It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoenix/Tucson Area

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: TStoops88
You have to ask?
The Thing
I refused to go there when living in AZ, but I passed by it many times.

edit on 1-3-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar
a reply to: TStoops88

Superstition Mountains, bring a gun
I used to go out there all the time. The lore is interesting about the mysterious murders and Lost Dutchman Mine.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

To go further off topic it's the home of an Atlantis-like legend of the Apaches, too. From gan in the south, to the mogollon monster, to the skinwalkers up North, Arizona has lots of weird native stories to delve into.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

It is quite beautiful and mysterious. I’ve been through there as well. My ex found an Indianhead once and I begged him to put it back, he refused. There are legends about taking things from there.

A good movie, inspired by actual events in the Superstition Mountains is Dark Mountain. I think you would like it!

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: wickd_waze
I'v seen weird lights moving around in strange unusual ways on like three different occasions south of Phoenix looking from Chandler area. It looked like the lights were between Auwatukee and Maricopa area.

You can get strange atmospheric refractions. This link has an explanation of the Marfa lights. It is a podcast, so don't expect a quick answer.
www.acast.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
What are you looking for? Just cool places or alien stuff or what? AZ has it all but you gotta know where to look and what you're looking for.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Take a side trip to Flagstaff, and stand on the edge of the Barringer Crater.
No picture does it justice, you just have to stand there and imagine the power of the rock that made that hole.
It is truly breathtaking.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
Take a side trip to Flagstaff, and stand on the edge of the Barringer Crater.
No picture does it justice, you just have to stand there and imagine the power of the rock that made that hole.
It is truly breathtaking.

And staying barely on topic, there is a plane crash in the crater.
aviation-safety.net...

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

I’d love to know what you got! I recently moved to Scottsdale. I’m very well versed with the Sedona / Verde Valley area — pretty sure I’ve heard it all. However, I know nothing about Phoenix and the outlying areas here.

Please start with aliens and ancient civilizations!

ETA: Obviously I know about the Superstistions from my first post.
edit on 1-3-2018 by KKLOCO because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

I’d love to know what you got! I recently moved to Scottsdale. I’m very well versed with the Sedona / Verde Valley area — pretty sure I’ve heard it all. However, I know nothing about Phoenix and the outlying areas here.

Please start with aliens and ancient civilizations!

ETA: Obviously I know about the Superstistions from my first post.

There's several old businesses like hotels and restaurants around the state that are said to be haunted.

The Navajo Nation will have strange things, like ufo, Bigfoot and skinwalker activities,
happening alot of the times. JC Johnson's four corners crypto channel at YouTube has many crazy Bigfoot and skinwalker stories that goes on around northern Arizona area.

There's also some hot spots for skinwalkers and witchcraft stuff that goes on at certain areas in northern Arizona. Places like Black Mesa Az, Dilcon Az, anywhere near the Hopi reservation borders and Steamboat Az are mentioned often by locals and elderlies from that area. If you camped out in those places for a night or two there's a good chance you might see something paranormal.
edit on 1-3-2018 by wickd_waze because: ASU

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I have lived in both Phoenix and Tucson as an active duty Air Force member. I was stationed at Luke AFB in the mid-90s, and Davis-Monthan AFB until I retired nearly a decade ago.

If you are truly in search of the weird, and possible extra-terrestrials... spend a day in Bisbee.

Don't stare. Don't giggle. Just take it all in.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
I have lived in both Phoenix and Tucson as an active duty Air Force member. I was stationed at Luke AFB in the mid-90s, and Davis-Monthan AFB until I retired nearly a decade ago.

If you are truly in search of the weird, and possible extra-terrestrials... spend a day in Bisbee.

Don't stare. Don't giggle. Just take it all in.

Bisbee is great. Old mining town that got taken over by bohemians! I used to chill there once in a while when I lived in Tucson.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

It is quite beautiful and mysterious. I’ve been through there as well. My ex found an Indianhead once and I begged him to put it back, he refused. There are legends about taking things from there.

A good movie, inspired by actual events in the Superstition Mountains is Dark Mountain. I think you would like it!

I'll have to check out! The cities if az are eh, especially Phoenix. Tucson is cooler. But, the wilderness and old mining towns are great, from Bisbee to Flagstaff.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

To go further off topic it's the home of an Atlantis-like legend of the Apaches, too. From gan in the south, to the mogollon monster, to the skinwalkers up North, Arizona has lots of weird native stories to delve into.
Yes, I've heard the wonderings regarding even an Aztec connection. I used to do work with some Native American tribes in Az and WA. A major interest of mine historically. If you haven't read, check out the Book of the Hopi. Some amazing legends.
edit on 1-3-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

I'll have to check out! The cities if az are eh, especially Phoenix. Tucson is cooler. But, the wilderness and old mining towns are great, from Bisbee to Flagstaff.

Arizona is amazing, if you can find the hidden beauty among the endless expanses of brown dirt, and Circle-Ks.

Sedona used to be phenomenal. Now... a tourist trap, and gated community for the wealthy.

Phoenix is way too damned big.

