It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have discovered the world's largest underwater cave

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Hello ATS. What's now being called the world's largest cave system at 216 miles long, known as the Sac Aktun cave system is on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. It, apparently, has some exciting discoveries to behold. These discoveries include: an extinct Bear, ice-age Megafauna, and Mayan artifacts. These artifacts date back as far as 15,000 years; artifacts which also include a skull from 13000 years ago.

A remarkably intact, 13,000 year-old skeleton found in the cave in 2007 is one of the oldest examples of human remains in the Americas, and provided a crucial window into how America's earliest inhabitants lived, migrated, and died. The skeleton was recently the subject of a NOVA documentary.

The recently mapped Sac Aktun cave system on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula was recently discovered to be 216 miles long. It contains some of the oldest human remains ever found in the Americas, as well as countless other artifacts stretching back over 15,000 years.

"I think it's overwhelming. Without a doubt it's the most important underwater archaeological site in the world," Guillermo de Anda, an archaeologist at Mexico's National Anthropology and History Institute who is leading excavations in the cave told The Associated Press.

A few years ago you could've told me that everything's been found that could be discovered, but nowadays, it seems that new monumental discoveries such as this one are almost being made weekly. Maybe Ground Penetrating Radar is the reason for all of these discoveries...? I don't know but I know who does know.....so what says ATS?

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook I like this thread more than the one I made about this exact cave.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: lostbook I like this thread more than the one I made about this exact cave.

oopsies.....just think of it as the ultimate flattery.
edit on 23-2-2018 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook lol I do. I was in a huge rush when I made mine but wanted to get it out so give a change of pace for those tired of political threads. I really do like yours more though.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Great story. It makes me wonder about those legends about various civilisations hiding underground with the "ant people" from times gone by.

Were the "ant people" some tribe who lived underground, or a metaphor for large colonies of underground critters like termites and ants.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
OKAY NOW IM PARANOID.

I was telling my boyfriend about this video I watched on that cave system and he's watching it right now on the XBOX.........

Get out of my house.

Lol but seriously this fascinates me! I'll try to get the PC link

Edit to add: Seriously this is cracking me up, I came over here to my computer and went to ATS because I figured I'd had enough of that- APPARENTLY I HAVE NOT HAD ENOUGH!

-Alee
edit on 2/23/2018 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Lostbook just has a little more experience making threads. You did a good job on yours too.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Lostbook just has a little more experience making threads. You did a good job on yours too.

Thank you, Ricky! Yes, I've been around ATS for a little bit. Where's my t-shirt? lol

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   
There has to be a monster waiting to hit the silver screen lurking in there.

new topics

top topics

join