It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The history of the second amendment in American culture.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

No I mean by Supreme Court decision..

All it would take for every single gun law in the country to get appealed is for ANY JUDGE then the Supreme Court to rule it unconstitutional..

People sue constantly and for everything..

In 2008 (THE ONLY DECISION ON THE SUBJECT) the courts ruled the population had a right to have guns, but the states and federal government had a right to decide what kind and how many..

The reason it is that late of a decision is because previous to then it had ONLY been used concerning militia..

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I think anytime a person is educated on the 2nd, it's history and how the groups surrounding it have evolved, that person is better for it. Most firearm owners do not know the NRA was pro-gun control until it was taken over by political forces.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

The NRA is still pro-gun safety and pro-responsible gun ownership.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Most people don’t know much lol..

Nor does the second amendment being about militias mean the founding fathers were ok with disarmament..

They just make the leap straight from A TO Z...

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

But really they were a shooting club that handled marksmen records that shunned all politics previous to the 1985 coup.

The episode is great and actually has the guy who orcastrated the coup tell the story.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

Please provide one quote from an elected official saying they want to ban all the guns....

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Maybe that is because prior to then, the government was not challenging the right of citizens to own guns.

Back in the 50's most schools had gun training as part of their regular curriculum. Kids learned all about guns, gun safety, and shooting, right in school. Kids could walk down the street with a rifle over their shoulder to go to the local woods to hunt.

The environment changed. The NRA saw a need to change.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
On the subject of history:

In 1975, New York state had over 80 school districts with rifle teams. In 1984, that had dropped to 65. By 1999 there were just 26. The state’s annual riflery championship was shut down in 1986 for lack of demand. This, sadly, is a familiar story across the country.

Gun Clubs at School

Once upon a time, it was common for an American child to be packed off to school with a rifle on his back and for him to come home smiling and safe in the evening. Shooting clubs, now quietly withering away, were once such a mainstay of American high-school life that in the first half of the 20th century they were regularly installed in the basements of new educational buildings.

And, about the time you say the NRA changed:

Until 1989, there were only a few school shootings in which more than two victims were killed. This was despite widespread ownership of — and familiarity with — weapons and an absence of “gun-free zones.”

and...

Often a youngster’s 12th or 14th birthday present was a shiny new .22-caliber rifle, given to him by his father.” This was a right of passage, conventional and uncontroversial across the country.

Up until the ’70s, especially in rural areas, it was commonplace to see kids entering and leaving their school campuses with rifle bags slung lazily over their backs. Guns were left in school lockers, and rifles and shotguns were routinely seen in high-school parking lots, hanging in the rear windows of pickup trucks.

So... back when children were raised with guns, learning about them and unafraid, there were almost no school shootings. Now many kids are indoctrinated to hate and fear guns, and where are we now?

... lots more interesting history in that article

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: whywhynot

Please provide one quote from an elected official saying they want to ban all the guns....

Sorry Joshua but I’m not playing your game. You guys really need a better game plan because we are on to the old one.

Still can’t have my guns, now or ever. Get used to it.

4 pages and 4 stars, seems like no one is impressed.
edit on 25-2-2018 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

A great post!

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Having grown up in the tradition you just presented, I had a pang of nostalgia reading your last post there. The ol .22 lr, it started with that rifle for every man and woman on both sides of my family. Still an absolute joy to fire.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

In a perfect world , your right..

In the real world it had changed with the political winds on nearly every issue..

Which isn’t a bad thing..

They could have looked at the “all men are created equal” and continued to interpret that as ONLY MALES..

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

No matter what you post you will never get my rubber duckie...

That makes about as much sense because I want his guns as much as he wants my rubber duckie..

Y’all just make yourselves look silly..

It is like being insanely territorial over your fat ugly girlfriend..

Calm down.. no one wants her but you anyway..

edit on 25-2-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

What?!?!

You mean handing control of the internet over to big buisness...

I actually agree about the tax cuts.. the left should focus on expanding and protecting services, not taxing the rich..

However, I think it’s fair to point out the average joe got a 1% tax cut while trumps bracket for a 40% tax cut..

If you think that’s helping the average American , BWAHAHAHA

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Welcome to rightwing world..

Any history or facts that counter your propaganda are the enemy and must be destroyed..

It is retarded..

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Yup, still on the old game plan I see. Alternate between the big lie then name calling. Jezze

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: Logarock

In a perfect world , your right..

In the real world it had changed with the political winds on nearly every issue..

Which isn’t a bad thing..

They could have looked at the “all men are created equal” and continued to interpret that as ONLY MALES..

Of course some change is for the better. I am not saying that change is always bad.

But, perhaps you missed the part about how there were almost no school shootings back when children were raised with guns and taught about guns. So perhaps this time we changed things for the worse.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Then we should be able to have any weapon we want and a gun free zone would be unconstitutional..

Guess what??

We can’t and it isn’t..

“Shall not be infringed” means “shall not be limited at all”..

Does it look to you like gun ownership “cannot be infringed “??

Hello no.. it’s infringed all the time..

Registration would be infringement

Concealed carry would be infringement..

Automatic weapon bans would be infringement..

Hell, we don’t let militias keep those weapons and it is agreed that that clause is to protect against state on state/fed violence..

The second amendment has NEVER been what protected “gun rights”.. what the American people would and would not stand for , is what protects gun rights.

No need to make yourself look stupid by spouting nonesense..

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

But there was more WAY more violence..

Think “gangs of New York” or the Wild West or slavery, lynchings, raping your wife was legal, child abuse was legal..

By every measure (besides divorce rates maybe) we have improved in every way.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Having grown up in the tradition you just presented, I had a pang of nostalgia reading your last post there. The ol .22 lr, it started with that rifle for every man and woman on both sides of my family. Still an absolute joy to fire.

Quite remarkable how widespread that tradition was. I was 14 when I got a scoped .22 lr for my birthday, and those targets never stayed new for long.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join