It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

annihilation review meh

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
So I went and saw annihilation today. My overall thoughts were meh. It started out very slow, it turned into somewhat of a sci-fi mystery/drama with some action elements. The movie seemed to imply that only a group of women could save the world and men sucked. The movie left me with more questions than answers, with no real ah-ha moment at the end where everything makes sense.

I would say it’s a serious take on the movie Evolution but with a twist of interstellar and a sprinkle of the new ghostbusters (at least in cast dynamics) And overall I give it a rating of 6/10 and I think rotten tomatoes would have too , if it wasn’t for the all female cast.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I am really tired of this PC drivel.

I saw the trailer and was like...nope.

Thank you for the review.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter Thank you for your review. I was unsure if it was worth my money or not but now I will wait till I can watch it on my electric bill.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

So redbox it is.
Trailers can be so misleading.
This one looked interesting but now, meh.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I am sorry to say I will not be reviewing Black Panther.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

I read the book reviews for the entire trilogy, still can't understand how this was made into a big budget/hollywood movie. Even as the trilogy ends questions are still not answered, so there is no point at all, no conclusion means it is just drivel in the dust.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
I am sorry to say I will not be reviewing Black Panther.

I wish there could be someone out in the ether that could explain to me how the Marvel movies are even remotely good.
Yet they make billions for every single movie, I do not comprehend. I'm not a comic book guy, and have no dedicated presence in the humanity of superheroes, and they still feel so poorly created, and the scripts are lacking humanity and depth. There is literally nothing within the Marvel universe that relates to actual people living on this planet that we can fathom in our day to day lives. Plus, Black Panthers were a terrorist group of African Americans, and he is a hero, by the same name, not going to see that either. Would Disney put out a film called " Swastika Kings?" Same point.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: AllKnowing

you chose the wrong username in so many ways judging by that post.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Because you don’t know anything about the Marvel comics, I guess you don’t know that Black Panther came out as a comic book figure before the radical group in the 60’s. Granted, it was in the same year, but technically, the comic book Black Panther came out a few months before the Black Panther group was founded. They did try to change the hero’s name to Black Leopard, but it didn’t stick, so they went back.

The Black Panther movie actually had quite a bit more depth than most of the Marvel movies, in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   

At this point, they can take a dump in a box and write "Marvel" on it and it will still make a hundred million opening weekend.

Same with Star Wars. Disney has completely turned that franchise into a joke, but hey it's Star Wars so people will gobble up the crap and happily ask for seconds.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior

At this point, they can take a dump in a box and write "Marvel" on it and it will still make a hundred million opening weekend.

Same with Star Wars. Disney has completely turned that franchise into a joke, but hey it's Star Wars so people will gobble up the crap and happily ask for seconds.

Or maybe millions of people still really enjoy Star Wars and think it's as strong as ever, and it's only a tiny minority of whinging fanboys who don't like women as lead characters who moan about it all the time on the internet?

Star Wars Last Jedi was universally well reviewed. Black Panther was universally well reviewed.

Yet a small group of whinging sad MRA fanboys decided they couldn't possibly be good movies because WUMMINZ AND BLACKS!

As to OP and Annihilation, have you read the book? It does describe why a group of women scientists are sent. Because previous groups of male scientists, the men have for some mysterious reason all been driven insane faster.

And this is one of the core mysterious of the book, why this is.

It has nothing to do as one commenter above said about being 'PC drivel'.

Movies with women in aren't 'politically correct' you know. Women do make up 50% of the worlds population.

Did you moan about Aliens having women marines in it I wonder? Was Ripley 'PC Drivel'?

I just don't know what's up with this narrative that crops up about movies over the last 5 years or so. It baffles me.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Also, the book I thought was very 'meh' too. It does that thing JJ Abrams does, where it sets up lots of strange weird mysteries, and then refuses to answer any questions, in such a way that leaves you thinking at the end that there are no answers, just, a mystery with no solution.

And that's very meh storytelling to me. Sad to hear the movie follows the book in this regards by the sounds of it.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
read the books. way near the end of book three there's a two-paragraph section of plain language that explains everything.

everything else is pseudo-poetic drivel.

I read till the end just to find out what was going on. won't be rereading.
probly won't watch.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I am really tired of this PC drivel.

I saw the trailer and was like...nope.

Thank you for the review.

