It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Canada to Host Major Climate Conference

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The Kyoto Protocol, the first international effort to slow down global warming, went into effect today after years of bitter political battle about its practical impact and of course, potential economic fallout. As a result, Canada today announced that it will host the 11th International Conference on Climate Change at end end of the year in Montreal.

www.ctv.ca
Prime Minister Paul Martin announced Canada will take a leadership role in the environment by hosting a major international conference on climate change.

On the day the Kyoto Protocol on reducing global warming came into legal force in 141 countries, Martin announced Montreal will host the 11th International Conference on Climate Change in December.

"Here in Montreal, the nations of the world will work to establish a framework for success in reducing the risks of climate change -- an initiative that will deliver concrete and sustainable results," said Martin.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Although far from perfect, its better than doing nothing. If we don't make some efforts to change our world...what will be left behind for our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren?

Here in Canada, where all the provinces/territories got on board (except Alberta), the government instituted a programme called the One Tonne Challenge to encourage citizens to reduce waste. Other countries are making major inroads in climate change as well - like Germany which produces 1/3 of its electricity from windmills.

I try and do my part...not wasting electricity or water where possible, and having a programmable thermostat for my furnace and air conditioning. Recycling as much as possible -Toronto has a green bin programme where we recycle food waste, baby diapers, kitty litter etc. Hey, I figure every little bit helps!

Related News Links:
www.www.ctv.ca
www.climatechange.gc.ca
www.ctv.ca
www.cbc.ca

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning

I try and do my part...not wasting electricity or water where possible, and having a programmable thermostat for my furnace and air conditioning. Recycling as much as possible -Toronto has a green bin programme where we recycle food waste, baby diapers, kitty litter etc. Hey, I figure every little bit helps!

The new programs in Toronto are great, it's just unfortunate that it came so recently. But like most things of that sort, it doesn't happen unless it's desperately needed.
I hope people are making good use of the composting and such!

Do you use the TTC, AL?
That helps a lot, as well.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It's funny you should mention the city of Toronto, for I have been living here for the past 4 months. Personally, I have never experienced a smog alert during the cold harsh winter month of February until living in the city of Toronto. If you want a prime example of how screwed up we've made our environment, I highly recommend you visit Toronto during the peak summer heat waves.

A local Torontonian once said to me while rollerblading on the lakeshore, "notice how our city looks like a dirty fishbowl where someone has neglected to change the water"

So true..

[edit on 16-2-2005 by syntaxer]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by syntaxer
Personally, I have never experienced a smog alert during the cold harsh winter month of February until living in the city of Toronto.

I don't think anyone else in Toronto has either, syntaxer.

It was a first.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
The new programs in Toronto are great, it's just unfortunate that it came so recently. But like most things of that sort, it doesn't happen unless it's desperately needed.
I hope people are making good use of the composting and such!

Do you use the TTC, AL?
That helps a lot, as well.

Well, in the recycling department, I'm a complete maniac, I recycle everything in site within an inch of its life. I love the green bin programme..and if it helps the environment while reducing the amount of waste that goes to Michigan, more's the better in more way$ than one :-)

As for the TTC...well, I'm very guilty there...my business means I need to chauffeur people around to see houses. I do however, make efforts not to go with two cars where possible...and I don't let the car idle...that's something isn't it...??

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Personally, I have never experienced a smog alert during the cold harsh winter month of February until living in the city of Toronto.

You know, this is the first year that I recall hearing about winter smog...

I hear you about the summer though...its disgusting. Ah, big city life, huh? Great in some respects, sucks in others.

I trust you are enjoying your stay here?

[edit on 16/2/05 by AlwaysLearning]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Have you guys heard about the new program Mayor Miller is trying to get passed through? Basically issueing a new Blue Box in the same style as the green box but much bigger, and getting rid of the grey box alltogether making it simpler. You will be able to put anything you could put in the Grey box in the new Blue box, PLUS you'll also be able to put a bunch of new things in the blue box, not the least of which is SHEET METAL! I am sure anyone living in Michigan will be happy to know that Toronto has finally elected a mayor that puts his money where his mouth is. Next thing Miller has to do is declare Toronto a City State and unilaterally declare that Ottawa can no longer take ANY money from Toronto, we aren't a Cash Cow you know, thats what Alberta's for

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
What i don't understand is, why make a big deal out of this treaty when the major sponsors (Japan, Canada) Not only have no plan to meet thei emissions targets, but are actually seeing increases in emissions since they started pushing for this protocol? What is the point of making a big deal and signing a treaty if you can't meet the goal, or have no plans on how to get there, and aren't taking any steps to comply anyways?

That's some of the biggest complaints about Kyoto. It's nothing but political masturbation and hot air, unless the creators and signers actually *do* something about their emissions. Instead of spending all their efforts to berate the US for not signing their treaty, why don't the Kyoto sponsors lead by example, like the world expects *us* to do all the time?

BTW, nuclear plants produce almost no CO, or CO2

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
What i don't understand is, why make a big deal out of this treaty when the major sponsors (Japan, Canada) Not only have no plan to meet thei emissions targets, but are actually seeing increases in emissions since they started pushing for this protocol?

I say good for them for not giving up and throwing in the towel. ...FYI - the only way the US is staying ahead of the game is by buying pollution "credits" from non-polluters.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Not only have no plan to meet thei emissions targets, but are actually seeing increases in emissions since they started pushing for this protocol?

The reason why we have no plan is twofold. 1. Kyoto just took affect, and 2. Our prime minister has not revealed the budget for this year as of yet, and its widely expected that Kyoto is going to get Major funding. If he doesn't then he will face a backlash in Parliment and it could send us back to the polls. Paul Martin has a very delicate situation right now, one misstep could cost the Liberals big time.

[edit on 16-2-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Sardion-
Yeah, Miller has cojones! I hadn't heard about the big blue box, but already in TO we no longer have to separate recyclables - cans, bottles, paper all can go together now. Apparently they didn't advertise it widely because they aren't prepared in all areas of the city yet.

I'm luv them Alberta digs...and you do too obviously ;-) Don't worry, runs off them like OIL off a duck's back...

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

A local Torontonian once said to me while rollerblading on the lakeshore, "notice how our city looks like a dirty fishbowl where someone has neglected to change the water"

This reminds me on the Fraser Valley in BC. We have so many health advisory's there in the summer months, old people and asthmatics don't get to leave the house for about half the summer.

It brings to mind the Sumas 2 natural gas plant the US wanted to build on the border just on the other side of the most heavily polluted area in BC.

Apparently in real life, just like Sim City, if you build the plant on the border, half the pollution disappears.

new topics

top topics

join