It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

74 percent of millennials to be obese or overweight by 40

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

A staggering three-quarters of ‘Generation Y’ will be obese or overweight by the age of 40.

The figures are described as “horrifying,” and mean millennials are the most overweight generation since records began.

obesity is now a leading cause of cancer, second only to smoking ... excess weight is linked to 13 types of cancer
Source

I've been noticing myself this trend towards people gaining weight. Most of the people I knew just 10 years ago who used to be in normal shape are now either overweight or obese, especially the females. I know girls who have gained so much weight that they've become completely unrecognizable. The fact that 74% of millennials are expected to be either overweight or obese in a few years is downright disturbing.

Well, I'll be the one to stand up and say it's not ok. Let's be honest - it's not healthy. We know this, because obesity is second only to smoking in causing cancer.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Give up their smart phones for treadmills.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Can't lose weight living in your mom's basement.

I fall into the classification of millennial, but I'm not over weight, and everything else about me is opposite of my peers.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
There's about 750 people in my building and many are overweight and not trying. The young are overweight at a younger age because of lack of exercise and hanging with the crowd that watches 40 hours of TV or games a week. They will die off early because they are on so many drugs to keep them alive.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

It's insulin resistance. They'll all become diabetic and hypertensive soon. A ketogenic diet coupled with intermittent fasting is the most efficient way to reverse the problem, but it requires discipline...

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

A staggering three-quarters of ‘Generation Y’ will be obese or overweight by the age of 40.

The figures are described as “horrifying,” and mean millennials are the most overweight generation since records began.

obesity is now a leading cause of cancer, second only to smoking ... excess weight is linked to 13 types of cancer
Source

I've been noticing myself this trend towards people gaining weight. Most of the people I knew just 10 years ago who used to be in normal shape are now either overweight or obese, especially the females. I know girls who have gained so much weight that they've become completely unrecognizable. The fact that 74% of millennials are expected to be either overweight or obese in a few years is downright disturbing.

Well, I'll be the one to stand up and say it's not ok. Let's be honest - it's not healthy. We know this, because obesity is second only to smoking in causing cancer.

A function of being born and raised in a land of plenty. Also, kids / people are far less active.

A big issue is being sedentary. People working in office jobs, sitting a desk all day.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Not surprising. I was thinking the other day about packed school lunches and afternoon snacks that me and my generation ate..

Sugar cereal for breakfast, bleached White bread sandwich for lunch, washed down with Kool/soda / whatver..

Dunkaroos, fruit roll ups , lunchables... these days every corner is selling mutlicolored beverages that barely resemble water... it's crazy

Not to mention the notion that pointing out the health risks is now considered body shaming or ableist or whatver..

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I believe I fit your age group being 27 years old myself also pretty fit and successful in my life,certainly don't fit the stereotype myself. Just curious if you think it's this just UK kids or is every country doing similar?

Would be cool to see a American,Canadian,Chinese,Indian,Russian,Brazilian and German side by side comparison. Just curious.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Dude, you're just getting old.

Deal with it.

EDIT:

I am fat and from GEN X.

Come at me bro.
edit on 26-2-2018 by JosephKnecht because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

I grew up in 70s / 80s. We were extremely active. Pretty much outside all day running, jumping, biking, etc. I rarely see kids out playing to the same degree now. Granted, we still had some fat kids though. Although, thinking back on it, most of my friends that were overweight where "athletic fat" in that they could still run pretty fast, strong as an ox, etc. Kind of like how linemen in football are actually in pretty good shape.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
I believe I fit your age group being 27 years old myself also pretty fit and successful in my life,certainly don't fit the stereotype myself. Just curious if you think it's this just UK kids or is every country doing similar?

Would be cool to see a American,Canadian,Chinese,Indian,Russian,Brazilian and German side by side comparison. Just curious.

I am American.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I would say the food chain has been compromised, that's #1, but worse, is what they put into food leaving the consumer craving for more. Unknown additives should be banned and illlegalized for health reasons.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
You mean people gain weight as they get older? SAY IT AIN'T SO RT! Thanks for this eye opening perspective totally NOT designed to ferment negative generational biases.

