It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart and two other companies raise age limit for buying Guns

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: Edumakated

You know what would save more lives? Raising driving age from 16 to 18...

I'm all for that too! My daughter is 16 and I'm not letting her drive on her own until she's 18.

Personally I do not think it is about age but personal responsability if you see what I mean...

Each and every person may differ from the age of 16 to 18... It's just a legal thingummyjig if you see what I mean again!?

I do agree on a personal level that in legal forms, driving licenses, gun licenses etc... should be done as from the age of 18 to 20 but more should be done or tried to assess how each person is capable of just being down right logical and reasonable in stressful situations concerning a product that may in some way harm or kill someone.

We (the oldies (I am 52)) were taught different values compared to what the new Internet generation think is better education for them as it is quick and easy...

Most of the late 90s to 2000 generations don't give a poo about family values and family "hand me down" educational values anymore...

In this new day and age of ongoing online technology things are only going to get worse when it comes to close family education...

The younger generation (Milléniums) have been brainwashed to believe that whatever they say is right...

I deeply pity the next couple of generations.

Saddest respects

Lags
edit on 2-3-2018 by Lagomorphe because: I am crap

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

originally posted by: HiMyNameIsCal
You know, as a gun toting Canadian I find it sad that guns are at the center if this issue. I also find it ridiculous that people think buying an AR-15ish at walmart is ok. Don't people just have gunfights in the parking lot? In Vancouver they would, and in London. But they don't, at least not outside of the the US. Believe me! I am perfectly capable of defending my property without the need of a shiny glock or dusty AK. But if I wanted to have one, I could! I would just have to prove to my peers that I was a responsible adult first. The fact that some of my fellow gun owners feel that there special cousin Festus who can't see straight should have a freekin assault rifle makes me.. almost laugh.

I loved this post!
Just saying.

Me too, in a world full of guns, no one knows how to use a fist.

And even that should be a last resort...

"I pretecting my propertahhhh!"

"good one ya champ, kill any people playing trick or treat recently?? "

"Hyperbolay is a fools argument."

"tell that to the dead kids family."

yet here we are, in a world where the worst gun massacres are an option to solving your grievances... being told we're wrong. *sigh*..

Sad thing is, if I had lived there, which I was going to do, I'd have been constantly attacked by my ex's husband who threatened me on numerous occasions with being shot for being with his wife... good ol' boys.. hyuk hyuk.

Weak men, that's all they are..

edit on 2-3-2018 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

You were adamant that youtube has every right to deny free speech. Why does walmart not have the right to deny someone under a certain age the ability to buy weapons?

You're going to have to quote me on saying that Walmart doesn't have that right. I've not said that anywhere.

I don't shop there and don't care what they do. To see people applaud them for doing this is silly to me, that's what I commented on.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: JinMI

The difference is the support of it.

No one here is claiming that they need to do anything.

Wait what ,are you implying the people should be dictating to private business how it should operate?

No.
edit on 2-3-2018 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:58 AM
link   
This feels like a civil rights violation to me. Discriminating and refusing service based on a protected class is illegal.

Incidentally....the gay cake story is in the news again. That civil rights violation just had financial penalty handed out.

Ageism is wrong.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   
What I find truly mind boggling about this, is the inconsistency of the government and people when it comes to issues about this.

At 16 you're old enough to have a drivers license and operate a motor vehicle (which can kill a LOT of people when plowed through a group) with no adult supervision.

At age 18, you're required to be on Selective Service, can be taxed, can enter into legally binding contracts (means you can get loans to go to college, buy a house, buy a car, get credit cards, etc). You're old enough to vote, old enough to join the military (where after a few months of training, you could find yourself in a combat zone being shot at and killing people).

But you're not old enough to have a drink. And now people say you're not old enough to buy a gun.

It really does boggle the mind. An 18 year old joins the military, and after a few months of training can be tasked with guarding nuclear weapons. They're given a gun and a sign that says: "Exclusion Zone - Deadly Force Is Authorized", told if ANYONE, no mater who they are, crosses that line with out authorization, that they are to blow that person away. That's a HUGE responsibility.

And yet people are here saying they are not responsible enough to own a firearm.

Some of you jump up and go "Ah! But see they've received training!"....okay, yes, but then you're still all for denying them their constitutional right?

Let's go back to that drinking age. In all 50 states as of now, you have to be 21 to buy alcohol. The exceptions are the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico where it is still 18.

This was done though the National Minimum Drinking Age Act back in 1986, when the government decided it wanted to "save lives", specifically get the numbers of death lowered from teenage drinking and driving accidents. Each state either complied or would loose up to 10% of it's federal funding for roads.

Right now it's estimated that this saves up to 1,000 lives per year here in the US.

Sounds great doesn't it?

