It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billions of Viruses Are Showering the Planet’s Surface in Every Moment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Here is something that I have never considered yet it makes total sense when you think about it.

When I first saw the title I thought extraterrestrial life found etc etc but no (shucks)... The Viruses hitch rides on air currents and travel all over the world.. Which makes one wonder "IF" some horrible virus is found in some far off land there is no guarantee/promise it will not show up in your back yard at some future date ..Hummmm... Anyway I found this article interesting and maybe a few at ATS will too ?

You can’t see it but, this very moment, millions of viruses are falling on the ground around you. Some might originate from thousands of miles away, riding air currents and piggy-backing dust particles, a new study found.

I read or was told long long ago that a table spoon of sea water had millions (maybe billions) of viruses ... Considering all the time I have been around and in the ocean they much be nice viruses..... but we also now know there is some seriously bad bugs that reside there to.

Among the samples of microbes attached to airborne dust and water vapor, the researchers found a copious amount of viruses and bacteria. Viruses far outnumbered the bacteria, however, by as much as 461 to one.

“Every day, more than 800 million viruses are deposited per square meter (11 square feet) above the planetary boundary layer,” explained University of British Columbia virologist Curtis Suttle, a senior author of the research published in the International Society for Microbial Ecology Journal.

The planetary boundary layer is supposedly around 9,840 feet (3,000 m) MSL where the samples were taken.
www.theepochtimes.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   
And maybe some of them are re-charging our immune systems.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Ok that's a little scary. I mistakenly thought that sea water, being salty didn't harbour much by way of virus's etc
Time to dig out the face mask!

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

War of the worlds 1953, now you know the real reason aliens don't come knock on my door
too many bugs.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Well they banned atmospheric nuclear testing due to a worldwide rise of bone cancer (thanks strontium-90)

I just hope a virus panspermic virus from an asteroid or comet doesn't mutate and continues to spread, you can't rub calamine oil on this...

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Spores, bacteria, virus, etc all float in the air you breathe them in in every breath. How you think algae grows in standing water no matter what no matter where?

In other fun news the average adult body contains 10-12 pounds of bacteria (which you'd pretty much die without).

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Spores, bacteria, virus, etc all float in the air you breathe them in in every breath. How you think algae grows in standing water no matter what no matter where?

In other fun news the average adult body contains 10-12 pounds of bacteria (which you'd pretty much die without).

90% of any human body isn't even human, on a cellular level.

DNA taken from different parts of your body, especially the brain, will indicate that you aren't the same person as yourself.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Some thoughts on this:

- as i understand it, ancient amerinds represent some of the oldest genetic haplogroups on earth, and were highly susceptible to old world disease. Im surprised that the upper atmosphere comingling (especially given the massive clouds of saharan sand blown across the atlantic, carrying various bovine excrement particles) didn't either harden the lineage, or wipe it out sooner. I wonder if Amerinds, hidden in their destroyed histories, didn't struggle with periodic plagues arising from airborne microbes arriving from the old world?
- it would explain how the 1912 flu epidemic started cropping up in far flung areas prior to wide spread air travel

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Some thoughts on this:

- as i understand it, ancient amerinds represent some of the oldest genetic haplogroups on earth, and were highly susceptible to old world disease. Im surprised that the upper atmosphere comingling (especially given the massive clouds of saharan sand blown across the atlantic, carrying various bovine excrement particles) didn't either harden the lineage, or wipe it out sooner. I wonder if Amerinds, hidden in their destroyed histories, didn't struggle with periodic plagues arising from airborne microbes arriving from the old world?
- it would explain how the 1912 flu epidemic started cropping up in far flung areas prior to wide spread air travel

At high altitudes, UV light is far stronger, so that would probably break down any DNA. Same with all that cosmic radiation.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
There was quite a forore in the UK a few years back concerning sand dust. It turns out that the majority of times when you find a film of dust on your car that has been deposited overnight it has come from the Sahara Desert.
Environmentalists were worried that harmful bacteria from North Africa could be transmitted in the dust. Don't know what conclusion they came to.

join