It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force selects Joint Base San Antonio for first T-X location

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The Air Force has announced that Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph will be the first base to house the T-X trainer that will replace the T-38. The first aircraft is scheduled to arrive in 2022. Other locations will include Columbus Air Force Base, Vance Air Force Base, Sheppard Air Force Base, and Laughlin Air Force Base. By using the existing training bases, it will take advantage of the existing runway structures, and airspace. That will help keep costs down. By using San Antonio they'll be able to transition current T-38 instructors to the new airframe before they start having students fly them.

The T-X program is expected to be awarded this year. It will be between Saab/Boeing with a clean sheet design, Leonardo with their M346 design, and Lockheed/KAI with their T-50A.

theaviationgeekclub.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Money's on Boeing.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

It's between them and the T-50A. I don't see the M346 having a chance in hell. I'm leaning more towards Boeing for nothing other than industry protection.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   

And Lockheed's not exactly in the Pentagon's good graces right now either.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Yeah, they're going to have to make it a REALLY sweet deal, which I don't think they can and still make money.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

yeah. Don't think that's happening. They're resisting on the F-35 again. Attack dogs loosed and all that.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
And Lackland right there adjacent....lotsa room why, I shipped out from there back in the big one....haha

That Boeing bunch is just doing something right....what ever those flocks of buildings of degreed individuals are doing, it's working

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I don't think they're resisting so much as dragging their heels trying to keep the price up until the block buy starts.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Hmmmm, I seem to remember Boeing has a huge shop at Lackland where I "think" they're doing much maintenance and retrofit. Oddly, all I see flying out of Lackland are huge transport aircraft and its kinda crazy because what we see them do seems to be training touch'n-goes. And that, right over the freeway that is Hwy. 90.

We see the trainers flying out of Randolph all the time when taking the I-10 to Houston.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
youtu.be...

That T-50a is pretty nice looking.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

The T-50A has a slight advantage in that it's an existing airframe. They took the T-50 Golden Eagle, and updated the cockpit and put a refueling receptacle on it.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I saw the retractable door there for the fuel intake.

It ads that ugly as hell hump on the plane. But I guess it's needed.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

It's a requirement under the program. The current T-38s don't have that capability, so they can't teach pilots until they transition to their actual aircraft. They can do up to precontact with a tanker, but that's all.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Where did Lockheed go wrong after the F117?

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

They got over confident, and too big for their britches.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I still think it's Lockheed's to lose because they have everyone beat on price and schedule.

top topics

join