It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Says Trump Will Meet With 'Members Of The Video Game Industry' Next Week

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

And yet if he wants to buy a gun he would be able to pass his background check.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

And yet if he wants to buy a gun he would be able to pass his background check.

Age limit of purchasing rifles is 16 in some states.

M-rated video games are 17.

We're back to living in Wonderland where logic is for pussies.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Also, how does this judge define "violent video games." A puzzle game like the recently released Bridge Constructor Portal is rated E for Mild Fantasy Violence. Should that be considered a violent video game?

What about a more violent game like Steamworld Dig 2? That's rated E for Fantasy Violence.

What about Hunting Simulator (rated T for Violence)? Surely if that were considered a violent video game the judge would have also banned him from hunting.

And if it's only violent games this judge has an issue with then it's fine if he plays a game like Little Red Lie. I mean it's rated M but only for Sexual Themes, Strong Language, and Use of Drugs. A game like Kirby is much worse.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Also, how does this judge define "violent video games." A puzzle game like the recently released Bridge Constructor Portal is rated E for Mild Fantasy Violence. Should that be considered a violent video game?

What about a more violent game like Steamworld Dig 2? That's rated E for Fantasy Violence.

What about Hunting Simulator (rated T for Violence)? Surely if that were considered a violent video game the judge would have also banned him from hunting.

And if it's only violent games this judge has an issue with then it's fine if he plays a game like Little Red Lie. I mean it's rated M but only for Sexual Themes, Strong Language, and Use of Drugs. A game like Kirby is much worse.

What happens the guy is of legal age to purchase M-rated games?

Will he not be allowed to due to government pre-crime thought police?

How is it enforceable?

The judge did say the kid could play Mario Kart all he wants....

These people are barking up the wrong tree. Gamers are intelligent, gamers shut down GamerGate as quick as it blew up.

It's amazing that our government is placing the dangers of mass shootings in the same camp as violent video games.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Another mass shooter thwarted.

teenager is behind bars on $1,000,000 bond after being found parked near a Texas high school with a loaded rifle and more than 100 rounds of ammunition.

It's a good thing we're going after these video games! These people can't keep getting away with committing mass shootings with virtual guns!

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Just look at all the video game fetishists!

I own some video games, but I'm not against some common sense video game regulation like a national video game registry, mandatory psych evaluations, longer waiting periods, closing the used video game and bit torrent loopholes, and stuff.

edit on 2-3-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Your comparison would make more sense if it weren't for the fact that guns are directly tied to 100% of school shootings while violent video games were only indirectly tied to 20%.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

What if I told you I am Putin?

Just don’t tell anyone. Our lil secret.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: XAnarchistX

The only PC culture I’m proudly apart of is the PCMASTERRACE!

Goodbye consoles. Well, except my NES mini.
edit on 2-3-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

Your comparison would make more sense if it weren't for the fact that guns are directly tied to 100% of school shootings while violent video games were only indirectly tied to 20%.

They're only directly tied in the same sense that vehicles have been tied to terrorist attacks, and yet, I don't see anyone implying that owning a vehicle makes you directly more likely to want to run a bunch of people over.

So let's try this again.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: XAnarchistX

The only PC culture I’m proudly apart of is the PCMASTERRACE!

Goodbye consoles. Well, except my NES mini.

With all due respect, that is a massive contradiction, Mr. Putin...

😂

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I like combat action games as do many others. But we have to agree, not to be hippocrates, that while we enjoy immersive war games, we are showing our children that we condone killing others, and we have fun doing it.

It is a conundrum of the first order. It IS one of the enablers for the gun culture, a self-fulfilling one.

We have to face the fact that if there is going to be any change in how we condone and promote guns, this violent gaming trend has to take a big hit as well. Will it happen? Probably not.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Does Trump really want to go down this rabbit hole?? Ok, let's go down this rabbit hole.... I wonder if our Commander and Chief knows that Army recruiters are showing up at schools trying to recruit young kids into the military and passing out and promotes :::drum roll:::: shoot em up violent video games on CD for free.

www.americasarmy.com...

