It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The history of the second amendment in American culture.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Can you name me any point in history of the entire planet where there hasn't been violence?

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: BlueAjah

But there was more WAY more violence..

Think “gangs of New York” or the Wild West or slavery, lynchings, raping your wife was legal, child abuse was legal..

By every measure (besides divorce rates maybe) we have improved in every way.

I disagree. Totally.
But going into detailed explanations would be off topic for this thread.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

a reply to: Wardaddy454

What?!?!

You mean handing control of the internet over to big buisness...

I actually agree about the tax cuts.. the left should focus on expanding and protecting services, not taxing the rich..

However, I think it’s fair to point out the average joe got a 1% tax cut while trumps bracket for a 40% tax cut..

If you think that’s helping the average American , BWAHAHAHA

I guess you agree with ol Nancy about crumbs?
It rewards moving up in the world. McDonalds shouldn't be a career path at every position in the franchise store.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Think “gangs of New York” or the Wild West or slavery, lynchings, raping your wife was legal, child abuse was legal..

Nah, we've lost some things along the way. See divorce rates.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: introvert

The NRA is still pro-gun safety and pro-responsible gun ownership.

Which firearm organization isn't?

The NRA, for the most part, is a political organization that uses it collective power and resources to support a specific political ideology and force it's propaganda machine against those against those they disagree with politically.

Our 2nd amendment right, as well as gun safety/responsible gun ownership, exists well beyond any political party or ideology and it's sad that so many have been brainwashed to think that my support for the 2nd amendment, or anyone else that disagrees with a Right Wing ideology, is in question because I/they do not adhere to their brand of political groupthink.
edit on 25-2-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

At least someone is standing up for our rights.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

At least someone is standing up for our rights.

True. Most 2nd amendment supporters I have come across not only know very little about their right, but are also too lazy to stand up for themselves. They rely on others to do so.

A membership fee is much easier than writing a letter to a congressman or walking down to capitol hill yourself.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

The second refers to the RIGHTS,

Of the states to have militias.

The right of the people.

As both being necessary to the security of a FREE state.

Shall not be infringed.

Throw in the 9th,and 10th, and 14 th on top of them.

Regulation gets the smackdown.

You forgot to highlight it for them.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Doing one does not negate doing another.

I have paid the NRA, and appreciate their strength in fighting for the constitutional rights of citizens. And I have also written to representatives, and even to the White House.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Can you name me any point in history of the entire planet where there hasn't been violence?

I can say with all certainty.

There never was a background check for swords, and bow and arrows or cross bows.

IE. The most bloodiest time in human history.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

There has never been a time in human history where man has not been violent.

The idealists think that removing guns will lead us into some sort of utopia and ignore all the times in human history where guns have been removed and genocides have occurred.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Your the one who said the violence has increased.. I never said anything like there was a time period with no violence..

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

We have records from the time..

We have all the violent crime rates in America over the last centry that have constantly fallen....

There are more of them because there are more people now.. per capita the rates are the lowest in history..

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Your the one who said the violence has increased.. I never said anything like there was a time period with no violence..

You said;

I was just responding.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Except they don’t use the second amendment to strike them down.. you think the heritage foundation just is deciding not to sue??

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

All it would take for every single gun law in the country to get appealed is for ANY JUDGE then the Supreme Court to rule it unconstitutional..

Thats not their job. They exist to break deadlocked issues that have gone back and forth between Houses of Legislature and The Executive branch without resolution.

Thats all they are supposed to do. Sadly , thats changed. Now they are a clearing house.

Or look the other way, depending. Think they are looking the other way when the uS wages aggressive wars in foreign lands without a declaration?

We have a Facade of a constitutional gubment.
edit on 26-2-2018 by intrptr because: bb cide

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

No they do not..

You think something is unconstitutional. You sue the federal government. A judge rules it unconstitutional.. the federal government either repeals the law or appeals the decision..

Then the Supreme Court rules one way or the other..

In 2008 the only Supreme Court decision in history siting the second amendment to overturn gun control.

It was decided the population has a right to have guns, but the states and federal government can decided what kind and how. Many..

There is zero federal court precedent siting the second before that.. outside of militia stuff..
edit on 26-2-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
December 1791?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

How anyone interprets these words to mean anything other than exactly what they say is odd to me.

It can't be any more simple or clear and yet people still try to change the meaning and interpretation to fit their agendas.

I know right? How can that be misconstrued?

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

You asked me when was the time with no violence?

I never said there was a time like that..

Here is proof the violent crime rate has trended down for decades.. and way longer than that considering slavery and sacking cities..

recorded since colonization. Crime rates have varied over time, with a sharp rise after 1963, reaching a broad peak between the 1970s and early 1990s. Since then, crime has declined significantly in the United States,[1] and current crime rates are approximately the same as those of the 1960s.[2]”
en.m.wikipedia.org...

There is my evidence.

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join