people to buy a gun and give it as a gift to someone. but this kind of non legislated stuff is pefectly Legal to do and within constitutional law. Is it kinda backwards? yeah but its their store.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

But it is their store. Yep. By the same token, it's my money.

I don't buy firearms at Wal-mart, or any box store, I'll go to a shop that has a gunsmith who knows his, or her, stuff. Get better results for only a bit more money.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
We also need to peg this age standard to driving a vehicle. After all, more cars killing people then guns.

Car accidents are exactly that: accidents. There's a big difference between an accident and walking into a school with the intention of turning the students into Swiss cheese. You should go learn what a false equivalence fallacy is and report back a little later.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Walmart hasn’t sold guns in California in ages.I don’t know the status of the background check for ammo,but working for Walmart and living in Cali I can see them not selling ammo in the very near future.Too much of a pain in the a$$.I fully expect more liberal states to follow suit.Sorry if this is too off topic.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join