It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Aviator"...so they say.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
So today, I was notified I have been awarded "Aviator" status, one of eight, in a company of 154,000 people. They say it's a good thing.

I've spent 35 years in this business, aviation. They say it's a good thing. They gave me raises and praises. I don't know...

I still just feel like me.

Next week I will go to a national meeting of the other few. I don't know, I'm just a cattleman at heart, a Wyoming boy. I just wish my Dad was alive to witness all of this. For once, he might have been proud of me. Sadly, he's not, and he'll never know....and I'm not even sure I care all that much anymore. Woo Hoo, I'm an "Aviator"...really, who cares?

I'm still just...Bob.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Congrats bud!

Wouldn't worry im sure your dad knows all about it

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

No, now your Bob the Aviator

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   
So, you must be getting close to retirement and they want you to stay longer. That is a good sign, they probably want to chase some people away.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I am. Just finished my 55th lap around the Sun. Not a business for old men, and I'm getting to be one.

Unfortunately, most of the people in the business don't want to deal with any of the younger crowd, they only want the "grey haired ones", or so they say.

Sadly, we're a dying breed. The younger generations just don't want to listen and learn. We always had ideas, but we listened and incorporated those ideas into changing environments. The new generations don't want to do that. They just want to change everything, without proof any of it will work, right now. It's all about money and time. It was always about money and time, but it was also about balance with safety, efficiency, process and reliability. None of that means anything anymore. And, frankly it scares me.

I see what things go on on the ramp now days. I see how the aircraft are prepped....and it's dangerous! Real dangerous! It's cheap, it's uneducated. I see ground crews who can't even work their own cell phones. I see recruits come in from the military, like the Navy, and they get so frustrated they quit in a week. They're used to marshaling aircraft on an aircraft carrier (proud, efficient, aggressive and responsible) and suddenly they're taking orders from some idiot who can't even speak English, and couldn't get out of the way of his own shadow...just because he's been there for 4 weeks, and they've only been there for two.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: rickymouse

I am. Just finished my 55th lap around the Sun. Not a business for old men, and I'm getting to be one.

Unfortunately, most of the people in the business don't want to deal with any of the younger crowd, they only want the "grey haired ones", or so they say.

Sadly, we're a dying breed. The younger generations just don't want to listen and learn. We always had ideas, but we listened and incorporated those ideas into changing environments. The new generations don't want to do that. They just want to change everything, without proof any of it will work, right now. It's all about money and time. It was always about money and time, but it was also about balance with safety, efficiency, process and reliability. None of that means anything anymore. And, frankly it scares me.

I see what things go on on the ramp now days. I see how the aircraft are prepped....and it's dangerous! Real dangerous! It's cheap, it's uneducated. I see ground crews who can't even work their own cell phones. I see recruits come in from the military, like the Navy, and they get so frustrated they quit in a week. They're used to marshaling aircraft on an aircraft carrier (proud, efficient, aggressive and responsible) and suddenly they're taking orders from some idiot who can't even speak English, and couldn't get out of the way of his own shadow...just because he's been there for 4 weeks, and they've only been there for two.

You noticed that too, it is getting bad over here, the new kids are going to school and learning to be idiots. They would be better trained by people in the jobs to learn the trade. They think their college diploma makes them smarter. Some people are smarter, but being smart means you never stop learning.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   
This and other recent posts makes me think you may be feeling a little burned out. Maybe it's time for you to take an extended leave for a little while. Try to rejuvenate a little before total burnout gets you. Am I wrong? If so, pardon me.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Do they get weirded out when life doesn't have a
like or
dislike, next button?

Congrats, you could live 55 more years don't get burnt out so soon.

Use your vaca time and travel...by boat

I like reading your posts.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Nah, I'm just old. You know, I'm not allowed to burn out. I'll just "fly over", anymore.

People can listen, or they can do what they do. The consequences will be theirs to own...and then they will understand.

And one day they will look back over their shoulder and ask, "Wait, what??", but we'll be gone.

I see it everywhere. They want to take the pilot out of the flight deck, the trucker out of the truck...the human out of everything. It's the new way. Technology. I was always there, it's what I did, but I always lived by one rule..."the machine should work for YOU, you shouldn't work for IT". Sadly, this newest generation has missed that subtle point. And, we all will pay, soon enough. Fortunately, I'm old enough now where it matters little, and what travel I do have to do is generally fairly well supported, professionally.

In the end...we will see.

We will all see, all of us. Every single last one of us. MH370 was just a forewarning. Trust me, I know. (I worked many years in Malaysia).

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
DP

edit on 2/23/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   

So... you fly?

Is that what they mean? These days, it is hard to tell whether well established terminology retains its original meaning, or whether some walking disease has decided that words which had a perfectly well defined meaning, have suddenly changed meaning overnight.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I was an industrial electrician/electronics technician when I was working but was laid off during the 2008 economic recession. Since I already had cervical, 2 cervical fusions, and lower back problems I decided to go ahead and file for disability soon after and considering that a democratic administration was in office, Oblamer, I got it after 5 months. But the truth is, at 58 years old, I was well on my way for a total burnout at that time. Turns out the 08 recession was the best thing that ever happened to me, and my late wife.

She was the manager of a small rural convenience store around 16 miles south of here when 2 men gained access early one morning and blew away the 2 girls that worked the morning shift with a shotgun. That is just one reason I am 100% 2nd amendment. After that incident she was deathly afraid to stay by herself even here at home.

It wasn't good for so many but it was for me. I always worked the night shift and had begun consuming a few beers, taking Xanax and hydrocodone on site after I had finished my nightly duties to try to unwind a little.

Anyway, glad for you I'm wrong and don't let life get the best of you.

Peace and tranquility to you,

CT

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Hey...

maybe you could help This guy... Claims "No One here has ever seen the curvature of the earth"

top topics

join