It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blacks Were Enslaved Well into the 1960s

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Its a trap like solving the CIA Kryptos puzzle.
Choose Shakespeare you deal with the Lion.
Scales

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Where does it stop then?

They were held ... so where the others before them ...

Where does it stop?

And how do you define who would and would not benefit? Only those who look right or anyone who can claim those individuals in their ancestry? Understand, Americans are such a mixed bag that many of us have African ancestry now no matter what we look like today.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: Irishhaf

a reply to: Reydelsol

Slavery is still prevalent all over the globe, Human trafficking is just a new name for an old problem.

We shouldn't be surprised by this when people are still being kidnapped and sold into a variety of types of slavery.

Agreed, however, most of these families were simply never freed, and whose, condition of slavery fell through the cracks.

But for me laws were clear laws were broken, lost wages demand attention at least against such estates.

Part of me gets that and part of me ponders do you really punish the children for the sins of the father, now if the paper trail lead to a company, then I think there would be a better case for it.

But how do you prove that the children were aware of the violations, I don't know it really gets to far into legalese for my brain to sort through.

Though those folks were the only ones with a legitimate case for reparations in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
This was touched on in the amazing movie "Same Kind of Different as Me" which was based off real life characters.

Denver Moore was one of the people the movie was based off of and he actually traveled and gave speeches of his life story. He was born in 1937 but grew up a slave on a plantation down south.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Vice has a certain way with words. I attended a lecture once where a Black Canadian historian made the claim that indenture was slavery. A white with an English accent stood to say that he had been born in India, and had been indentured, and he had by no means been a slave. Interesting moment as the historian began to stutter. Many layers here.
Sing it, everybody..."16 tons and whaddya get?"

edit on 1-3-2018 by JohnnyCanuck because: yup

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Slavery in its many forms is alive and well in the 21st Century.

It will never go away because; people.

Humans are often a vile, disgusting species.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
The parents died out the children were born onto it.

Since this was right up to the mid 20th century, go after individuals still alive or estates.
edit on 1-3-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: Reydelsol

Slavery is still prevalent all over the globe, Human trafficking is just a new name for an old problem.

We shouldn't be surprised by this when people are still being kidnapped and sold into a variety of types of slavery.

Yes. A terrible problem we still have globally.

I'm tired of talking partisan issues and tired of hypocrisy from both extremes.

If we wanna be more than virtue signallers it's time we joined our voices and focus on our most pressing issues:

1.) Empire Building is killing Innocents the world over and destroying society in huge and incredibly cruel swaths. This is evil and is why the world hates us.

2.) Human Trafficking (Slavery) is at epidemic levels. International Government Corruption allows this.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

People don't realize that slavery and the scars people still carry from it aren't from all that long ago. Where I grew up in the south I had friends who didn't have a grandfather or great uncle because they were lynched and murdered back in the 40's and 50's.

The families still feel that loss even today. This is the main thing that makes me angry when people pull the "slavery ended in the 1800's, get over it" BS. I had no idea it actually went on up until the 1960's in some places. That's truly horrifying.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Plenty of people are still slaves in the world, and not just black people.

Even more people are essentially trapped in jobs that don't pay enough to make a living. Read the other day that there are a good number of homeless people working for Disneyland. Happiest Place on Earth.

EDIT: Automation and technology taking over low-level service jobs and a world population that just keeps growing with no sign of stopping. And yet there are a lot of people who are like, "What's the problem?"
edit on 1-3-2018 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

It's the way Vice always presents stories, especially their videos.
I didn't see any Eastern Europeans in the video.
There's also the White guy talking about a book saying the Confederacy was right.
Even though his family had nothing to do with the Confederacy.
Vice got started pushing fake Syrian videos trying to demonize Assad.
They have an agenda.

Not sure about vice bias/agenda. However, vice (news) plus hbo series makes a lot of really good videos. I think it has done a lot of good for journalism.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Humans are often a vile, disgusting species.

Yeah, but look at where we came from. That "wild nobility" thing is a lot of hogwash and balderdash.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Somehow I doubt this...
Get it over with and just impose a reparations tax already leftists!
You mean to tell me for more than 4 generations after the south LOST the civil war they continued to enslave black people?
Into the 1960's?!?!
And we are just hearing about this now?

Come on people!
Modern slavery only exists in the middle east and Africa where an estimated 5 million people are slaves... Right now as we speak. Crap like this does a huge disservice to enslaved people everywhere. America once got it's slaves from Africa but evolved past slavery. Meanwhile Africa continues to enslave it's own to this day. Where is the leftist outrage to that?

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

and there were some that choose to stay where they were living under the man.

they had everything they needed and having some piece of paper claiming their freedom did not change their way of life.

hard to imagine slaves owning property and being content with their lives without someone to look down on them for being country folk.

guess what the rapes and such continue to this day

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Makes you wonder who sold the slaves to whitey?

It was blackie.

If you want reparations then go get them from those who sold.

Did you know that at the same time black people were being sold so were white people being sold into slavery and even more were being tricked into building america.
edit on 1-3-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Scars from a lot of things don't go away.

How many people are missing family members because they were drafted, went to Vietname, and never came back?

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Are you saying that people who knowingly used illegal slave labor should not have to pay reparations for it?

FWIW, if you (as an employer) have payroll mistakes that are deemed "material" (more than a couple cents for rounding) the US Department of Labor will issue you a penalty equal to the amount owed (at a minimum...punitive penalties for slave labor would go into the millions to bankrupt you on purpose) plus you will have to pay the amount owed to the "victims" of your errors.

Im just wanting to make sure we are clear on what we are talking about here. This isn't slaves from the days when slavery was legal. These are people enslaved illegally after the Emancipation Proclamation became the law of the land.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

People don't realize that slavery and the scars people still carry from it aren't from all that long ago. Where I grew up in the south I had friends who didn't have a grandfather or great uncle because they were lynched and murdered back in the 40's and 50's.

The families still feel that loss even today. This is the main thing that makes me angry when people pull the "slavery ended in the 1800's, get over it" BS. I had no idea it actually went on up until the 1960's in some places. That's truly horrifying.

Given what we know about generational poverty and how it effects you, "get over it" is just absurd.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

There are people of all races living in generational poverty.

If they all try hard enough, I'm sure they can find someone person, group of people, entity, etc., to blame for their generational misfortunes.

Where does it stop, and does simply paying them a bunch of money magically erase any problem? If it doesn't, then it's not a solution at all, but simply a means of allowing some assuage any guilt they may feel while others can then be told they've been compensated and you know the problem itself won't actually be fixed if it is as you say.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

How do you propose who to charge and how much based on what punchcards?

I believe this happened and is still happening to many races, that doesnt mean its feasible to grant reparations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join