It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Says Trump Will Meet With 'Members Of The Video Game Industry' Next Week

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Here we go.

I cannot wait to see the excuses Trump supporters come up with on this one.

I, for one, am very grateful my virtuous and benevolent government has taken it upon themselves to make sure I'm safe from myself when it comes to a free market on entertainment. Who else is going to protect me from the liberal brainwashing machine that is Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto?

The White House today said that President Donald Trump will meet with executives from the video game industry to talk about violent games, a reaction to last month’s shooting in Parkland, Florida that left 17 dead.

In true Donald Trump fashion:

“He’ll also be meeting with members of the video game industry to see what they can do on that front as well,” said White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders during a press briefing this afternoon, when asked about the president’s policy on guns.

So it's on the video game industry to see what they can do "on that front," when it comes to gun violence?

Even better:

ESA and our member companies have not received an invitation to meet with President Trump.

Of course not, it's an absolutely ludicrous notion in the first place that the video game industry should be meeting with a POTUS over mass shootings... we truly live in wonderland.

The same video games played in the US are played worldwide; however, the level of gun violence is exponentially higher in the US than in other countries. Numerous authorities have examined the scientific record and found there is no link between media content and real-life violence.

The US video game industry has a long history of partnering with parents and more than 20 years of rating video games through the Entertainment Software Rating Board. We take great steps to provide tools to help players and parents make informed entertainment decisions.

That's right. There are already laws in place that prevent children from purchasing M-rated video games.

Just food for thought - in some states, you can buy carbines and other guns before buying M-rated games.

The blowback on this will be spicy - it's been a rough week for the Trump camp.

Honestly, at this point, what's next? Movies? Books? It's mind-boggling how this has come to be.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

I swear to God if they mess with my right to bare virtual arms....

To far! The Federal government is out of control!

Slight,and I mean slight satire aside... They better not do anything stupid.
edit on 1-3-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I don't think you really have anything to worry about.
After all, nothing was done about bowling.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   
This is getting dumber than the time Liberals wanted to remove all confederate status because of racism.

Everyone is trying to ban or limit everything in existence because its offensive or trying to stop something from happening in society.

People need to stop acting like two year olds and grow the F***k up!!!

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I've been playing video games since, like 86, so I'm expecting any day now I'm just gonna lose it and commit acts of violence because of reasons.

Trump was right, video games and movies should have some sort of rating system at the least!

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Trump was right, video games and movies should have some sort of rating system at the least!

I mean, if we have to register our virtual arms, I get it. We need to keep track of them, and I don't know if just anyone should be able to get a fully automatic virtual gun.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I swear to God if they mess with my right to bare video games I'm going to lose it....

To far! The Federal government is out of control!

Slight,and I mean slight satire aside... They better not do anything stupid.

I don't think that's even a rational thought, how would violent video games be restricted and how is that fair to game developers that create Grand Theft Auto and/or Battlefield who don't even develop their video games in America?

The fact that it's even being considered, well, it's something I'm not surprised by when it comes to Donald Trump.

I don't know. Maybe he bought The Legend of Zelda and got mad after learning the characters name isn't Zelda...?

This is good ol' Republican small government at its finest.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I'm not saying minds don't change over time, but according to this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

it should align with your views.

This has been an ongoing saga. Those that used to support something can seem to muster the same support because...Trump.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I don't think that's even a rational thought, how would violent video games be restricted

Get rid of virtual automatic weapons and bump stocks.

I'm tired of these noobs praying and spraying.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: WarPig1939

Tbh, a good many of them statues were erected directly because of racism to intimidate and suppress the black community. Even the Confederates most admired general, Robert E. Lee, was against statues of himself and others being erected.

“I think it wiser,” the retired military leader wrote about a proposed Gettysburg memorial in 1869, “…not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered.”

How The U.S. Got So Many Confederate Monuments

While every statue in every town has a different origin, taken together, the roughly 700 Confederate monuments in the United States tell a national story. Many of these commemorations of those on the losing side of the Civil War are a lot newer than one might think.

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, which compiled a list of these monuments last year, these monuments are spread over 31 states plus the District of Columbia—far exceeding the 11 Confederate states that seceded at the outset of the Civil War.

Most of these monuments did not go up immediately after the war’s end in 1865. During that time, commemorative markers of the Civil War tended to be memorials that mourned soldiers who had died, says Mark Elliott, a history professor at University of North Carolina, Greensboro.

“Eventually they started to build [Confederate] monuments,” he says. “The vast majority of them were built between the 1890s and 1950s, which matches up exactly with the era of Jim Crow segregation.” According to the Southern Poverty Law Center’s research, the biggest spike was between 1900 and the 1920s.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   
It will be OK. Everyone will love the new games such as Bunny Hop, Candy Cane Swords and Politically Correct Password.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   

What if violent video games are a factor in our youth acting out in violent manners? Is it not worth a look see? I mean violence is not ingrained in the consciousness of a weapon, but in the thought process of the human being who decides to use that weapon in their act of violence in their desperation of acting out?

So if we as a society are at a point in our so called "evolution" to seek out the answers as to our so called youth and their acting out in a form of violence that results in death, should we not look into it? Or should we just BLAME GUNS>?

link   

edit on 1-3-2018 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

link   

link   
I wonder how all those mass murderers got their ideas before video games were invented? I mean, it's not like psychopaths have existed throughout history or anything.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
dbl

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I mean, if we have to register our virtual arms, I get it. We need to keep track of them, and I don't know if just anyone should be able to get a fully automatic virtual gun.

Well with the way things are going with all the "pay to win" schemes the video game industry is implementing, it will soon only be the 1% that can afford the good...errm i mean.. evil automatic guns!

Put them on a list I say. Daily surveillance isn't a bad idea either...

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I'm totally OKAY with the gubberment doing a complete background investigation on me to ensure I'll be safe with videos games AND firearms.

I just hope they never catch me playing Grand Theft Auto, any one of them.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
It will be OK. Everyone will love the new games such as Bunny Hop, Candy Cane Swords and Politically Correct Password.

I'm not so sure. I tried those games myself and they actually DO make you want to hurt people.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I'm not saying minds don't change over time, but according to this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

it should align with your views.

This has been an ongoing saga. Those that used to support something can seem to muster the same support because...Trump.

Yeah, I'm definitely the same person I was when I was a freshman in college.

Don't like violent video games/movies? Don't watch them.

They exist in other countries, R* North and DICE aren't even American companies, and other countries don't have mass shootings?

What is it that they don't have that we do?

You do realize in some states - legally - one can purchase a carbine or rifle before buying an M-rated game?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join