It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how to be a definition of supersonic with cruise?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Many many of military fans in china who do consider the MiG-31 be able to make a supersonic cruise. I wrote a disquisition with about 10 thousands chinese words to prove only the Raptor has capability which could be called supersonic cruise, Foxhound do not. Now, are there someone in here could give me some evidences or materiels to support my standpoint? If you enter www.armysky.com... you will see my article at the third item with my name is Emile. Although you may can't understand chinese, but the rule of BBS should be same thing in all world, and I've joined with you yet, aren't me? ha ha ha ha my english grammar is so poor! Maybe only smart person can know.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Supercruise is the ability to go supersonic without using afterburner - although some people define it as the ability to sustain supersonic travel without use of afterburner.

ITs usefule for two reasons: it saves on fuel usage (afterburners are hugely fuel expensive) and it lessens Infrared emissions thus helping the stealth characteristics of the airplane.

Point of interest: the first aircraft to exceed Mach 1 in level flight without afterburners was the P.1 prototype of the English Electric Lightning on August 4, 1954.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
often aircraft needed A/Bs as a push to break the sound barrier.

Who knows.. the SR-71 could be able to do it.. don't know if it uses A/B or not

Do ramjets count?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
the SR-71's turbo/ramjets were designed with afterburners that could be maintained for hours at a time, it did NOT supercruise, it just had unique afterburners

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
This might aid you, emile?
what is supercruise?

According to the above source, there are only three aircraft with such an ability to supercruise:

Aircraft with supercruise include:

*F/A-22 Raptor (supercruise text file of first mission)
*Eurofighter Typhoon
*Concorde

seekerof

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I consider that the J-58 which was used in SR-71 is a kind of athodyd actually according to a introduction by Discovery Channel.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Point of interest: the first aircraft to exceed Mach 1 in level flight without afterburners was the P.1 prototype of the English Electric Lightning on August 4, 1954.

The point that you given is more interesting. If we are definite that supercruise just is a condition which include the aircraft is flying without using afterburner only, could we say Su-15 also has this capability called supercruise?

top topics

join