If this is truly a problem you might want to stop the internal bleeding first.

edit on 3-3-2018 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I've been using video games in some form since the early 80's. I know the difference between real life and the virtual world. I'm sure most us do. It's entertainment and a bit of fun to relax yourself or with friends.
Video games in my day didn't really have the graphics they have now. Everything was blocky, and the voices were a mish mash of crocking sounds. Everything looks so real now though. Almost creepy how lifelike faces and characters look.

Unfortunately, there are some people who take everything too seriously when it comes to video games. I think parents and schools should do their part and explain the difference between video games and real life.

I love putting my Playstation or X-Box on and having fun. I don't want that fun censored in any way at all.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

Also, anyone 12 or under that uses the words c***, f***, or wh*** over voice chat is automatically entered in to a government registry for life.

My favorite dressing down I got from a kid was after work I swung by Gamestop to pick up my copy of one of the shooters, I forget which one this was back in like 2010. Went home, popped it in and went online to play with some of my co-workers. I got whacked from behind by somebody and as I'm waiting to respawn some kid that sounded about 10 comes over the mic calling me a noob. This was ON RELEASE DAY. That should get you at least 5-10 years and a $5000 fine.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: rhynouk

There are some people who take everything too seriously when it comes to radio, TV and movies.

Now that video games are a bigger business worldwide than all three of those put together, some are taking them seriously too.

Like everything else, this is a "some people" problem. I suspect none of us would like the answers if they were easy to pin down in a definitive way.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
Here we go.

I cannot wait to see the excuses Trump supporters come up with on this one.

I, for one, am very grateful my virtuous and benevolent government has taken it upon themselves to make sure I'm safe from myself when it comes to a free market on entertainment. Who else is going to protect me from the liberal brainwashing machine that is Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto?

I'm thinking there is a lot of nudging going on from the Hollywood lobby - the biggest threats to their bottom line are video games and streaming. They probably wouldn't weep if Netflix somehow went complete belly up from mee-tooing.

They most definitely wouldn't cry if there was no "interactive fiction" to compete with their sequel machine, so I'm guessing people talk together in corridors, over lunch, the usual - and try their hardest to turn videogames into the big bad wolf.

Videogames may provide the skillset to handle airplanes, guns or other real life counterparts - but it's not what makes people go on a shooting rampage.

I'm thinking it's all these drugs that are shoved down everybody's throat that sets this off. With Big Pharma's PR machine bigger than ever, they try their hardest to convince everyone that even the slightes hint of "bad mood" is a condition that needs to be dealt with in the form of psychotropic drugs.

Games are no more to blame for this than Western movies.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

So you are triggered violent video games are being looked at? What if they do effect the minds of some children, (adults) should it not be looked into to "Save the children." or is it your agenda isn't to save the children at all but to ban the guns?

Either way, I am laughing my ass off at your post modernist, religious doctrine. Keep it up!
Whoa hold on there bud. Don't go attacking my video games! They didn't do crap to you or your guns. They were just walking by, all peaceful like, and some idiot pointed the blame their way. Totally not fair. Besides you, yourself, are just as guilty as the libs if you want to be honest. You are applying the same failed logic to video games as they attempt to do to guns, so are you enjoying being a hypocrite?

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Ok so we've got calls to ban guns because they kill people, and now video games because they cause people to go nuts and kill people.... wait a second, if guns kill people how is it that video games are causing people to kill other people? I thought guns did the killing... so wouldn't it be more accurate to say that it was video games causing guns to kill people??

See that sounds just as stupid as the idea that either video games or guns have any effect on nut jobs killing anyone. But hey if we are going to for stupid bans when can I expect forks to be banned for making people fat? or pencils for making mistakes? or cars for causing accidents? Because why not, if we are going to be this stupid, we might as well pull out all the stops and just go full moron then.

Basically the point I am trying to make is that there are times when violent people perform violent acts, they don't require an outside influence to perform said act, they only need opportunity.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
Illinois teenager banned from playing violent video games after making me a comment about mass shootings.

Linky link

Well, that was much quicker than expected.

Read it and weep.
To be fair his "comment"was that he was going to perform a mass shooting if people didn't stop talking about mass shootings... this jack ass got exactly what he deserved. However I wonder if there is going to be some sort of registry for this. Otherwise how does the judge think it will be enforced once the kid and his parents leave the court room?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join