Yah, until you realize that 11 teens PER DAY die as a result of texting and driving accidents.....that's over 4,000 lives per year lost.

I'm thinking we need to raise the age of owning a smart phone, or any internet connectivity device to 21. Think about it: more people die each day from texting while driving accidents than they do from being shot by a gun.

Think about it. More teens die every single day because they're too busy messing with that smart phone than paying attention to the road while driving.

We need to make more laws! No drivers license until your 21! Can't own a cell phone until you're 21! Come on businesses! Get with the program! Refuse to sell those phones! We need a National Minimum Driving Age Act and a National Minimum Texting Age Act! Come on people!

(if you can't tell, that last paragraph was sarcasm).

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: JinMI

The difference is the support of it.

No one here is claiming that they need to do anything.

Wait what ,are you implying the people should be dictating to private business how it should operate?

No, I'm advocating that private business SHOULD dictate how they operate.

But the irony from people is strong.

Free speech however, should be a freedom that everyone enjoys.

Not freedom of action, where I hope, we can agree.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Agreed.

those that advocate for the censoring of free speech, yet claim this is a removal of rights, need to think about things.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

IMO, if they can't legally be trusted to buy & drink a beer, they can't buy guns or join the military, either. So which is it? They can do all of the above at 18, or 21?

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

So you want the military age raised to 21?

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Its not a removal of the 2nd amendment. Its a violation of civil rights. These are rights that are not inalienable (like the 1st amendment you mention), but are rather granted by our government.

Nonetheless, ageism is a civil rights violation and this whole thing could end up in court once someone ties a case together.

Businesses do have the right to operate freely, so long as they dont violate the law

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
a reply to: Nyiah

So you want the military age raised to 21?

It might do us some serious good to let the brains of the prospective soldiers continue to mature & develop a bit further than just 18. It's not technically done growing from adolescence stage to adult stage until the mid-20's as it is.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

So how often do you actually shop at the sporting goods store? We have a Bass Pro about three miles away. I personally have never been there but my son's and husband have a time of two. It's not on our regular rotation of businesses we frequent. Farm Fresh would miss my business but the sporting goods store wouldn't.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

When the rare ocassion puts me in cabelas im spending lots of cash.

Wal mart rifles are crap. For the same reason all their stuff is crap....they want the lowest price so special runs of the same products are made cheaply for wal mart

I bought a remington 700 30.06 from them and had to have the bolt carriage machined out so it would actually slide. It still sucks. Crappy trigger, cheap stock material. I never use it. Bought a savage arms 30.06 to replace it.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

Democrats love their children and don't want to bury them. That's the truth.
My boys never even had a toy gun. The closest they got was laser tag when they were tweens and when they were older teens a sooper soaker water gun craze hit one summer and they shot at each other when they were in the pool. They don't hunt (shudders) they have no interest in weapons of any kind.
My youngest has just announced he is enlisting in the navy. He will be the first to handle any weapon. I'm not happy.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
Democrats love dem somes gun controls. I personally worship God and guns, the kind of good Americans Obummer singled out. I must be doing something right, wonder how this will play out in Chicago or any other democrat led sh@thole??

It'll bite them on the ass as usual.

And then they can blame gun control again!!

Funny how they make that work like that.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet
Anyways, I think it’s a move it the right direction. it’s a start.

If it stops one idiot from being the next shooter, it’s saved how many lives?

That's my immediate thought as well. It's a start and a step in the right direction. If it only save one life, it's worth doing. I have no idea what the answer to is when it comes to gun control. But hopefully a step in the right direction.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

This is true. Walmart isn't really known for having the best guns. Most people go there to get the ammo when it's available.

We bought my son his Marlin 360 lever action .30-30 there because my wife can use her employee discount (10% on all general goods).

Have to say that the rifle has performed flawlessly.

I tend to go over to Sports Academy for the ammo though. More variety.

Of course back a few months ago, while deer hunting, our son got to fire a .45-70....and now he wants one. Considering the cheapest I've found is around 700 to 800, I just give him that baleful eye and ask if he's gotten a job yet, heh.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: WUNK22

Democrats love their children and don't want to bury them. That's the truth.
My boys never even had a toy gun. The closest they got was laser tag when they were tweens and when they were older teens a sooper soaker water gun craze hit one summer and they shot at each other when they were in the pool. They don't hunt (shudders) they have no interest in weapons of any kind.
My youngest has just announced he is enlisting in the navy. He will be the first to handle any weapon. I'm not happy.

Tell Him!!

Tell him he should just shoot you in the heart.

Be upfront.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

My oldest has handled guns but isnt fond of them. My youngest inherited the aforementiined savage arms 30.06 this past year. And will inherit his glock 19 that i bought when he was 16 next year on his 21st. We are currently building 2 ARs together.

The best thing about America is our freedom to do these things....or choose not to

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join