It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: U.S. Officials Worried About Possible Attack Against the American Homeland

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
U.S. officials are once again warning America and Senate Intelligence Committee that Al-Qaida is not the only major threat to US homeland security and interests around the world but that Iran has now moved up the list as the U.S's top threat.

ap.tbo.com
Despite gains made against al-Qaida, CIA Director Porter Goss, in an unusually blunt statement before the mostly secretive Senate Intelligence Committee, said the terror group is intent on finding ways to circumvent U.S. security enhancements to attack the homeland.

"It may be only a matter of time before al-Qaida or other groups attempt to use chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear weapons. We must focus on that," Goss said.

FBI Director Robert Mueller said he worries about a true sleeper operative whom he contended has been in place for years to launch an attack inside the United States. "I remain very concerned about what we are not seeing," he said in his prepared remarks.

Mueller, Goss and other intelligence leaders provided these and other assessments at the annual briefing of threats from around the globe.

Also at the hearing, the head of the Defense Intelligence Agency, Vice Adm. Lowell Jacoby, painted Iran as a leading threat to U.S. interests in the Middle East. In his prepared testimony, Jacoby said he believes that Iran will continue its support for terrorism and aid for insurgents in Iraq.

He said the country's long-term goal is to expel the United States from the region, and noted that political reform movements there have lost momentum.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Islamic extremists, sleeper cells and possible chemical, biological and nuclear weapons have continued to cause concern for the U.S. security. The tension and current activities in the Middle East may have been the reason for the sudden reinforcement of the warning. Rumsfeld also has expressed concern that a terrorist attack on the US is imminent and that he believes terrorists groups are simply regrouping before the next one.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It has been a while since we've had some terror.

WW

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
It has been a while since we've had some terror.

WW

thats what i was thinking about it today.
its been a long time since FOXNEWS decided to scare people for no reason

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
suddenly everything seems to be moving faster and the variety of "news" and "messages" coming from all the various "officials" involved suggests that the next few weeks will be quite interesting to say the least.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
its been a long time since FOXNEWS decided to scare people for no reason

Oh, there is a reason, but it is not for our safety. It is keep us in fear of the 'evil arab'. I'm really beginning to wonder how long it will be before they do pass the Patriot Act in some form.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Rumsfeld also has expressed concern that a terrorist attack on the US is imminent and that he believes terrorists groups are simply regrouping before the next one.

Boy, talk about stating the obvious. I think most of us figured that out quite awhile ago.

Al-Qaida is not the only major threat to US homeland security and interests around the world but that Iran has now moved up the list as the U.S's top threat.

Hmmm, sounds like a script doesn't it? Iran is now moving up on the list of Americas top threat. Wow, I didn't see that one coming. Let's see what'll be next?
1) An aircraft will be shot down from a source in Iran killing
soldiers/reporters
2) A tape/computer/paperwork will be found outlining a major attack on
US soil to be carried out by Iranians
3) Osama Bin Laden will be tracked and spotted in Iran having tea and
crumpets with the Ayatollah - he will be wearing a death to America
T-Shirt.
4) A satellite photo will show a suspected nuclear missile being assembled
right behind the Ayatollahs house.
5) Something will blow up in Israel, and a burned scrap of paper found at
the scene will say "Thank you for choosing Iranian. Makers of the best
bombs on earth."

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
You what's going to be funny? Here's the government warning us over and over again that they see more attacks coming. Yet, when the attack actually happens they admit they didn't know. Then they ask for more power. Just like 9/11.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The Patriot Act is up for renewal, more chatter, a foiled terrorist attack and especially a successful one will be just what is needed for the Patriot Act to fly thru Congress again.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   

The Patriot Act is up for renewal, more chatter, a foiled terrorist attack and especially a successful one will be just what is needed for the Patriot Act to fly thru Congress again.

You're absolutely right. I was only being half facetious in my previous post. There will be something that happens which will pass the Patriot Act, and get the citizens of the US to back the Bush administration for war in Iran. Scary isn't it?
I just hope that the choice is a foiled terrorist attack rather than a successful one.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Here we go agian.Lets see what kind of excuses the Bush adminstration can come up with and flip flop on like they did with Iraq.
At least it wont be an out right lie to say Iran has nukes, unlike Iraq......

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
there is a really simple formula...

piss off one country = add one country to the list of possible attacking enemies...

if we don't want lots of different enemies, then lets not go stirring a bunch of wasps nests ...

