It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Making guns - printing or whatever - what's to stop people from doing this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   
so it is 100% possible to print the lower receiver of an AR-15, the part which requires a background check to purchase. The rest of the parts can be freely purchased by anyone online and even people under 18 in many cases. People claim that they aren't "as strong" when printed, but I can guarantee that they are strong enough to shoot 1000+ rounds before something breaks and there are also some special filament plastics that can be made (with an extrude setup) with a recipe that uses a mix of plastics and some other ingredients, that makes it about 3x stronger than normal printed lower receivers.

Another option is to buy an airsoft gun that can be taken apart and use the lower receiver from this. They are weaker but it has been shown many times that they will work as a real gun but they eventually break or melt with lots of firing.

Buying an 80% lower receiver which is a lower receiver that hasn't been completely drilled out, is legal to purchase for anyone and with a little work can be made into a 100% functional lower receiver and then a fully functional firearm. This can be done with a standard had drill (though difficult) or a drill press (much easier) and I've seen video's of 12 - 13yr olds doing this on YouTube, so yes, this is a viable way to get a gun.

Then you have CNC options where you get a blank piece of aluminum and it basically cuts out the lower receiver in 10 - 60 mins (depending upon machine). These are available at schools (high schools, universities, colleges, hacker spaces, machine shops and in homes) and can be made from kits or purchased in whole. Renting one for a day would be less than buying a lower receiver and you could cut out 30-100 lower receivers in 24 hours easily.

Next there is the newer technology or printing with metal. There are a number of technologies but these could be printed with metal and if done properly can be stronger than any plastic (even the best plastics) and extremely durable.

So, if people really want to get a gun that they are banned from getting, I would think they would be resourceful enough to go a route such as this if they couldn't find someone to sell them one, which I would bet is much easier than doing any of the above unless you already have the hardware to do this.

Banning guns is a ridiculous idea and has only come up to the level it has because it is an election year and we need to see it for what it is. The politicization of the tragedy of our youth to further political agenda's and political careers. We need to keep track of the people who are the most vocal on this after this incident and remember them for what they are.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   
There are 100 percent legal ways to build your own AR 15 without any background check. (If you are already legally entitled to own guns, IE; no felony convictions etc.)
ATF is prohibited by law from keeping a national register of firearms, so when a gun pops up at a crime scene, it is this process of checking through private corporate records that traces the gun to potential suspects.

Here's the setup I'm getting very soon.

Unless you make your own by buying an unfinished lower receiver and finish it yourself, then there won't be any serial numbers, which is TOTALLY legal. And no background check required. People have already been doing this for some time..

edit on 26-2-2018 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=23182212]DigginFoTroof[/post Building a AR is easier than changing your cars oil, even when something is illegal people who want it will have it, period, What are they going to ban when someone drives a car full of propane tanks into a crowd of kids and kills 200 or so?Fix our mental illness epidemic instead of wasting money trying to get rid of something that’s always gonna be there

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Nothing can stop people from manufacturing their own weapons. Has it ever?

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Ban Gunpowder

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Well it seems that there are a fair amount of people who are aware of this and even the president mentioned people printing guns. I remember when some airsoft guns were imported that had identical lowers to real AR's and there was outrage but it quickly disappeared from the news and I think the sales continued as I never heard they were changing the design or removing them from the market. They only thing was that they wouldn't last as long as a real metal lower but that doesn't matter in a case like FL where it is only needed for 5 mins.

Since there is fair amount of knowledge on this, why is the news media silent on this and how do they think it is going to effect people wanting to use AR's for crimes such as this. A ban will do nothing except punish law abiding citizens.

Since the media is silent on this, it is my view that they are complicit in political activism and they should have their media credentials revoked if that is in some way possible. i'm not sure how the laws stipulate the difference between a news/media outlet (journalists) and propagandists, but I would suspect they are handled differently as they are completely different animals though they may look the same.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I remember when that guy who created a print out of a gun went viral. Everyone who caught wind of it in the media downloaded those plans online.

My point is, if the Government ruling bodies overseeing us didn't want us to have weapons, we wouldn't have them, and we wouldn't have access to printing devices to make them in our own homes along with printed bullets.

Why are they allowing it while telling us it's bad to own guns at the same time? That's a question I can't answer.
edit on 26-2-2018 by brokenghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 03:15 AM
link   
People who snap and go on a gun rampage are not going to be bothered printing out their own gun for the deed.

WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT TO GRASP?

third amazingly inane thread so far...

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf
People who snap and go on a gun rampage are not going to be bothered printing out their own gun for the deed.

Would they buy one?
One that someone else made?
Since it would be illegal, no background checks or mental health certicates required.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Would they buy one?
Since it would be illegal, no background checks or mental health certicates required.

Huh? My point was that someone who snaps is not going to spend days printing out a weapon, or parts thereof, and then build the means to use it en masse.

All the people who love their guns, will probably do so, but we're talking, I thought, about gun violence. Which is often perpetrated by people who've just purchased a weapon with ease, to enact their deeds.

Put it this way, if you had to spend weeks building your custom made Ferrari, you're not going to do so just to drive it into a crowd because you're suddenly angry.

You'll use the car you can rent from cars'r'us ...

edit on 26-2-2018 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Would they buy one?

Huh? My point was that someone who snaps is not going to spend days printing out a weapon, or parts thereof, and then build the means to use it en masse.

All the people who love their guns, will probably do so, but we're talking, I thought, about gun violence. Which is often perpetrated by people who've just purchased a weapon with ease, to enact their deeds.

Put it this way, if you had to spend weeks building your custom made Ferrari, you're not going to do so just to drive it into a crowd because you're suddenly angry.

You'll use the car you can rent from cars'r'us ...

Huh?
And you missed my point.
They wouldn't have to make one.
They would buy it on the black market.

Do the tons of junkies out there grow poppies and make their own heroin?

No. The buy the completely illegal product after it is smuggled in from overseas.

And they buy it with ease.

edit on b000000282018-02-26T07:48:56-06:0007America/ChicagoMon, 26 Feb 2018 07:48:56 -0600700000018 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

What if they don't 'snap'? What if they are a methodical individual who carefully plans out their massacre?

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   
So a $10k 3D printer will give me a gun?

edit on 2 26 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
3D printing seems like it is something that can be gotten around but at the same time I think it is important to understand how it works and how it is being manufactured within the industry. In reality, if someone wants to hurt another person, they will find a way to do it. The question is whether allowing the 3D printing makes firearms more accessible or not. I included a link to give us a little more insight into 3D printing in the industry so we can try to understand it a little better.

www.pewpewtactical.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   
No one wanting to kill a lot of people is going to spend 10k dollars getting a 3D printer.

They are going to there local stores and buy the products to make a bomb.

In most cases your local Walmart superstore will have all the chemicals needed to make high explosives.

I spent many years working as a blaster and laugh at how easy it is to make home made explosives.

new topics

top topics

join