It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead of winter temps at poles rising

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I'm in Michigan and here it is 60* in February. A lot of people seem to be in denial over global temperatures. I've been ice fishing since the early 80's. Every year I watch as the ice comes and goes. This time of year normally the coastguard would start breaking up the ice to clear shipping lanes. I would watch the coastguard cutters as I fished. No ice the last 3 out of 4 years. I watched from satellite photo's online at NOAA's website as the 90% of the ice disappeared within the last 7 days. 7 days ago Lake St Clair Lake Erie and southern Lake Huron were frozen solid. Last year and the year before they didn't freeze at all. 6 out the last 10 years the lakes in my area did't freeze. The 80's and 90's were a lot different. Only 1 time in the 90's 1998 did the lakes not freeze. As now global temps at the poles are above freezing. I can see how someone in the south might not notice a difference.

Here is a satellite image from today from the area I'm talking about. A week ago things were frozen solid. I've been following NOAA satellite photo of this area for the last 15 years.

coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov...

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

I don't think the real argument is about whether or not climate change is real, but it's about the cause and whether or not it would happen even if humans did not exist. It's also about if things like Carbon Credits are / were scams which even the advocates admit was a huge setback for them, due to how obvious it was it was just a money making scheme by phonies.

Climate change has been the norm for the planet all along. Lucky for us, we can adapt unless we are idiots.

Man caused or not, I don't think anyone is saying climate does not change.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Last year was terrible for ice fishing and this year hasn't been much better.
We get extreme cold and than a thaw,more cold and more thawing,so the ice isn't too safe.

Our area got hit with a major flood last spring from the thaw and rain and I kind of expect that to become the norm in the future.
With all the flooding from last spring...last summers fishing was AMAZING!!
Best year I ever had.

I have noticed crazy weather my whole life so I never really think about climate change much.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
I don't think the real argument is about whether or not climate change is real, but it's about the cause and whether or not it would happen even if humans did not exist.

Let me pose this question: If humans build a nuclear power plant and it goes into total meltdown and causes massive radiation pollution for years to come, is that radiation pollution and the damage resulting from it natural or man-made? Obviously it's man-made. The point here is that human beings have the capability to cause changes to the planet. Think of all of the factories spewing pollution into the atmosphere. There are cities in China where there is so much daily air pollution that you can barely see, as in the image below. Where do people think that pollution goes? It doesn't just magically disappear, leaving the planet in the original state it was in before the pollution occurred... No, it goes into the atmosphere and the environment, and those chemicals do things. Some chemicals, when concentrated in the atmosphere, serve to trap heat and cause warming.
Anybody who says humans aren't capable of changing the conditions of the Earth is a moron, imo.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Here's some scientific papers forecasting global cooling to 2050.
www.climatedepot.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

I made no comment on that one way or the other?

I replied to the topic of the thread from the OP.

A lot of people seem to be in denial over global temperatures.

I agree that China is the elephant in the room which makes it odd that all onus is placed on the US don't you think? Glad to see you recognize where the real problems currently lie.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I made no comment on that one way or the other?

I replied to the topic of the thread from the OP.

I agree that China is the elephant in the room which makes it odd that all onus is placed on the US don't you think? Glad to see you recognize where the real problems currently lie.

I know. My post wasn't a response to you, but rather to the point you made about people questioning whether or not climate change is man-made, which is why I quoted that part.
China certainly is a big offender, but many other countries are as well. I saw an interesting documentary not too long ago about this town in Ghana called Agbogbloshie. The whole place is just a big trash dump. People live on it and dig through it for scrap.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

It's truly sad seeing people having to live that way, but what leads to it is for another thread I suppose.

We all want a clean environment no matter our view on the political aspects and it's a shame that gets in the way more than it helps.

Poverty leads to pollution and wealth leads to pollution. Money can fix it though and the poor can't really do anything. For a country to help it must also be financially prosperous. Which is why I come down against the idea of financially destructive policies born of pure politics.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
And ironically the surge in temperature in the Arctic has resulted in the polar vortex giving Europe one last nasty blast of winter. Here in London it's -3.3C outside right now and we have snow showers forecast after what was a remarkably mild January. If you want a good idea about how strange the weather has been in the Arctic this year take a look at this. There's a graph in the article from the Danish Meteorological Institute that show that the temperature in the area has already reached the level that it normally hits around May-ish.
Let's be cautious - this is just one year and one year does not make a trend. But it does contribute to several years of warming, which is worrying.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

cci-reanalyzer.org...

Well. The whole thing moved, we have the arctic heating up and the cold front sits in Europe due to the shift of our jet-streams.
I like how Paul Beckwith does the xplane whilst sharing useful sites to explore.