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Yes, absolutely - we're being scared-up so the Patriot Act can be expanded. ... Negotiations will likely be finalized in March to expand NAFTA's scope and the geographical reach of the "Patriot Act."

US Brokers Continental Corporate Takeover

NorthAmerica: Border Talks "Disturbing"

Re: the explosion in Iran - If you want to know why something happened, look at the effects - and of course, follow the money.

TORONTO (CP) - The Toronto stock market moved up Wednesday on higher energy stocks as oil moved ahead almost $1.00 US per barrel, partly on reports of an explosion near a nuclear facility in the oil-rich nation of Iran.

Calgary Herald

The dollar initially slipped against the euro and Swiss franc after an Iranian report that an unknown aircraft fired a missile on Wednesday near the southern city of Dailam in the province of Bushehr where Iran has a nuclear power plant.

Iran later said the missile report was wrong, as was a subsequent one saying a fuel tank had fallen from a plane.

Israel, which like the United States has accused Iran of trying to build nuclear weapons, was not involved in the explosion, according to senior Israeli security forces.

The Iran news overshadowed robust U.S. housing start numbers for January.

In mid-morning New York trade, the euro was nearly flat against the dollar from late Tuesday's levels at $1.3026 . The euro zone currency had earlier climbed to a two-week high around $1.3065 on the first reports of the Iran blast. Against the Swiss franc , the dollar was trading at 1.1870 francs, down 0.3 percent from late Tuesday.

"Housing starts did not have much impact on the FX market. It's very good data -- we've got new highs in both series," said Greg Anderson, senior currency strategist at ABN AMRO in Chicago.

"I'm sure this will push up U.S interest rates a bit, but when you have this geopolitical thing out there, and you don't know what's going on and you have more data, plus you have Greenspan coming up this morning, you don't really expect much of an FX impact from the housing number," he added.

Reuters Business News

[edit on 16-2-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Terror fatigue must be getting to me. Cause when I first heard about this stuff today. I skimmed the article and assumed same ol' same ol'. Might be the apathy that will get us. And while superdude was being facetious, he may not be foar off the mark.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
And who’s turn is it to be the terrorist Syria? Monkey man needs a reason to get into Iran.

It is not yet known who is behind the assassination of Hariri, who was killed along with at least 11 others in an explosion in Beirut. What can be said for certain is that the US government has seized on the killing as a pretext for advancing its own interests in the region.

Washington’s belligerent response began only hours after the killing. At a noon press conference on Monday, White House spokesman Scott McClellan warned that the US would consult with members of the United Nations Security Council “about measures that can be taken to punish those responsible for this terrorist attack, to end the use of violence and intimidation against the Lebanese people, and to restore Lebanon’s independence, sovereignty and democracy by freeing it from foreign occupation.”

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Cynicism A Poor Substitute For Skepticism

If those tasked with defending the U.S. against terrorist attacks express concerns about future attacks, they are ridiculed and maligned as fear-mongers.

If they remain silent, then they are withholding information Americans have a right to know, and if another attack occurs, the very same people criticizing these warnings will howl and shriek about how they weren't warned.

In other words, there is nothing that can be done to satisfy such cynics.

Since there is no logic in such thinking, I cannot agree with it.

Instead, I observe it and occasionally comment on it.

I recommend against adopting positions that are inherently wrong.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Look at the board. We have taken Iraq. However, to go after Syria, Iran needs to be taken. We can not have two fronts to defend. Yes, we still have to be concerned regarding our enemy treatening North America. It won't come from Europe. Latin America and Alaska are vunerable. Therefore, protect these points be placing more resources and go after Iran on the next roll. Once this is done move trough Syria to Lebonnon. Then we are within range to group up with Israel. Whatever we do let South Korea, Japan and China go at it for North Korea.

On our next roll we get to place armies. One concern is there are not currently enough pieces for us to place what we are entitled to place. Someone needs to call the Selective Service and get us some new pieces.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
This is all about the budget.

The CIA, FBI, and the military want their BILLIONS of dollars, so they're throwing threats out there.

It worked for the election, didn't it?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by elderban
This is all about the budget.

The CIA, FBI, and the military want their BILLIONS of dollars, so they're throwing threats out there.

It worked for the election, didn't it?

But also the expanded Patriot act and NAFTA super-sized. Part of the same package IMO.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
How stupid do they think we are??

I know, some people beleive it. But come on,!!!

This is all easier to put together than a 3 piece puzzle from Walmarts.

*bangs head*
*ouch*

I just cant beleive it.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
[edit on 17-2-2005 by dgtempe]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join