It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do the Parkland kids have PTSD?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   
In the America needs to have a talk about mental health, has anyone stopped and asked: Do these blue checked twitter kids have a mental illness?

PTSD is a mental illness, and have these kids been checked out?

www.ptsd.va.gov...

Reliving the event (also called re-experiencing symptoms). You may have bad memories or nightmares. You even may feel like you're going through the event again. This is called a flashback.

Avoiding situations that remind you of the event. You may try to avoid situations or people that trigger memories of the traumatic event. You may even avoid talking or thinking about the event.

Having more negative beliefs and feelings. The way you think about yourself and others may change because of the trauma. You may feel guilt or shame. Or, you may not be interested in activities you used to enjoy. You may feel that the world is dangerous and you can't trust anyone. You might be numb, or find it hard to feel happy.

Feeling keyed up (also called hyperarousal). You may be jittery, or always alert and on the lookout for danger. Or, you may have trouble concentrating or sleeping. You might suddenly get angry or irritable, startle easily, or act in unhealthy ways (like smoking, using drugs and alcohol, or driving recklessly.

Has any media or have they brought up having nightmares or flashbacks
What is their take on demolishing the old building
why do they think guns are more deadly then texting or opioids for their generation

If they do have a mental issue, it's kind of ironic, don't you think?

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Do bears # in the woods......

Of course some of these kids will have PTSD....

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
It's good that you are concerned for the mental health of these young adults. I'm pretty sure though that there are a phalanx of counselors and mental health people helping them in dealing with their trauma.

Would you care to speak to the irony you refer to?

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
They probably do.

Which means their judgement would have been impaired.

So they should not have been put on national television and exploited in that state.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

A girl at my work has just been diagnosed with PTSD she got it from the Manchester concert bombing, she saw some bad stuff so yeah I think many will.
I would think though there will be an army of councilors and people to help them through the tough times ahead.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

While you prefer to see them as being exploited, others see that they are young adults and wish to speak up about a national crisis from personal experience.

Were they to come out and call for more guns to defend themselves would you call them brave and patriotic young Americans?

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

After they are done being used on TV.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
In the America needs to have a talk about mental health, has anyone stopped and asked: Do these blue checked twitter kids have a mental illness?

PTSD is a mental illness, and have these kids been checked out?

www.ptsd.va.gov...

Reliving the event (also called re-experiencing symptoms). You may have bad memories or nightmares. You even may feel like you're going through the event again. This is called a flashback.

Avoiding situations that remind you of the event. You may try to avoid situations or people that trigger memories of the traumatic event. You may even avoid talking or thinking about the event.

Having more negative beliefs and feelings. The way you think about yourself and others may change because of the trauma. You may feel guilt or shame. Or, you may not be interested in activities you used to enjoy. You may feel that the world is dangerous and you can't trust anyone. You might be numb, or find it hard to feel happy.

Feeling keyed up (also called hyperarousal). You may be jittery, or always alert and on the lookout for danger. Or, you may have trouble concentrating or sleeping. You might suddenly get angry or irritable, startle easily, or act in unhealthy ways (like smoking, using drugs and alcohol, or driving recklessly.

Has any media or have they brought up having nightmares or flashbacks
What is their take on demolishing the old building
why do they think guns are more deadly then texting or opioids for their generation

If they do have a mental issue, it's kind of ironic, don't you think?

Uh, I am sure they do. One of my friends husband was shot at the Vegas festival and fire works and country music trigger them both.

These poor kids are never going to be the same.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
i understand the trauma that comes with an event like Parkland. If my child had to go through it, I would be distraught. At the same time, I read about what's happening in Syria and can't imagine what kids (and adults) are going through.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Today students returned to the school, beyond what was shared of the one student who won't in the news-others probably won't return to that particular school. Of course, they will have PTSD.

From sources some want it the Freshmen building demolished.

What Happens to Those Who Survive School Shootings?

While much research has been done into the minds and motives of mass shooters, the psychology of school shooting survivors is in its infancy—though the rate and increasing population of subjects means that it is a burgeoning field. According to The Washington Post, there are more than 150,000 school shooting survivors since the Columbine High School massacre of 1999, considered to be the first of modern school mass shootings.

School shooting survivors have some constant characteristics: They are almost all minors, they have all been exposed to gunfire in an environment that they consider safe, and they face life in the aftermath of a shooting that requires trying to be "normal" in a world where a lot of people don't necessarily understand the unique combination of witnessing gun violence in a school.

PTSD can change the structure of a developing brain.

The authors also note sleep disturbances, anxiety, notable cardiovascular differences, along with cognitive issues. Primate studies have shown hippocampus damage, which is where emotional and memory processing occur.

Source

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I prefer not going on live tv after my friends were rittled with bullet holes to push a GD agenda against people that had nothing to effing do with it.

But I'm cheeky like that.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

I would think though there will be an army of councilors and people to help them through the tough times ahead.

Long as they cough up the money...... Remember this is the US of A

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I prefer not going on live tv after my friends were rittled with bullet holes to push a GD agenda against people that had nothing to effing do with it.

But I'm cheeky like that.

Didums people are practicing there 1st amendment rights what a travesty.

Better remove all amendments from the constitution except the 2nd

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Life of disability no problem. The shrinks will talk them right into it. $$$$$$$ many will move on and prosper.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Reydelsol

Yeah that doesn't work.

Using the first to take away the second.

Cognitive dissonance.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Reydelsol

Actually if you remove the Second then history says the others will be gone soon after.

That's what the Second was put there for.

That you don't understand that is... sad.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I'd say for the next month or two they will have some sort of PTSD symptoms.
For the majority of them, those symptoms will fade away.
For 10% of them, they will need psychological intervention support.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
They probably do.

Which means their judgement would have been impaired.

So they should not have been put on national television and exploited in that state.

How very Soviet of you. Every time the Politburo heard something they didn't want to hear, they had the person declared to be suffering a mental illness and removed them to the gulag. It's a very cowardly way of dealing with your own cognitive dissonance. "I don't like what they are saying - they must be crazy, the poor things."

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Yup. PTSD confirmed.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Much like 18 year old Marines after a nasty firefight.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join