It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LA Has Criminalized Poverty By Making It Illegal To Sleep In Cars And RVs

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I saw a trailer for a program (but I can't find it now) that said it is written into the constitution that it is illegal to persecute or prosecute people because they are poor????
I saw a YT video the other day that will open up your eyes, please search it out and see it. It is a speech by Jeff Daniels out of "The Newsroom". It's titled "America is not the greatest country anymore"

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

Isn't it against ATS policies to put blatant lies in the title of a post?

The article, if you took the time to read it, states very clearly that it prohibits sleeping in vehicles between 9pm and 6am, on RESIDENTIAL streets and within 500 feet of schools, day cares, and parks.

That is a world of difference from criminalizing poverty.

ATS mods, do your jobs. You shut down posts that don't even violate the terms, then you let crap like this go?

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: dalepmay

The article, if you took the time to read it, states very clearly that it prohibits sleeping in vehicles between 9pm and 6am, on RESIDENTIAL streets and within 500 feet of schools, day cares, and parks.

ATS mods, do your jobs. You shut down posts that don't even violate the terms, then you let crap like this go?

You mentioned you read it.
Correct?

Then how did you miss the title of the article?????

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Such is another frightening institution. No other country in the world has as many prisoners; mostly non-white and immigrants.

Amazingly, even Holywood is pandering to the ever-widening disparity in this country. We all talk and remark about our differences; otherwise we wouldn't need Congress and they know it. They are there to continually fight and payola for themselves.

Will John Lennon's brilliant "Imagine" ever happen? I know it's just an ideology, not realistic, but really, people?

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
A couple of friends of mine were having a discussion the other day and for a moment I thought they were talking about raccoons. "Do you have many problems with them here in the Valley? Oh, they mostly stick the wooded areas in parks and down by the river. They're not too bad unless they get aggressive, then you need to be careful because they can be unpredictable. Sometimes they dig in the trash, but they're mostly harmless."

On one hand, you want to think of a way to give these people a safe place to live and survive. On the other, you have people who might not be in quite as bad shape who also need help. There are plenty of homeless who are that way because of some unforeseen circumstance like an illness, but there are a good percentage who are mentally unstable and are homeless because they're terrible people who have burned through all of their friends and family. So you don't want to reward these people and screw over the others who are in rough shape but at least playing by the rules.

And now I heard that there's a fairly bad hepatitis outbreak in Hollywood, so not only is there a fairly large number of homeless people, but aggressive, mentally unstable homeless people who have hepatitis. Like raccoons with rabies.

I'm glad I'm not in charge.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
Will John Lennon's brilliant "Imagine" ever happen?

"Wasn't it a millionaire who said 'imagine no possessions?'" -- Elvis Costello

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Funny see a whole lot more questionable posts, especially political in leaning, that no one bats an eyelash about around here.

It's not a whole world of difference when you consider not being able to sleep in your vehicle during the night, when mot jobs offered(for the working homeless, to even people who access shelter amenities in the day) are in the daytime, you need to sleep at night.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Shouldn't that be between 9am and 6pm when it's the busy time of day?? Why overnight?

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Homeless people are disgusting. The government, (especially in a liberal safe haven like California) goes out of their way to provide them with shelter counseling and whatever they need to get back on their feet the only condition being they have to submit to drug tests. These people would literally rather die in the street than to give up drugs. Plus they stink and are thieves. Don't feel bad for them they choose to rot.
edit on 27-2-2018 by snarfbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: snarfbot
Homeless people are disgusting. The government, (especially in a liberal safe haven like California) goes out of their way to provide them with shelter counseling and whatever they need to get back on their feet the only condition being they have to submit to drug tests. These people would literally rather die in the street than to give up drugs. Plus they stink and are thieves. Don't feel bad for them they choose to rot.

Okay, but what should we DO about them? Just let them run rampant like wild animals?

I had a crazy idea a while back about offering them free food, clothing, shelter, medical care, counseling and all the drugs they want up to and including amounts that would kill them if that's what they wanted, as long as they volunteered to be transported to an old military camp or some other guarded facility away from everybody else. They could stay as long as they wanted, as high as they wanted, and if they wanted to leave, all they would have to do is test negative on a drug test three times. If a person can do that in a place where drugs are free, that would be a good indication that they're ready to return to society. There might be a problem with people smuggling drugs OUT of this particular kind of facility to sell, but any hardcore users could just go there themselves and save the cost and danger of getting their drugs on the street. The market would eventually dry up.

I haven't done a cost / benefit analysis, but it's bound to be cheaper to "concentrate" these people in "camps" rather than have police deal with the crime and health dangers of the current system. It would not be rewarding these people, since they do give up their liberty, but it could be a reasonable trade-off for them.
edit on 27-2-2018 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2  3   >>

join