Obsity by age groups

PS: My post was sarcasm if you couldn't tell. Also, anyone who believes RT's article is gullible and needs to learn how to deny ignorance.
edit on 26-2-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I feel like its pretty often overlooked that we consume an alarming amount of sugar.

A 12 ounce can of coke has twice your maximum recommended daily sugar intake in it. Cherry coke has more.

It's near impossible to get only your maximum sugar intake in this country- and back before the low fat rush of the 70's, it didn't used to be that way.
They took the fat out of food and replaced it with sugar. Now it seems they're putting the fat back in, but leaving the sugar.

It's in everything. They even ferment and distill the stuff and dilute your gasoline with it. It's in your bread.
Try finding sausage or meat products without added sugar.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: SteamyJeans
Not surprising. I was thinking the other day about packed school lunches and afternoon snacks that me and my generation ate..

Sugar cereal for breakfast, bleached White bread sandwich for lunch, washed down with Kool/soda / whatver..

Dunkaroos, fruit roll ups , lunchables... these days every corner is selling mutlicolored beverages that barely resemble water... it's crazy

Not to mention the notion that pointing out the health risks is now considered body shaming or ableist or whatver..

I did the same "Start" breakfast cereal plus couple of glasses of skimmed milk for breakfast, maybe some toast and butter, jumbo sausage rolls at morning break, 15-minute walk to and from home for lunch; carrot sticks, cucumber, sandwiches, crisps and a dough-nut for lunch plus Ribena cartons. Maybe the same after school. But the difference was that my high school was split into two buildings about a block away from each other. School days were split up into a mix of one, two and triple period classes. Between these times, we would have to walk for 10 minutes between these two buildings come rain, snow, sun or storm. Boiling hot in summer, freezing cold in winter

Those days, I would be super slim. Same when getting to work. If I could walk to/from work for 30 minutes each journey, I'd keep my waist down to 30" to 34". In those parts of the UK where there aren't regular buses and downtown is a 30-minute walk away, everyone is slim. But once everyone has to drive or take a bus to get anywhere, the weight goes on. Just by giving up on home delivery for my shopping and walking to and from the supermarket, I lost 25 kilograms.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

but it requires discipline...

Exactly

But they are not used to discipline, deprivation, loosing, or failing,

they live in a protected cocoon in case their feelings get hurt.

They have never felt the euphoria from achievement

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell. The young are overweight at a younger age because of lack of exercise and hanging with the crowd that watches 40 hours of TV or games a week. They will die off early because they are on so many drugs to keep them alive.
:

Wonder who they learned it from.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Well the fat acceptance movement isn't helping. I don't fat shame people but saying they're healthy at 5'1 350lbs isn't helping

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
I feel like its pretty often overlooked that we consume an alarming amount of sugar.

A 12 ounce can of coke has twice your maximum recommended daily sugar intake in it. Cherry coke has more.

It's near impossible to get only your maximum sugar intake in this country- and back before the low fat rush of the 70's, it didn't used to be that way.
They took the fat out of food and replaced it with sugar. Now it seems they're putting the fat back in, but leaving the sugar.

It's in everything. They even ferment and distill the stuff and dilute your gasoline with it. It's in your bread.
Try finding sausage or meat products without added sugar.

Very true. I remember shopping in the USA. Lucky's sold skimmed milk, but they added spoonfuls of sugar to each carton.

Sugar-free drinks have added artificial sweetners; Aspartame etc... those are bad. Even "natural" drinks like apple juice have been prepared in an environment with soya and sulphite. The hazards of mineral water is that the calcium and magnesium will help cause atherosclerosis. Other drinks contain caffeine which causes enlargement of the heart, not forgetting fructose corn syrup which is what really helps pile on the fat. Some brands of sausage roll are actually 50% fat.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

They'll come around. Maybe they'll come across a Jordan Peterson video, or they'll just die of heart attacks, strokes, diabetic coma, etc. Nature has a way of thinking out the non-adaptive.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join