It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need to make website to sell items & also list on ebay & maybe Amazon & Craigslist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
So, I'm an IT admin (systems/networking & technician) but am not really a coder so much but can make a decent page, nothing "flashy" (pun intended) nor with java, CSS, etc. Basic frames, headlines, images, etc.

I'd like to be able to accept paypal, credit cards (can be seperate forms not integrated). I run Linux and want to know good software for this as I'm used to Dreamweaver (have license for 5.5, 6 and CS version). Is there a Linux like program for this?

I have 3 seperate catagories, unrealted to each other, Electronics, Herbal stuff, hardware tools (new & restored) & a bunch of other things, so I'd have a page for each catagory and then list the items on each page and then maybe a page for each item. On top of all pages I'd have the basic "Products, about us, contact us, order online, etc) as well as the header graphic for the site.

I'd also like to have something like a blog where I can tell customers what I have in the works, what will be showing up on the site in the future (product wise)

I'd like a place where people can ask for specific products that want me to get or carry as well as submit feedback of any kind.

Can anyone suggest the best way to go about doing all of this, what language I should write this in (html, php, etc?)?

I'm also not up to date on online payment methods and would like to take as many as possible, including bitcoin I guess. Any suggestions here?

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   
All I know is I only by stuff from other online stores if I absolutely cannot find what I am looking for on amazon or eBay. There is too much identity theft going on for me to trust someone’s online store. I would just open a amazon store if you really want to make money. Just my 2 bits.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Have you tried checking out any tutorial websites? There's tons of them that are rather good. I've used pixel2life quite a few times, and they cover everything from Photoshop to PHP.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
So, I'm an IT admin (systems/networking & technician) but am not really a coder so much but can make a decent page, nothing "flashy" (pun intended) nor with java, CSS, etc. Basic frames, headlines, images, etc.

There are lots of pre-built solutions out there, that you just install, and fill in your pictures and text about what you want to sell. Some are commercial solutions you pay for, but many are freeware. Just do some research on this. With admin skills, you want to limit your work to installing things, and avoid all coding. It's not worth your time to do any coding in this day and age, you'd just be re-inventing the wheel for something that may not even work out for you. So, go cheap, go free, use pre-existing stuff for everything.

I'd like to be able to accept paypal, credit cards (can be seperate forms not integrated). I run Linux and want to know good software for this as I'm used to Dreamweaver (have license for 5.5, 6 and CS version). Is there a Linux like program for this?

You probably want to run Linux on the server that holds the web site, but also have a windows machine to do some image and text work, since windows is still the best platform, with the most tools, to prepare your website. Don't be a windows hater fanatic, be willing to use anything that's available and works. Some people just hate windows, and won't touch it.

I have 3 seperate catagories, unrealted to each other, Electronics, Herbal stuff, hardware tools (new & restored) & a bunch of other things, so I'd have a page for each catagory and then list the items on each page and then maybe a page for each item. On top of all pages I'd have the basic "Products, about us, contact us, order online, etc) as well as the header graphic for the site.

Forget about having your own site developed. If you do anything on your own site, keep it simple and minimal. People aren't going to find your product from your site. They are going to find you on amazon or ebay, and then check out your site to see something more about you, if they are interested in what you present on amazon or ebay. People pay a lot of money to search engines and advertising shops, to bring visitors to their own site, and rarely ever make back the money. It's not worth it. Don't to it, unless you become a big company, and have lots of revenues already. Let amazon and ebay do all the marketing for you.

Basically, people will check out your site, to see if you operate a business independent of amazon or ebay, and will feel more comfortable about buying your products, if they see you have your own shingle. But, they'll buy from amazon or ebay instead, because they get to leave feedback and complain to the whole world, if you disappoint them. And the buyers get "buyer protection" from amazon and ebay, that will give them back their money, if things don't work out. They are not going to buy from you direct, unless they have already bought many things from you on amazon and ebay, and you're offering a substantially lower price on your own site (which some sellers do, to avoid paying amazon and ebay fees).

So, in the beginning, you want a basic shingle, hanging out there, with things like phone and address, and maybe a couple pages describing a few things. Spend no big effort on this, it won't repay the effort, unless you already have significant revenues to keep it going.

