It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Says Trump Will Meet With 'Members Of The Video Game Industry' Next Week

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Yeah, Bunny Hop is particularly annoying.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Violent anything could be a factor to someone who is unstable. If the violence affected everyone as we assume it may with those who are unstable then the majority of the world would be in a state of constant chaotic violence.

The closet any form of media violence ever influenced me to commit an act of violence was back in 1990 after I watched the original TMNT movie. A whole gang of us were karate chopping and round housing each in front of the movie theater. I broke some kids necklace that was hanging outside of his shirt.

I hope the police don't trace this post now that I've finally spoken of that terrible day!
edit on 1-3-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
This is one of the stupidest causes ever adopted by a politician. It's wrong, regardless as if it was President Trump or President Hillary.

I can guarantee not one person who has murdered anyone has ever done it because they played a violent video game. Same thing with violent movies or any violent fiction. I've read some books with some pretty graphic scenes of violence in them after all. Not one person. Anyone who says they did presumably had severe mental issues that crippled their perception of reality.

This argument is almost as old as video games themselves. Missile Command never started a nuclear war. Nobody became a mass murderer because of Doom, and not a single person ever went on a hit and run spree with a stolen car thanks to Grand Theft Auto.

A few years back a new one popped up, some people claimed the depiction of women in video games was a cause of rape. That wasn't true either.

Video games at worst can be very addictive for some people. Which is a separate issue that doesn't require legislation.

The most insidious thing in video games at the moment is the gambling lootboxes that are all the rage thanks to the greed of the big publishers. I'm sure anyone who plays video games is familiar with the Battlefront 2 outrage a few months back. Trump should address that. It'd certainly be a more popular move than adopting this nonsensical age old PC position.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

Same for pot. Your point?

Seriously, what is your point?

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Yep the elephant just crushed the room.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

What if violent video games are a factor in our youth acting out in violent manners? Is it not worth a look see? I mean violence is not ingrained in the consciousness of a weapon, but in the thought process of the human being who decides to use that weapon in their act of violence in their desperation of acting out?

So if we as a society are at a point in our so called "evolution" to seek out the answers as to our so called youth and their acting out in a form of violence that results in death, should we not look into it? Or should we just BLAME GUNS>?

Stephen Paddock wasn't "the youth," and look at what he accomplished?

Can't blame vidya games there.

But I digress, I've had this conversation far too many times.

If Call of Duty hadn't existed, the Nazi's wouldn't have existed.

If Grand Theft Auto was never created from a bug out of a racing game, the Roman Empire would have been peaceful.

If John Wick wasn't around, the Crusades wouldn't have happened.

And - of course - if Black Panther didn't exist, Pol Pot would have been peaceful.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Same for pot. Your point?

Seriously, what is your point?

You have to be twenty-one in every single recreationally legal state.

My thread isn't about cannabis laws, though. But hey, still have to be older to get some non-psychoactive CBD's to help with PCOS as opposed to guns!

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Maybe they should ban books. They have a lot of dangerous content you know.

The Bible has it's fair share of bloodshed. As does the Quran. Can't have people getting ideas from those.

Who knows, someone might read 1984 and be inspired to create a Totalitarian Police State.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

I heard China is going to ban George Orwell's Animal Farm.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   

So you are triggered violent video games are being looked at? What if they do effect the minds of some children, (adults) should it not be looked into to "Save the children." or is it your agenda isn't to save the children at all but to ban the guns?

Either way, I am laughing my ass off at your post modernist, religious doctrine. Keep it up!

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I cannot wait to see the excuses Trump supporters come up with on this one. 

Excuse what? There's nothing to excuse. The meeting didn't happen yet. You're crying to soon.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: Swills

Trump was right, video games and movies should have some sort of rating system at the least!

I mean, if we have to register our virtual arms, I get it. We need to keep track of them, and I don't know if just anyone should be able to get a fully automatic virtual gun.

I'm totally OKAY with the gubberment doing a complete background investigation on me to ensure I'll be safe with videos games AND firearms.

I just hope they never catch me playing Grand Theft Auto, any one of them.
In real life I rarely even consider plowing my car into a hooker to get my money back.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   

The admin can try all it wants but this isn't going to go well. I know my community. Too many people will start burning down sections of the internet if gaming gets blanket censorship. The sane part of the gaming community would boycott and kill a lot of companies.

I am not worried.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Clearly this is just going to set up a Presidential run from Gaben. A run that he will win in a landslide when he promises HL3.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

The walking dead video strawman, and they never let a good bad episode go to waste.

#MakeAmeriKKKaGamingAgain!

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
[

In true Donald Trump fashion:

So it's on the video game industry to see what they can do "on that front," when it comes to gun violence?

The solution there is simple.

Just tax the video games that promote violence, on the grounds that it eventually leads to the requirement of more police work.

And the taxes can be justified as an attempt to recover the cost of that policing that follows the video games incitement of public violence.

Then, give a tax credit to those other video games that promote education instead.

This will steer the video game industry towards "edutainment", where the video games educate kids, on things they'd study in school or college, like physics, chemistry, geography, history, etc..all under the guise of entertainment.

That's a socially responsible government action, that would benefit everybody.

You guys that have Trump's ear, pass the word on.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

So you are triggered violent video games are being looked at? What if they do effect the minds of some children, (adults) should it not be looked into to "Save the children." or is it your agenda isn't to save the children at all but to ban the guns?

Either way, I am laughing my ass off at your post modernist, religious doctrine. Keep it up!

Violent video games should be "looked into," by the government to save the children?

I'd rather be a post modernist than someone who thinks it's 1993.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Digital guns don't kill people, digital people kill people. Wait... that's not right. Guns kill digital people! Nope, not that either.

I'm sure there's some combination of real guns, digital people, digital guns, and real people that result in real people being shot by real guns but I just can't figure it out. Video games and the rock and roll must be the cause somehow.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

originally posted by: RomeByFire
[

In true Donald Trump fashion:

So it's on the video game industry to see what they can do "on that front," when it comes to gun violence?

The solution there is simple.

Just tax the video games that promote violence, on the grounds that it eventually leads to the requirement of more police work.

And the taxes can be justified as an attempt to recover the cost of that policing that follows the video games incitement of public violence.

Then, give a tax credit to those other video games that promote education instead.

This will steer the video game industry towards "edutainment", where the video games educate kids, on things they'd study in school or college, like physics, chemistry, geography, history, etc..all under the guise of entertainment.

That's a socially responsible government action, that would benefit everybody.

You guys that have Trump's ear, pass the word on.

What about developers that aren't based in America, though?

Should a Swedish company, DICE, by held to a certain standard because the develop the Battlefield series? Mass shootings don't happen in Sweden... why is it on them to censor their products to appease an American audience?

Educational games don't sell... I honestly can't remember the last time I've ever came across or read about one.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I'd rather be a post modernist than someone who thinks it's 1993

You've missed the bullseye by at least one century.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join