It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European newspaper publishes major UFO event in 1561

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 02:42 AM
link   
A fairly well known UFO event happened in 1561 in Nuremburg Germany. It was a mass sighting that lasted for over an hour, seen by the entire town. It was an aerial battle between various shaped UFO's. Some of them even crashed and burned to the ground. Afterwards, the city's newspaper published a piece on it. I bet an event like this developed more accepting views of UFO's by Germans.

This was a time before air planes, hot air balloons and drones. The aerial battle was followed by the appearance of a large black spear shaped object and then a large crash outside of the city. According to witnesses, there were hundreds of spheres, cylinders and other odd-shaped objects that moved erratically overhead.

Link

Wikipedia article

Here is an image of the actual broadsheet news article. It includes a wood-cut image of the event illustrated by Hans Glaser. It is archived in the prints and drawings collection at the Zentralbibliothek Zürich in Zurich, Switzerland.

Here is the English translation:

"In the morning of April 14, 1561, at daybreak, between 4 and 5 a.m., a dreadful apparition occurred on the sun, and then this was seen in Nuremberg in the city, before the gates and in the country – by many men and women. At first there appeared in the middle of the sun two blood-red semi-circular arcs, just like the moon in its last quarter. And in the sun, above and below and on both sides, the color was blood, there stood a round ball of partly dull, partly black ferrous color. Likewise there stood on both sides and as a torus about the sun such blood-red ones and other balls in large number, about three in a line and four in a square, also some alone. In between these globes there were visible a few blood-red crosses, between which there were blood-red strips, becoming thicker to the rear and in the front malleable like the rods of reed-grass, which were intermingled, among them two big rods, one on the right, the other to the left, and within the small and big rods there were three, also four and more globes. These all started to fight among themselves, so that the globes, which were first in the sun, flew out to the ones standing on both sides, thereafter, the globes standing outside the sun, in the small and large rods, flew into the sun. Besides the globes flew back and forth among themselves and fought vehemently with each other for over an hour. And when the conflict in and again out of the sun was most intense, they became fatigued to such an extent that they all, as said above, fell from the sun down upon the earth ‘as if they all burned’ and they then wasted away on the earth with immense smoke. After all this there was something like a black spear, very long and thick, sighted; the shaft pointed to the east, the point pointed west. Whatever such signs mean, God alone knows. Although we have seen, shortly one after another, many kinds of signs on the heaven, which are sent to us by the almighty God, to bring us to repentance, we still are, unfortunately, so ungrateful that we despise such high signs and miracles of God. Or we speak of them with ridicule and discard them to the wind, in order that God may send us a frightening punishment on account of our ungratefulness. After all, the God-fearing will by no means discard these signs, but will take it to heart as a warning of their merciful Father in heaven, will mend their lives and faithfully beg God, that He may avert His wrath, including the well-deserved punishment, on us, so that we may temporarily here and perpetually there, live as his children. For it, may God grant us his help, Amen. By Hanns Glaser, letter-painter of Nurnberg."

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

What a fascinating story a great find.
I wonder If Hans Glaser was saying "Pew pew pew!" while carving that amazing wooden picture?.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   

This is one that I've never really heard an explanation for...

Nor have I seen it posted here.

This ought to be, hopefully, very interesting...

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 02:55 AM
link   
An interesting take on this event is that it was a "ghost." I'm not sure where I read this, but I remembered it and rather liked it.

Sometimes battles are heard and seen years after they happened. Maybe this was such a thing, somehow etched into space-time and projected when unknown preconditions are right. Maybe it recorded an event from an ancient past.

That makes a little sense of a senseless occurrence. Where are the wrecks? Where are these fleets now? Time would erase the evidence, though.

Or it was a glimpse into another realm, perhaps.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Indeed a well documented case and one that for the most part would be hard to find a explanation for. There is also an account of a president to be? (Jefferson??) Who has stated he was on a boat going down a river with two others and he watched a UFO for sometime but then found they had actually come back to the start of the river at a totally diferent time.

That could be classed as the first abduction case. Sorry cant add more as im at work at the moment on a tiny android device...

RA

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 03:05 AM
link   
There was also a similar event that took place over Basel, Switzerland.

