It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three new ship designs for US Navy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The program is called DD-X and used to be called . The program is running to design a new destroyer, cruiser, and a smaal vessel for littoral combat. These new ships will be big improvements over the ships they are replacing. There new weapons will include a advanced gun which will be 155mm and be able to shot guided shells 100nm. Also the large ships will have missle tubes around the ship to lanch upgraded versions of the missles used today. Some of there design features include dual band radar, integrated composite deckhouse and apetures, integrated undersea warfare, intrgrated power system, and total ship computing enviroment. The DD-21 program was created to produce a 16,000 ton destroyer. That program was intigrated into the the DD-X program and now instead of having a 16,000 ton destroyer they will design a 12,000 ton destroyer. As you can see the ships are going to be stealthy. Some of the pictures below are from the DD-21 program but the ships from the DD-21 program will look the same as the ones from the DD-X except that the battleship from the DD-X program will be a little smaller.

I want to you know what people think about these new ships and if they think these ships will be potent performers in the future.

[Edited on 2-7-2003 by jetsetter]

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I'll post more later on but looks to me that Ericsson's Monitor Ironclad design wasn't to far off in light of what I am seeing.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I never thought of that.

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I wonder if they will use the old WWII paint job which helped hide the boats from the air and water which was mainly why the paint scheme was made, since it looks like they are trying to make them 'stealth'.

[Edited on 2-7-2003 by Sarcasimo]

posted on Jul, 6 2003 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Dont think so. These days that kind of paint job will not really help you.

posted on Jul, 6 2003 @ 12:39 AM
link   
The second picture looks like something straight out of a video game.

posted on Jul, 6 2003 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Yep, stealth boats is the future of the navy

I think they look horrible, and since ships are so big and slow, i think it's pretty useless.
Found some info about stealth boats a few years ago, they are in my website, on the steakth technology page.

DD 21 Zumwalt class multimission destroyers will enter service in about 2010 to replace Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates and Spruance class destroyers. Unlike previous classes of destroyer, the DD 21's primary mission is in providing land attack support for ground forces. Therefore high degree of signature reduction is very important to improve survivability for this class. Reducing its visual, radar, infrared, acoustic and magnetic signatures are the most important design goal. The ship is also to carry out traditional destroyer missions of anti-air, anti-surface and anti-submarine warfare.

www.air-attack.com...

This is the swedish Visby:

posted on Jul, 6 2003 @ 09:58 AM
link   
They wont be slow, they should be as fast as the ships today.

posted on Jul, 6 2003 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Stealth ships may look a little..odd...but wouldn't it be better if the technology can save more lives? Prevent more attacks against it? That's how I look at it, war isn't meant to be a beatiful thing.

[Edited on 7-7-2003 by Midnight Mutilator]

new topics

top topics

join