Tucson has tried to keep a small time "vibe", but with Pima County at 1,000,000 plus... the traffic always sucks. They lost the Cactus League teams when the city decided that no improvements were needed at the two crappy ballparks.
The University of Arizona considered relocating to Phoenix, but they feared the loss of "Revenge of the Nerds" tourism dollars.

99% of all hippies have now relocated to Bisbee. I loved the place; great food, total weirdness. Like France.

Prescott is a nice respite from the summer heat.

Flagstaff is pretentiously quaint. I found kangaroo jerky there, which really freaked out my vegetarian daughter. That was a plus.

Yuma... aka "Abydos" (for you Stargate fans). I have driven through there on I-8, and both times as fast as possible. The highlight of my last foray through there, was my interaction with the US Border Patrol K-9 that wanted to eat my car. Our female Belgian-Mali was in the back seat... in heat. The Border Patrol Belgian Mali thought she was pretty hot. I have never been closer to a full cavity search... or being mauled by horny dogs.

Mt. Lemmon, north of Tucson is a fantastic summer getaway... it is over 9000' in altitude, so acclimate first. High Altitude Pulmonary Edema is bad news. The "Iron Door" restaurant on Mt. Lemmon is fantastic.
Try to limit your visit to less than 12 hours, and it should be OK... edema wise.

The NASCAR venue in Avondale is awesome, if you get the chance... PIR is my favorite track, hands down. They pour very stiff bloody marys... you have been warned. Drunk driving is to be avoided in Maricopa County... ask Kurt Busch.

Hopefully you get to witness the desert bloom in the spring. Beautiful... but, pack anti-histamines.

By the way, damn near anything in Arizona that can bite you... may possibly kill you. Don't get bit.

Enjoy your stay!

Edit to add: There is a steakhouse at the intersection of SR 82 and SR 83 in Sonoita, AZ. Phenomenal. Totally worth the 45 minute drive from Tucson.

Tombstone is worth the visit, time permitting. Yes, it is a tourist trap... but a lot of fun... honestly, the local art galleries are the best part. Yes, the prices are in dollars, not pesos.

edit on 2-3-2018 by madmac5150 because: Updating the Frommers folks...

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Arizona is amazing, if you can find the hidden beauty among the endless expanses of brown dirt, and Circle-Ks.

Sedona used to be phenomenal. Now... a tourist trap, and gated community for the wealthy.

Tucson has tried to keep a small time "vibe", but with Pima County at 1,000,000 plus... the traffic always sucks. They lost the Cactus League teams when the city decided that no improvements were needed at the two crappy ballparks.
The University of Arizona considered relocating to Phoenix, but they feared the loss of "Revenge of the Nerds" tourism dollars.

99% of all hippies have now relocated to Bisbee. I loved the place; great food, total weirdness. Like France.

Flagstaff is pretentiously quaint. I found kangaroo jerky there, which really freaked out my vegetarian daughter. That was a plus.

Yuma... aka "Abydos" (for you Stargate fans). I have driven through there on I-8, and both times as fast as possible. The highlight of my last foray through there, was my interaction with the US Border Patrol K-9 that wanted to eat my car. Our female Belgian-Mali was in the back seat... in heat. The Border Patrol Belgian Mali thought she was pretty hot. I have never been closer to a full cavity search... or being mauled by horny dogs.

Mt. Lemmon, north of Tucson is a fantastic summer getaway... it is over 9000' in altitude, so acclimate first. High Altitude Pulmonary Edema is bad news. The "Iron Door" restaurant on Mt. Lemmon is fantastic.
Try to limit your visit to less than 12 hours, and it should be OK... edema wise.

The NASCAR venue in Avondale is awesome, if you get the chance... PIR is my favorite track, hands down. They pour very stiff bloody marys... you have been warned. Drunk driving is to be avoided in Maricopa County... ask Kurt Busch.

Hopefully you get to witness the desert bloom in the spring. Beautiful... but, pack anti-histamines.

By the way, damn near anything in Arizona that can bite you... may possibly kill you. Don't get bit.

Enjoy your stay!

Thanks, but you I think you meant to respond to someone else. I lived in both Phoenix and Tucson, and spent in all those spots besides Yuma.
edit on 2-3-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-3-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Enjoy your stay!

Thanks, but you I think you meant to respond to someone else. I lived in both Phoenix and Tucson, and spent in all those spots besides Yuma.

So... you are asking this community about weird places to visit in Arizona... and you are critical of responses because you have "been there". ??

May a gila monster gnaw at you while you sleep, sir...

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Another vote for Tombstone. Real history there, from the O.K. Coral , to the BirdCage Theater... something for everyone.
Home of Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday and Bignose Kate. I attended a lock-in at the BirdCage... what an interesting time that was... Do not miss it.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Enjoy your stay!

So... you are asking this community about weird places to visit in Arizona... and you are critical of responses because you have "been there". ??

May a gila monster gnaw at you while you sleep, sir...
I'm not the op.....

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
Another vote for Tombstone. Real history there, from the O.K. Coral , to the BirdCage Theater... something for everyone.
Home of Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday and Bignose Kate. I attended a lock-in at the BirdCage... what an interesting time that was... Do not miss it.
Yeah, it's a bit touristy but I enjoy Tombstone none the less.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join