It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

74 percent of millennials to be obese or overweight by 40

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Define millennial (Generation Y), as far as I know it's people born between 1977 to 1995.
I'm betting there are users here who are mocking that don't even realize they're millennials or that they're obese.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingMonkeyInSpace

Phew I'm an X and not fat

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
You mean people gain weight as they get older? SAY IT AIN'T SO RT! Thanks for this eye opening perspective totally NOT designed to ferment negative generational biases.

I'm not gaining weight as I age...
But I'm also active and eat healthy.
Do you walk around with your eyes closed all day?
Half the millennials I seenow are obese!
Open your eyes man!

PS: My post was sarcasm if you couldn't tell. Also, anyone who believes RT's article is gullible and needs to learn how to deny ignorance.

Hahaha! Do I need to provide a list of sources you've used? You will literally attack any information not from your echo chamber. No matter how legitimate it appears. I have my theories why you are here white knight'ing for fat acceptance again. But I will keep it to myself.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Donald Trump is 71 years old and still seems to have pretty good mobility despite having a BMI of 29.9.
The Millennial "dear leader Kim" of North Korea has a BMI of over 44 and you would think that would be a bad influence?
As you get older the extra weight first becomes inconvenient, then in later years can become a serious threat to mobility and health. Not as easy to change lifestyle habits after you become unable to exercise due to the complications of being overweight or obese.
edit on 26-2-2018 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I'm not saying that you're a liar, just that the claim itself is ridiculous. Some individuals may fit their theory, but there's no way it it will apply to the generation as a whole (statistically speaking).

The only times we'll actually see a newer generation dying off before its parent generation is during genocides or massive wars (or maybe during true pandemics). To my knowledge, it didn't even happen in places like Angola, even though they were ravaged by a 27 year long civil war up until 2002 & an HIV/AIDS epidemic at the same time. The life expectancy there is still much lower than the global average, but even that's increased by around 12yrs ever since the war ended (HERE).

From my perspective, they're just trying to raise awareness about the horribly unhealthy lifestyles that many people are taking. They've tried for decades to convince people to follow the food pyramid, to quit smoking, to get enough sleep, to drink more water, and to exercise, etc. But clearly that isn't working (except on people like me, muahahaha!).

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Does opening a new tab count as exercise?

Opening a can of Tab does not count. But then again, if you're drinking it, you must be a glutton for punishment, so you get an A for effort there

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I'm a millennial and I'm healthier than I've been in twenty years thanks to quitting smoking and drinking, ditching gluten & dairy, and starting a fun exercise hobby. Here's one majority I'm super glad I don't belong to.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Another source, this is by Cancer Research UK, not an article by RT. Also, it' been predicted for some time now, that the generation has shown growing weight issues.

People born between the early 1980s and mid-1990s are set to overtake baby boomers as the age group with the highest proportion of overweight or obese people, according to Cancer Research UK.

Prof Linda Bauld, a cancer prevention expert at the charity, said the projection showed many millennials, despite their reputation for “following seemingly healthy food trends”, needed to improve their eating habits, cut down on junk food and eat more fruit, vegetables and fibre.
Source

Probably the same issue as with in the US(would assume then parallels the findings here), though still crossing generational boundaries, that eating good food is out of reach whereas MSG filled carb blast ramen noodles and carb abundant junk food "meals" are cheaper. You couple carb diets with sedentary lifestyles of this digital age, it's a recipe for weight gain.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   
By whose standards?

By most govt. standards, I qualify as morbidly obese. I'm right at 280 lbs. at 6'4", by the end of the day, that's closer to 6'3", I'm sure.

Yet, I'm not obese in any sense of the term, much less morbidly. I don't think my weight has fluctuated for than 15-20 lbs in the last thirty years...certainly not that I noticed anyway.

I'm always curious as to whose standards these are... Not saying it's wrong, just, well, wrong.

There are so many factors. Lifestyle. Body type. I'm sure most of you can think of others.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
It wouldn't be a stretch to assume the bulk of that 74% percentage is going to be southerners.

Puns intended?

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
You mean playing 16 hours of Call of Duty a day doesn't burn calories? I was holding the run button down the whole time. *end sarcasm here* lol
a reply to: trollz

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I'm on the low end of my early 30's and F. And I am seeing this among a decent portion of people around my age. I've let myself go a bit this year as I've been dealing with loads of stress that has made me choose more poorly in my diet than usual. However, I always tend to stop myself before things get too out of control and am able to put the cookies down when I tell myself that's enough, pick up an apple and hit the gym. At my current weight I'm considered slightly overweight but not obese. I would say a lot of people my age ARE obese. Also the amount of children that are really overweight has increased so much! It's really sad to see, I have a child in Grade 1 so I get to see first hand and it's mostly the girls.

I also think this whole movement about embracing ones unhealthy body weight is a bit tragic.

Clean eating is always the thing that gets me back to fit the fastest. So glad I don't have cable, where I would be bombarded with junk food ads. That would make things even more challenging. Can you imagine all the kids who sit in front of the television just being bombarded by loads of unhealthy advertisements? No wonder things are in such a state.

I think of my childhood compared to my sons childhood. I feel so lucky to have grown up in the countryside where my siblings and I were outside sun up to sundown, outside of school hours. Playing by ourselves in the forest and giant fields, using our imagination to no end. Computers and video games were something you did when it was raining or the weather was otherwise terrible. We had a giant garden and would eat straight from it during harvest time. No time to get fat, it wasn't even something we thought about.

Now I have to force my kid and I to get outside in these uninspiring concrete jungle cities and try to stay motivated. I'm hoping I can move my family back to the country eventually, good for the soul and the waistline.
edit on 27-2-2018 by seeker11 because: edit for personal info

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I would say Millennials are less overweight than older generations.

Our food is less healthy, that's for sure. There's a big push for whole foods, veganism, Juicing, moving away from fast foods and processed foods. If that trend continues, the problem will solve itself.

The second part of this equation is working out, and I think that's trending as well.

This paragraph isn't very scientific but it deserves a further review.

Gallup data indicate that more than half (53%) of today's baby boomers (U.S. adults aged 39 to 57) perceive themselves to be either "very" or "somewhat" overweight. This percentage is significantly higher than it is for either the 18- to 39-year-old cohort (30%) or the 75+ year-old cohort (30%), although it is very similar to the percentage for the 58- to 74-year-old category (56%).

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
One question here:

If Millennials are mostly overweight, who the heck is wearing all these skinny jeans I keep finding in the stores?

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
One question here:

If Millennials are mostly overweight, who the heck is wearing all these skinny jeans I keep finding in the stores?

Despite the name, there are no BMI requirements for purchasing and wearing “skinny jeans”. Or yoga pants...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join