What's wrong with a female cast? Unless it's a forced female reboot like ghostbusters.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

you chose the wrong username in so many ways judging by that post.

I chose my user name by blindly scanning "Morning of the Magicians" and placing my finger on whatever random word it landed on or phrase. The word was All-Knowing, ATS does not allow hyphens, therefore AllKnowing. And still, the Marvel universe is for teenagers that do not understand good storytelling and likely have never read a book in the physical form. I have seriously tried to watch an entire Marvel movie, it is hard, like watching High School Musical or something of that sort with flashy CGI effects, that is not a story, that is a video game that plays to short attention spans. There is not one actual movie made by Marvel that has a good story, something memorable that can change the way the viewers view their world or their own life, not a single one, therefore, they are garbage made to sell merchandise and make as much money as possible through merchandise and overseas sales.

To make my point even more clear, I saw the preview to the new Marvel universe movie play before the last Star Wars movie, it had at least 20 heroes in it, so where is the story line? 20 main characters and supporting cast fight a villain? Who are they fighting? A literal God that cannot die? There is no point to these movies, if the hero never dies then it is obvious what the outcome will be by the end of the movie, and they also go through zero self growth through out the movies. Not one single character changes throughout their span in the movie, they are all basically the same person from beginning to end, that is not a story, that is a day in the life of a bad story arc. Is there one point in any single Marvel movie where the Hero is sad? Nope, they have no emotions, all of them, they are bland and carbon copies of one another. They each have morals of their own but no emotions at all (besides anger or pleasure). What hero has no emotions? Is Marvel saying that in order to be a hero you have to have zero emotion? Therefore not a person?

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I don't have to know jack # about Marvel comics to know a psyop. No different than Captain America, Superman, Iron Man, etc. All were created to build faith in the government and Black Panther was a way to give the Africans a voice, which they adopted as a terrorist cell within the society. They are propaganda for the military industrial war complex, divide and conquer. Pretty simple to see. Have you ever seen a WW2 movie where Hitler was right? Nope, because of propaganda. Have you ever seen a movie where Hiroshima was not justified? Nope, because of propaganda. What do you think comic book movies are? Oh ya, propaganda.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Or maybe millions of people still really enjoy Star Wars and think it's as strong as ever, and it's only a tiny minority of whinging fanboys who don't like women as lead characters who moan about it all the time on the internet?

I have no problems with Rey being the lead character, even though she can't act.

It was obvious they ripped off the episode 4 storyline, even ripped off the scenery from the first movie, and somehow made the story even more ridiculous with awkward, unrelatable characters, and even more awkward cheesy dialogue. And a Super Villian that looks and acts and talks like a Emo Soy Boy with daddy issues, I mean come on.

If you want to pay Disney for putting out a bunch of crap and calling it Star Wars then by all means, continue to do so. I apologize for triggering you. It is certainly not stopping the rest of the herd.

Star Wars Last Jedi was universally well reviewed. Black Panther was universally well reviewed.

Yeah, even mediocre movies nowadays get rave reviews by the "experts", which tells me reviews mean absolutely nothing. "Hey, this movie got good reviews, so it must be good". just does'nt apply anymore. They know people are herd animals and trust the internet to tell them what movies are good. I still do it the old fashioned way by actually going to see the damn movie.

Yet a small group of whinging sad MRA fanboys decided they couldn't possibly be good movies because WUMMINZ AND BLACKS!

Oh please, spare me the "Alt-right is coming to kill us all" that seems to make up every liberal argument on ATS these days. Even in a topic such as this.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I wish there could be someone out in the ether that could explain to me how the Marvel movies are even remotely good.

that is easy.

do you have any likes or dislikes?

I think you dislike Marvel movies, would that be a correct assumption?

If so, It would be safe to assume others have different tastes in movies and enjoy marvel movies.

Yet they make billions for every single movie

out of the 18 movies released they have hit 14 billion, so to average it out its less than a billion each movie not billions.

Plus, Black Panthers were a terrorist group of African Americans, and he is a hero, by the same name, not going to see that either. Would Disney put out a film called " Swastika Kings?" Same point.

why not find out when was the character created and when did the group come together and call themselves that.

I don't have to know jack # about Marvel comics to know a psyop.

and I'm out

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   

annihilation review meh

Sorry, amigo I didn't see your review. Are you IATSE Local 600.
edit on 1-3-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I dunno why ATS won’t let multiple reviews. a reply to: olaru12

top topics

join