It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guitar company Gibson reportedly facing bankruptcy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I had a Gibson Acoustic J-45, neck warped and no amount of truss rod wanking could bring it back. Soured me on the Gibson brand. And imo my old vintage plywood Korean Kay sounds better, more sustain and cost $10 bucks at a garage sale.

It's about the sound, not the decal on the headstock.

And the music...I'm more impressed by some kid singing and playing his originals on a old funky 6stg than some music lesson shreader on a Les Paul, EC Strat, or a Vai Ibanez.

edit on 27-2-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterMcKill

Oh, I know that - but I wanted to make sure my post and intent were clear

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

There are too many differences to count between Gibsons and Fenders. Scale lengths, to begin with. Makes a massive difference in feel and tone. Standard Gibson guitars typically come with hum bucking pickups, Fenders with single coils. This makes a huge tonal difference. Fender and Gibson are not the same guitar.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

There are too many differences to count between Gibsons and Fenders. Scale lengths, to begin with. Makes a massive difference in feel and tone. Standard Gibson guitars typically come with hum bucking pickups, Fenders with single coils. This makes a huge tonal difference. Fender and Gibson are not the same guitar.

If you say so, but they really didn't sound any different from each other to my ear. If this is something musicians bank on with their audiences, it's something so mundane that most never notice it.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

One of my mates had an '76 Explorer and The Paul (a half thick Les Paul), The Paul was really beautiful to play, the Explorer was pretty uncomfortable to me. His band mate hate a Telecaster which I had a go on a few times, totally different guitars, but they complimented each other nicely.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The only Gibson I ever owned was a '76 Firebird. Nice thick overdrive tones but aggravatingly neck-heavy. It just didn't sit right on a strap. Let go and that headstock would point straight at the floor.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

If you say so, but they really didn't sound any different from each other to my ear. If this is something musicians bank on with their audiences, it's something so mundane that most never notice it.

Have you ever considered that your ear might not be at its highest state of development?

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: jokei

Sure, tonal contrast can be a wonderful thing. Agreed.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterMcKill

get a MTD 5 string instead. more versatile sound. better looks.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Sorry for not replying in a timely manner. I know about the Epi's, but I am a snob and want the open book head stock shape... Les Paul's never used to cost so much, when I was a kid, they were expensive, yes, but not 3-4k expensive. You can buy a Suhr, or a Knagg for that kind of coin. Or pretty much anything else for that matter.

edit on 18pmSun, 18 Mar 2018 20:40:31 -0500k0403818000000 by darkwingduck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Gibson, maker of iconic guitars for the likes of John Lennon, Elvis Presley and BB King, filed for bankruptcy protection on Tuesday after facing mounting debt and other financial challenges.

The company, based in the American country music capital Nashville, Tennessee since 1894, filed for Chapter 11 protection—meaning it aims to reorganize its business and restructure its finances.

The company said in a statement it had reached a deal with a majority of its creditors that would give them an ownership stake.

phys.org, May 1, 2018 - Iconic American guitar maker Gibson files for bankruptcy.

Well it happened. Chapter 11 is the better of the deal imo. A chance to get control back, get their financial feet back under them so to speak.

Hope the dealers don't do anything rash as I had just saved my pennies for a new Explorer!

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Epiphone has been rocking out some decent guitars in the last few years. While, arguably, quality at Gibson has dropped to nightmarish levels.

Still.. when we are looking at a $500+ instrument, I don't think it is at all unreasonable to expect level frets.

Anyway, Gibson has made some detrimental decisions in recent times. If Chibsons actually started to branch out under their own brand, Gibson might genuinely be in trouble. That wont happen though. For whatever reason, knockoffs from the region seem to be preferred over establishing a new brand, ever.

The brand name has so much power in the market though. Fender does as well, where most aren't even aware of companies like G & L.

Its a strange resale market too, where even a "perfect" custom guitar made by an unknown luthier will sell for less than far inferior instruments from the biguns. Arguably, that's not so different from many markets, but I think the actual discrepancy is uniquely wide.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

You might be surprised at how many can tell the difference between a single coil and a humbucker, even those that have never played or those that don't even know exactly what makes that difference they hear. This is also true when the artist starts manipulating the tone. Different pickups respond differently.

Not being able to tell the difference isn't necessarily a bad thing though. With things like speakers, that lack of ability translates pretty directly to saving money. This can definitely stem from ignorance and inexperience, but in many cases, it is best left alone for the sake of the pocket book.

<< 1   >>

join