It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump Says, 'Take the guns first, go through due process second'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Took the title here from article at The Hill"

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time,” Trump said at a meeting with lawmakers on school safety and gun violence.

“Take the guns first, go through due process second,” Trump said.

Trump was responding to comments from Vice President Pence that families and local law enforcement should have more tools to report potentially dangerous individuals with weapons.

“Allow due process so no one’s rights are trampled, but the ability to go to court, obtain an order and then collect not only the firearms but any weapons,” Pence said.

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court," Trump responded.

Somebody is going off NRA script. That wasn't the end of it though. More from NY Times:

In a remarkable meeting, the president veered wildly from the N.R.A. playbook in front of giddy Democrats and stone-faced Republicans. He called for comprehensive gun control legislation that would expand background checks to weapons purchased at gun shows and on the internet, keep guns from mentally ill people, secure schools and restrict gun sales for some young adults. He even suggested a conversation on an assault weapons ban.

“You’ll never get it,” Mr. Trump told Representative Steve Scalise of Louisiana, the House Republican whip who was gravely injured in a mass shooting last year but still opposes gun restrictions. “You’ll never get it passed. We want to get something done.”

Mr. Trump also flatly insisted that legislation should raise the minimum age for buying rifles to 21 from 18 — an idea the N.R.A. and many Republicans fiercely oppose. When Mr. Toomey pushed back on an increase in the minimum age for rifles, the president accused him of fearing the N.R.A. — a remarkable slap since the association withdrew its support for Mr. Toomey over his background check bill.

Trump also went on about how he wanted "very powerful" background checks, expressing support for the Manchin-Toomey legislation killed by Republican filibuster in 2013. He also admonished Republicans not to include concealed-carry reciprocity in any prospective legislation as it wouldn't pass.

At one point, he even seemed to support Sen. Dianne Feinstein's proposal as well as suggesting that ideas from Sen. Amy Klobuchar could be added to a revived Manchin-Toomey bill which caused Feinstein to giddily erupt. No, seriously. See at the 60s mark in the below video:

Of course a lot of people on both sides of the aisle are skeptical, believing that much like the immigration meeting stunt, Trump will say anything to please the crowd in the moment but in the end, the hardliners will get in his ear and he'll fall back in line with the establishment.

Crazy stuff.

As for the quote in the title. It's frankly disturbing and I'm hoping it will finally snap a few among Trump's supporters out of their stupors. Trump doesn't believe in the rule of law — not really — he sees due process as an impediment to be overcome or sidestepped when convenient for what he wants.
edit on 2018-2-28 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Strike one, Donald.

+12 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Not fond of this. Hell, I'm really pissed. His words on this today shouldn't be taken lightly.

Not what I voted for.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: chadderson

Strike one, Donald.
Strike one two three and its a no hitter. Trump just lost his re election bid. hes DUN. not just DONE but DUN.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Not fond of this. Hell, I'm really pissed. His words on this today shouldn't be taken lightly.

Not what I voted for.

I agree with th eDems now. Impeach him.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Foregoing Due Process. Like that's really going to happen.

I'll give him credit though. He did have players from both sides sitting at the table and he had them behaving like adults.

Fortunately, this is not a decision even the President can make. The ownership of firearms in America is understood to be an inalienable right. Anything threatening that is gonna lead to a fight and serious bloodshed. The whole time that's going on no one's going to be getting anything done. Does anyone really want those types of consequences?

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   
he was just agitating them....rattle em to see if they break up

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I never thought I would say this.

Anti your post is spot on.

Trump lost a good supporter today with his behavior. Nobody fought for our rights.

I will support a 3rd party independent from this point on.

I've never been so disapointed.

I was pumped, fof the first timr, in a long time that someone was going to MAGA.

His actions reflect he is a shill, and you were right.

(Passes out and falls over)

...But Clinton would have sucked a bigger egg, lol
edit on 2 by Mandroid7 because: sp, format

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

eDems

Pretty sure that was a typo but that's hilarious!

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY

NOPE that was just plain stupidity. Trump started out well but he just killed his train.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY

I really hope so, current events and patterns have me on edge.

Maybe an issue he's passing off to supreme court.

link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: yuppa

eDems

Pretty sure that was a typo but that's hilarious!

the pursuit o fun intentional humor. lol.

+4 more 
link   

Hilarious
It looks like the Republicans are slowly waking up to the fact that Trump is actually a Progressive in Conservative Sheep's clothing...

Let's see how strong his Cult Power really is

edit on 28-2-2018 by EmmanuelGoldstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Deplorable

Fortunately, this is not a decision even the President can make. The ownership of firearms in America is understood to be an inalienable right. Anything threatening that is gonna lead to a fight and serious bloodshed.

Bloodshead?

Now that sounds threatening. Who ya gonna shoot?

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I will reserve judgement until I see what the bill is.

If we are talking background checks fine. If we are talking about warrantless seizure of property or any type of "bans" then I fear he will lose massive support.

I have always been fearful of his "Progressive Tendencies" coming back to haunt us.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 28-2-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

If Trump was to fail, it is preferred that he do so on his own merits.

In the meantime, while the rest of the country and world were crying, yelling, screaming, pandering and lying, what did they build? What are they bringing forward for their constituents and to build their base? This includes 3rd parties.

For all those that despised Trump from the beginning, I'm seeing nothing that comes close to competition.

link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: Deplorable

Fortunately, this is not a decision even the President can make. The ownership of firearms in America is understood to be an inalienable right. Anything threatening that is gonna lead to a fight and serious bloodshed.

Bloodshead?

Now that sounds threatening. Who ya gonna shoot?

All poloticians who want to strip the 2nd would be the optimal target to people such as that.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

In posting excerpts, I forgot to circle back to the quote in the title but I've just updated the OP to include remarks at the bottom.

I'm interested in your take on how easily he tossed out the idea of throwing due process out the window. To me, this is just another example of what I see as authoritarian tendencies. What's ironic here is that for all the talk about gun grabbers Obama et al, the DOJ under Eric Holder was so circumspect that they didn't even go after low hanging fruit like bump stocks, determining instead that they didn't violate federal law.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   

That wont do at all. You got one Ante.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Strategy Strategy

Always Listen to the Talk, but Listen Closer to the Results

--Confucius circa 500bc

🎙☎📺

new topics

top topics