It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dick's Sporting Goods to stop selling assault-style rifles in wake of Florida school shooting

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Smart business. Free publicity and they can appeal to the weekend warrior hipsters.

Never shopped there personally.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
a reply to: GBP/JPY

No "weenies" are the people that buy a firearm from Dick's Sporting Goods. Disclaimer: Buy from a reputable gun dealer.....not the Home Depot of Guns. Buy your firearm from those that sell only that.....firearms. Plenty of smaller gun shops around. They tend to know more, teach you more, and their not just out there for their own bottom line. Find one you like, you end up being treated like family......Go get that at Dick's.

Ummm...precisely...I've never even been tempted to buy anything from Dicks...and if that's how they want to be...dicks about it...then I guess I never will either...

There's a meme in there somewhere...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
So they are going to stop selling black cored rifles.......

These chains of businesses caving to emotions instead of actual logic should alarm everyone.....

We no longer deal in facts, and can be swayed to make long term decisions of consequence solely based on media hype and kids who have turned political activists , who probably can't even name the areas of government, and are now trying to dictate the policies there in....

The US has lost its effing mind.......

I'm not a fan of this decision, but we do have to recognize that this is how the market/capitalism is supposed to work. Businesses change and mold themselves to fit demand and are easily affected by pressures from the buying public.

Whether or not the public's fears are legitimate are another matter altogether, but Dick's sees that the people are pissed and have to alter their practices in order to appeal to potential future spenders.

This, it amazes me that so many people only believe in the “free market” when it suits them.
But I suppose that’s the trend these days.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I'm not convinced that "boycott dicks" is a slogan that's going to catch on.....

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
"We don't want to be part of this story..."

So they proceed to pull this stunt to bring themselves into light regarding this story.

At least i know not to go there to purchase anything....

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

Actually........

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indrasweb
I'm not convinced that "boycott dicks" is a slogan that's going to catch on.....

Wear a pink hat and it suddenly makes sense. . . . . . .

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Cya @ the Gunshows.

lol # dicks.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

“No More Dicks!”

“We hate Dicks!”

“Dicks Sucks!”

Hmmm....

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Wear a pink hat and it suddenly makes sense. . . . . . .

Wrong crowd for this though.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ursushorribilis
a reply to: introvert

Except the majority of people pissed don't even buy weapons.

Irrelevant. It doesn't matter if they buy that firearm or not. I would bet that sales of that particular firearm is spit compared to the potential sales that could be lost for other products at their store.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I don't shop there since my town doesn't have a Dick's.

I guess you could say this is one of the times it's good to be Dick-less.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Ursushorribilis

Makes me want to cash out the retirement and start my own gun store.
I'd call it " Gun's Are Us" I'd sell a pink RIFLE shaped like a unicorn with an angel halo trigger guard, semi-auto of course. With optional Rainbow sling for shoulder carry....do it in .223 and maybe .308 that's some knockdown power right there. Would it make them think it's any less lethal? It's the person not the firearm.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
“No More Dicks!”

“We hate Dicks!”

“Dicks Sucks!”

Hmmm....

The last one is a 'one hand clapping' type of koan.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I walked into their store once but they had assault knives with black handles.

I made a small wee and had to run away.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I own this particular model gun....a 30.30 lever action rifle. Assault style. It's no different from my other that's Cowboy style. Does the same thing, the same way, just looks more...let's say "intimidating". I love the thing, got the bells and whistles model.
edit on 28-2-2018 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Free market, don't like their decision, don't spend your money there. Works both ways. Maybe you have a Keurig machine to shoot up with your many other guns?

I wonder if Dick's will stay firm on their really hard decision.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

That's scary looking

link   
Good for them. They'll get the same amount of money from me that they've always gotten... zero.

Their gun selection has always sucked, especially compared to my LGS.

One wonders though, since only around ~5% of firearm homicides are committed with a rifle, does this mean that by continuing to sell other firearms that they support killing by those guns?
edit on 2-28-2018 by cynicalheathen because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
This, it amazes me that so many people only believe in the “free market” when it suits them.
But I suppose that’s the trend these days.

It's not that nobody believes in the free market, they're just not happy with certain decisions in said free market. They're voicing their opinions, and also stating that they won't ever do business with them in the future. Isn't that how the free market works??

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join