1566 celestial phenomenon over Basel

The 1566 celestial phenomenon over Basel was a series of mass sightings of celestial phenomena above Basel, Switzerland. The Basel pamphlet of 1566 describes unusual sunrises and sunsets. Celestial phenomena were said to have "fought" together in the form of numerous red and black balls in the sky before the rising sun.

we saw strange shapes in the sky above Basel.

we saw large black spheres coming and going with great speed

Translation:

"It happened in 1566 three times, on 27 and 28 of July, and on August 7, against the sunrise and sunset; we saw strange shapes in the sky above Basel.
During the year 1566, on the 27th of July, after the sun had shone warm on the clear, bright skies, and then around 9 pm, it suddenly took a different shape and color. First, the sun lost all its radiance and luster, and it was no bigger than the full moon, and finally it seemed to weep tears of blood and the air behind him went dark. And he was seen by all the people of the city and countryside. In much the same way also the moon, which has already been almost full and has shone through the night, assuming an almost blood-red color in the sky. The next day, Sunday, the sun rose at about six o'clock and slept with the same appearance it had when it was lying before. He lit the houses, streets and around as if everything was blood-red and fiery. At the dawn of August 7, we saw large black spheres coming and going with great speed and precipitation before the sun and chattered as if they led a fight. Many of them were fiery red and, soon crumbled and then extinguished."

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 03:31 AM
link   
oooooh, just subscribed to this thread so I can read it when I have time. It is 4:30 am here and I'm off to dream land.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I love this story and have been intrigued by it for years (yes, really !)
It makes me wonder if it could be due to Ergotism causing mass hysteria.

There still are isolated outbreaks today, but it was much, much more, prevalent in the Middle Ages.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Sigh... you can not see such writings as objective witness testimonies. Especially when there are no secondary sources supporting them.

You also have to consider the historical context. From my understanding such leaflets were more moral/religious appeals than reports of actual events. Descriptions of celestial omens as signs of coming dearth, war, apocalypse were quite popular.
edit on 24-2-2018 by moebius because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cassi3l
I love this story and have been intrigued by it for years (yes, really !)
It makes me wonder if it could be due to Ergotism causing mass hysteria.

There still are isolated outbreaks today, but it was much, much more, prevalent in the Middle Ages.

I was thinking the same thing. Ergotism has been known to cause mass hallucinations..

And one person looking at the sun, seeing strange 'orbs' and shapes as their retinas were burnt, telling others to look at the sun also, well..

Who knows, it is one of the untestable things of history we'll never know the truth of. But it's about time they came back, if they were indeed beings.. put an end to a lot of unnecessary conflict I think it would. one way or another.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   

I've said it here many times before and I will say it again. I saw a silver sphere back in the mid 2000's.

I 100% believe that this event happened. If I hadn't seen that sphere for myself I would probably dismiss this story as nonsense.

My only question is who or what are they?

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Funny, i showed this case to a buddy a few days ago.
Just to ask him which comics, movies or roswell stories affected the people back in the time, "to make up" such sci fi stories.

He had no answer...

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Could this event have marked the beginning of the 1st German Renaissance?

Edit: to add: The Norse Poetic Edda was transcribed in the 13th century.
The telescope optics were advancing but the public had still not been informed.
The storm on Jupiter that Donaldo Creti painted in 1711 was observed through a German telescope.
edit on 24-2-2018 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I saw this as a kid-no not in 1561 i'm not that old...yet... but in the first UFO book I bought in the early 90's.

Back in those days (not the 90's) sightings like this were considered the wrath of god or an omen. TLDR I knew the story anyway, but the obvious (but not proven) explanation methinks could be a meteor breaking up in the presence of a lunar eclipse, many folk didn't have much scientific knowledge or equipment back then, but I will say that these folk did see something even if they couldn't understand what they saw.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Thread here from 2011 covering the story www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Even the third Reich was not well understood at the beginning.
Van Gogh's Starry night was misunderstood by many, even with Nietzsche helping to explain.
The History books will likely consider the Hertzl evidence so I don't think we will forget again.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Weather balloon.

Case closed.

You're all welcome.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou
Weather balloon.

Case closed.

You're all welcome.

Nah, are you a majestic 12 disinfo agent?
It´s clearly swamp gas!

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

a reply to: Cassi3l

If indeed witness accounts, then they sound too descriptive. Like a large object shaped like a spear, complete w illustration. Or how about some orbs crashing to the ground and burning..

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

He did say they fought in the sky for over an hour. Maybe that would count out a meteor breaking up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join