Ongoing abrupt climate change is causing global weather mayhem, causing huge temperature swings from icebox chills to heat records, and torrential rains with record floods. Arctic temperatures have skyrocketed...

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
We just had a Siberian snow blizzard that blew across Europe. With global warming/climate change there are going to be some areas that get warmer and those get colder. If the circulation currents between the poles and the equator shut down, the high latitudes would have an ice age, and the equatorial areas would either become dense forest like South America or desert like Africa. That depends on humidity.

Can humans change their local climates? Absolutely. It's called the "Heat Island effect" around cities. For every mile of urban development the core temperature rise by 1/2 degree. That's enough to melt snowflakes, hailstones and ice. So the surrounding areas of green space will get snow, while the town just gets rain. If they happen to live next to mountains which store up snowfall to form glaciers, they might just run out of snow for skiing resorts and glacier water for their reservoirs and rivers.

Most of the interaction between the different latitude is governed/indicates by the jet streams. They are where the different Hadley convection cells meet. Sometimes they can get locked into place by areas pf high or low temperature. Many years back they discovered that the main switch to activate all of this was somewhere in Eastern Europe. That set up the jet stream to bend down through the USA.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I'm in Michigan and here it is 60* in February. A lot of people seem to be in denial over global temperatures.

We'll have a few inches by Thursday/Friday. I mean, this IS Michigan afterall.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
I'm in Michigan and here it is 60* in February.

I'm in Las Vegas and it just snowed here the other day. Today the high was 52º, and it may have snowed as well, but I haven't heard any confirmed reports.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I don't think the real argument is about whether or not climate change is real, but it's about the cause and whether or not it would happen even if humans did not exist. It's also about if things like Carbon Credits are / were scams which even the advocates admit was a huge setback for them, due to how obvious it was it was just a money making scheme by phonies.

Climate change has been the norm for the planet all along. Lucky for us, we can adapt unless we are idiots.

Man caused or not, I don't think anyone is saying climate does not change.

Some of our politicians are denying that the earth is getting warmer. Remember the snow ball in congress thing.

We have to at least agree with climate data and temperature records. Many in the USA do not. Heck, in florida they weren't even allowed to use certain terms like "climate change" and "sea level rise". That's the problem.

Keep in mind that we'll adapt as a species, but it won't be pretty. Look at the hottest countries on earth, they're all failing.
edit on 27-2-2018 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Are you complaining about 60F in Michigan in Feb? Cause I am LOVING IT!!!!!!!
Because as a Michigander, I know full well we could have snow tomorrow.

What do you want, 1976 or 1978 again?
(I do!)

And while I am more of Cycle believer, I understand that we can have a small effect. But ONE super volcano, and mother earth trumps us again.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

What do you want, 1976 or 1978 again?

No....NO.....no...(i wasn't even born yet but still)..NO!

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The climate will change and people will adapt just like we have for the last 5000 years plus of human history. I can't believe how many people waste their time worrying about things we can't control. Life will go on.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Well. The whole thing moved, we have the arctic heating up and the cold front sits in Europe due to the shift of our jet-streams.

Yes. The thing is, jet-streams are a result more than they are a cause. Their locations are determined by conditions below them, specifically the convergence of large air masses of different temperatures. The polar jet forms where the cold polar airmass meets the warmer temperate airmass. The subtropical jet forms where the warm temperature airmass meets the warmer tropical airmass. These large airmasses vary in extent and location, as they change shape the location of the jet streams change.

It is not surprising that, with the Arctic warming much faster than the rest of the planet, the northern polar jet would behave "oddly."

The position of a jet stream varies within the natural fluctuations of the environment. They are caused by the temperature difference between tropical air masses and polar air masses. What happens in one part of the world depends on what is happening elsewhere - the atmosphere is a complete environment with numerous connections.

www.metoffice.gov.uk...

edit on 2/27/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Both sides are being disingenuous. Between Gore, it being revealed data is altered to skew the results, the quest for research dollars and the fanaticism a real conversation will never happen.

Both sides take extreme positions. Neither side will come off their high horse to work together for solutions.

It's a bubblegum topic chewing the same stale old piece of gum over and over, expecting it to taste better.

In the case of my generation we have a sour taste in our mouth from being taught that we would be in an Ice Age before now by people from the same group who make the opposite argument now. Makes it hard to trust.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Well, I don't have a horse.

I do believe, we need to stop polluting our planet. Whether it is really affecting us climate wise or not, we need to do that immediately. So I will listen to that part.

But what in the world can we do about a super volcano going off?
And I certainly do not think we should be messing with the weather, if we are. We have no idea what kind of future problems that will cause.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join