I'd also like to have something like a blog where I can tell customers what I have in the works, what will be showing up on the site in the future (product wise)

The objective of the "blog", is to hang out some text out there, loaded with "keywords", to get indexed by search engines, that then bring visitors to your site. So, you want your blog to talk about things you're actually selling, that the visitor can immediately click and buy, not some future plan, which is just a waste of time. Since, the person isn't going to come back to your site, if he isn't finding things he wants today.

I'd like a place where people can ask for specific products that want me to get or carry as well as submit feedback of any kind.

The way this is done today, is buying the information from the search data directly from the marketplace, like amazon or ebay. I noticed this years ago. When I enter the term "Function Generator" into the ebay search field, I find nothing. Then, 24 hrs later, several sellers have put up offerings listed on ebay for various "Function Generators". So, ebay must be selling them this information, and enabling the sellers to list their items "just-in-time" to try to grab a sale. I wanted a Book recently, that was listed on Amazon.uk, but not listed in Amazon.com, and the uk seller wouln't ship to north america, so I put that book in my Amazon "Wish List", and lo and behold, a few weeks later a seller appeared willing to ship to NA. So, Amazon must be also selling data on what people are looking for and searching for to its seller base. That's how you get "timely" and "relevant" information on what to list. I bought the book, and I'm happy with it, and the seller is happy, because he sold the book to me at twice the price of the book, and made a killing. But, the alternative for me was to use a forwarding company, that would get me an address in the uk, let Amazon.co.uk ship to that address, and then pay all the fees to get it shipping over here. Too much hassle and cost, so I paid the double.

Can anyone suggest the best way to go about doing all of this, what language I should write this in (html, php, etc?)?

Don't spend your time writing anything, other than marketing text, and uploading pics. Use prepackged tools. Since you've picked Linux for server, I'd say look in the Python packages, and pick and just "install" something.

I'm also not up to date on online payment methods and would like to take as many as possible, including bitcoin I guess. Any suggestions here?

Start with paypal alone. Paypal will let you accept Credit Cards. After you've become somewhat successful, then think of adding other payment methods.

Making money online is hard. Start simple. Find out what works for you. Add features as you grow.

The best money would be spent buying the information from amazon and ebay, that tells you what people are searching for using the search in their marketplaces, and what people have put into their "Wish List" (amazon) and "Watch List" (ebay). Because that gives you relevant info on what people need right now.

If you can't supply what people are currently looking for, putting listings up for things nobody is searching for, is a sure way to burn money, time, and energy, for no return on investment.

edit on 28-2-2018 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2018 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof

Why not use a free 10 min. free website design 1st to start? A bunch out there. Anyone can create a page in minutes. Start there, use a chosen template, upload what you want into the boxes...its a start. And done in a night.

You can build on it day by day, week by week, product by product as you expand it. You be up and running in a day or so. No coding involved. Hey, its a simple start!

Wix Official Site ®

www.wix.com...

Best Website Builder Online. It's Easy, Free & Takes 5 Minutes! Over 94 million people worldwide use Wix to create their stunning websites

**There are also the Top Ten. Some charge some dont. No coding and fast.

edit on 28-2-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Don't make a website to accept sensitive customer data and payment info with your level of understanding. It's irresponsible and asking for trouble. Hire somebody with the knowledge to not screw over your customers.

From a senior full stack dev
edit on 28-2-2018 by hombero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Personally I'd just avoid the headache and let someone like ebay/amazon take the strain, you have to worry of chargebacks on stolen cards and also meeting various legal requirements, while the costs can seem high the fact you don't have to worry about a lot of the crap is worth its weight in gold.

Either that or go and do face to face deals on craigslist but bring a few burly friends for support.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Have you dug through Synaptic for web design solutions? I don't do websites, so it's hard to know exactly what can be used.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   
You can create a website within minutes with a website builder like hPage- www.hpage.com... where you can also put up a Paypal button link. One of the features I like about hPage is the business features for companies and businesses. But for product listing, I advise you to just put it up on Amazon or Ebay if you want the easiest solution. A website is good for promotion though and making your business look professional and legitimate. People can also be able to contact you through a website. So I'd say, have a website for promotion, business legitimacy, and professionalism. But list the products down on Amazon or Ebay.

(post by chiroden removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Try freelancer or fiverr, there you can see lots of cheap web coders.

many people relay on html. So try to create updated website. So your website may rank good in the SERPS.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 08:37 PM
link   
And someone put on site interactive maps? Need advice. I want to make a map of deliveries across the States.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 03:11 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 03:48 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 04:36 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join