It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake in Arkansas Feb 10

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
o
I was looking at the USGS Earthquake site and there was a light earthquake 4.1 in Arkansas, there was also one in Missouri today a 2.5.
Isn't this a little unusual?
I know there are fault lines throughout the US but a 4.1 would have probably been felt. Anyone out there fm Arkansas and shed some light?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I guess it's not too much of a surprise to the scientists though. That area is actually quite susceptible to an earthquake going by this USGS graphic.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   
thanks cmdr. I didn't realize they were in the red. Don't hear of too many of them in those parts though. With all of the earth climatic changes I find it interesting that usually dormant sections are getting some action.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Actually the earthquake yoo where talking about was felt in 4 states, there is alot of activity in that fault line but usually its pretty mild. If you check around the puducah kentucky area and draw a straight line down from that in to tennesse and watch that area you will see several mild quakes over time.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
minniescar, considering your interest, take a look here as well....
www.iris.edu...

I look at it often... there is a whole lot of shaken going on!! Right now hang on...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
wow jesse, that was awesome to look at.

E_T

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by minniescar
Actually the earthquake yoo where talking about was felt in 4 states, there is alot of activity in that fault line but usually its pretty mild.
That's because are around New Madrid fault zone consists from sediments which amplify waves so that they're felt on much larger area.

quake.wr.usgs.gov...
wwwneic.cr.usgs.gov...

These catastrophic earthquakes occurred during a three-month period in December 1811 and early 1812. They caused changes in the course of the Mississippi River, which rolled backwards temporarily, and were felt as far away as New York City and Boston, Massachusetts, where churchbells rang. Large areas sank into the earth, fissures opened, lakes permanently drained, new lakes were formed, and forests were destroyed over an area of 150,000 acres (600 km²). Many houses at New Madrid were thrown down. "Houses, gardens, and fields were swallowed up" one source notes. But fatalities and damage were low, because the area was sparsely settled.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I dont live in Arakansas, but I do live near Kansas City. I grew up with warnings about the New Madrid and what it could do. Yesterday morning (about 3am) on of my kids...the lightest sleeper in the house....woke us up saying his pillow was bouncing. We thought of course it was a dream. THen a friend calld and asked if anything happened because she woke up to photos that had fallen on the floor and all her things were knocked over in her pantery. Never heard anything of it, we just figured there was another mild quake down there. This whole area is so soggy right now I hope it does not go off. THat would realy cause a mess.

top topics

join