It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LA Has Criminalized Poverty By Making It Illegal To Sleep In Cars And RVs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Downtown LA

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

That is insane, so many homeless in tents in the street, holy hell, and they are the visible ones, how many are in hiding?

I cringe seeing this kind of thing, I expect to see it in Africa or some other 3rd world place but not in downtown LA.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   

As an LA resident, in order to live in LA, you have to either live with your parents, roommates, or have a high paying job. Leaving your house at the age of 18 and renting your own place is not an option unless you have money.

Also, many working class neighborhoods are becoming gentrified (which means it became too expensive for working class people to live in) which led to the homeless issue in LA and the rest of California.

Trades is not an option in this state. Trades jobs are hard to come by and even if you get one, it's not enough to support you.

LA and the rest of California has become a place where only the Elite can thrive.
edit on 2/25/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

The joke is you can move on to a piece of land and build a mud brick mansion which will outlast modern materials for a fraction of the cost of what's in the real estate brochures. Add a composting toilet and grey water and your garden will flourish. It's just the mindset that needs changing.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

That being the case it's inevitable there will be backlash, it's only a matter of time.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

The joke is you can move on to a piece of land and build a mud brick mansion which will outlast modern materials for a fraction of the cost of what's in the real estate brochures. Add a composting toilet and grey water and your garden will flourish. It's just the mindset that needs changing.

Sadly it's not that simple, where I live for instance council implement regulations which make that illegal, if not illegal they raise costs so as to make it cost prohibitive.

People are fined if their grey water does not going either the sewer line or a septic system as an example.

In principle though I certainly agree with you.

I'm going to build a shouse, (shed house) for about 1/3 cost of a traditional house, it will require little to no maintenance, and get past fire regulations as well as not having to worry about termites. For about 100k I can have a fully council compliant 3 bedroom house fully insulated, all services hooked up and furnished.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

a reply to: anonentity

There is a reason why the Feds fear the survivalists especially those in the North West.......
edit on 2/25/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

In that first video they estimate that some homeless folk cost the tax payer somewhere between 90000 to 150000 dollars a year!

Assuming that is correct it would be far cheaper to house and feed the homeless instead of leaving them on the street.

The reality is people who denigrate the poor and chastise them and say they are worthless and don't deserve help are in fact paying twice as much to care for them than they would if they could find a little empathy.

Wow. Is that less or more than it costs California per prison inmate, per year?

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I remember when I was working in downtown low angeles 2 years ago I'd often come across someone homeless sitting on the sidewalk with a sign, their belongings and their dog begging for a job or help. they'd look familiar and then it would hit me. I saw them just a few weeks earlier riding the elevator in the tower I worked in wearing formal clothes and going to their job.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

I think what partly contributed to the homeless problem was the rise of neoliberal policies. I read somewhere that part of the reason why in LA riots happened was because due to neoliberalism closing down manufacturing areas in LA and moving them overseas.

In fact Citadel (Its a local mall for those of you who never been to LA) used to be a tire factory.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

sure was a tire factory now it's a gentrified mall I think.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

In that first video they estimate that some homeless folk cost the tax payer somewhere between 90000 to 150000 dollars a year!

Assuming that is correct it would be far cheaper to house and feed the homeless instead of leaving them on the street.

The reality is people who denigrate the poor and chastise them and say they are worthless and don't deserve help are in fact paying twice as much to care for them than they would if they could find a little empathy.

Wow. Is that less or more than it costs California per prison inmate, per year?

Not sure, to Hazard a guess I would say more.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   

That's because they are independent and don't need the state. They want you to need them , so you can be controlled. Taking freedoms bit by bit, and getting people to live in smaller and smaller places, in urbanized places is a Globalist agenda. Its easier to keep an eye on lots of people in a small area. Indebted slaves don't need much. By the time you have paid off your student debt, it will be time to die.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Funny you say that, my cousin was complaining the other day in the U. K they keep raising the age till you get the old age pension, like they are hoping you die before you get it....

Work till you die,.... slave....

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Interesting, and sad, that all these posts are concerned about what the government is doing about the homeless situation.

Several of you have been homeless and know of the despair; most of us haven't. I can only imagine but I don't want to and apparently neither do most regular citizens so that leaves it as a political/government cleanup project.

This sounds like, again, we are closing our eyes to a growing and desperate situation. Communities are throwing the bums out rather helping to provide solutions. Vouchers are temporary solutions at best.

Obviously, as some have pointed out, gentrification of lower priced housing and loss of American jobs is the problem. I don't see any huge societal movements like Save the Homeless being broadcast on CNN or FOX or you name it. Sure, there are a few churches offering parking lots but this will not solve the bigger societal problem. The rich are getting richer and meaner and the poor can just die.

We are now building generations of institutionalized homelessness due to a huge change in the American way of life where there used to be opportunity for all. The farms have been bought by corporations and fewer and fewer can afford to eat much less be a homeowner. But let's talk about the race wars and the Korean situation because building up those issues can agitate people and make them line the pockets of politicians and defense manufacturers.

All those past avenues to the American way of life have been shipped across the seas to cheap labor; keeping those poor still poor but worked to death.

The homelessness appears to be result of the lack of appreciation of Americanism and concern for all our own people.
Because we are a republic democratic free country, we don't dictate how people should live but this is a double edged sword that has taken over the top and now we are beginning a scary and serious decline into the have and have-nots-each person is on their own unless you can grab the government scraps you have no chance to capture that old-fashioned way of life again.

Be scared-be very scared.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Homelessness is fast becoming a worldwide epidemic, it's sickening to see these images in the Vid like you posted above, we really need to change this paradigm .

People have caused this themselves really... paying over the top for property which keeps rising way above wages so people end up out of a house and out on the street. Who benefits? The banks and loanees as they can repossess the property and then re-sell it to another who could end up the same way as the first person therefore repeating a never ending cycle.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
California........I would love to be standing on the east side of that big old fault line they have when the BIG SHAKE hit's. I would be hard pressed not to stomp on the fingers of the liberals that are trying to save themselves. Fish gotta eat too. I wish they would stop calling it homeless.......It's houseless. George Carlin had the answer.....golf course's.....a monumental waste of space. There was a time that WE HELPED the houseless, now we just push them to where we want them, it seems they can exist as long as mainstream society just don't have to look at them. I'm in a small city in central N.C. and we push them out here, we even make them PAY for a PANHANDLERS PERMIT. Sad how far we have fallen as a nation when it comes to this topic.
edit on 26-2-2018 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-2-2018 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

It's not my OP bud but no biggie.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Funny you say that, my cousin was complaining the other day in the U. K they keep raising the age till you get the old age pension, like they are hoping you die before you get it....

Work till you die,.... slave....

That's exactly what they're hoping. Pension schemes are unsustainable. It doesn't matter if you're talking about America or Europe. The collapse of the pension system won't be a single, dramatic event. It will be a process, with benefits being slowly reduced, and retirement ages inching up. By the time pensions are finally cancelled outright, it won't be much money, and only the very old will get it.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Well it does mean more prisoners for the prison industrial complex. It wouldn't surprise me if it's all done on purpose to help benefit various groups including the prison industry.

edit on 2/26/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join