It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Army Investigating Ordnance found in Driveway Material

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
U.S. Army ordnance experts are scrambling to defuse unexploded World War I-era munitions that have shown up in clamshells used as paving material for parking areas and driveways in Virginia, Maryland and Delaware.

story.news.yahoo.com

More than 300 munitions - mostly British and French-made hand grenades but at least one 75 mm projectile containing a chemical agent - have been recovered from 18 driveways and a Delaware clam-processing plant, Williams said.

Some grenades were actually found inside the clams.

Last February, a Bridgeville, Del., resident discovered 32 corroded - but live - hand grenades while spreading crushed clamshells delivered to his property. Subsequent similar discoveries triggered the investigation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Can you imagine the expression the mans face when he found 32 live grenades on his driveway? Now there is a real scary thought for sure.

How, on earth did munitions from the British and French get into American waters?

What disturbs me somewhat is the fact one of them was a chemical agent, although I would tend to think it is no longer of any danger, although I could be wrong. I can just imagine what havoc it could cause if it was still active.

[edit on 2/16/2005 by shots]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Wow - spooky stuff...I'm surprised they didn't get set off in whatever form of a warehouse they keep these shells in.....or ground up and then set off....

How, on earth did munitions from the British and French get into American waters?

That's nothing too uncommon....Probably the North Equatorial Current - or one of those currents...lol

[edit on 2/16/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
A big hunk of metal carried by the currents? I'm guessing that our guys brought them back and ended up having to dump them before they came in to port. They even pushed aircraft over the side of carriers for some reason while returning. I forget exactly why.
Also we may have done familiarization with allied weapons in training then disposed of them offshore.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
This news has been reported multiple times over the course of several years. I wonder why it keeps popping up at yearly intervals..

It is somewhat distressing that military ordinance is finding its way into people's driveways. I think the obvious answer is, don't pave your driveway with shells. Now who stands to benefit if people use more asphalt and less natural materials? hmmm..

This isn't that strange a news story, when you consider it comes from a press heavily influenced by corporate needs.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
just wierd...

it never trys to explain how a fist sized grenade could make it thru a crusher that grinds bits to centimeter sizes....

it is almost as if it is added after the crushing.... hummmm

A friend once worked for a company that defused old ordinance (missles and bombs). They got paid for each peice disassembled... (they also kept the scrap for additional profit)

Maybe some company gets paid for how may small munitions it defuses and figuered out a cheaper faster way to get rid of them?

and as to the mustard gas munition... it states that it sent 3 military men to the hospital...

hummmmm... still just wierd...

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Could get real exciting trying to park your SUV...

join