It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-15QA may give USAF upgrade path for F-15C

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Among the changes being made to the F-15 for the Qatar deal is a new wing that according to Boeing strengthens the structure without changing the aerodynamics. Should the USAF decide to perform a SLEP on their existing F-15Cs, this is one possible upgrade that can be performed to extend the life of the airframe.

The Air Force has been talking about keeping some F-15s in service past 2030. Each of those aircraft would require a $1M longeron replacement. If yeti choose to keep them longer they'll require a new wing.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

If they chose. But I'm getting the same vibe as with the A-10. They want it more or less gone to protect the F-35 and the B-21 as needed plus the notional 6th Gen

Any idea what the wing cost would be?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
This is really good news. IMO there is practically no more iconic a US fighter since the P-51, so I was really bummed to hear about the Eagle fleet retirement.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

cough*F-14*cough

Now I want to watch Top Gun for some reason.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
If the Air Force really wanted to do something about it they could have long since ask the Israelis how to affordably upgrade and refurbish old F-15s. The problem is they just want to buy new stuff instead of investing in the airframes they have.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Among the changes being made to the F-15 for the Qatar deal is a new wing that according to Boeing strengthens the structure without changing the aerodynamics. Should the USAF decide to perform a SLEP on their existing F-15Cs, this is one possible upgrade that can be performed to extend the life of the airframe.

The Air Force has been talking about keeping some F-15s in service past 2030. Each of those aircraft would require a $1M longeron replacement. If yeti choose to keep them longer they'll require a new wing.

www.flightglobal.com...

How do you feel about keeping some of them in service past 2030? I think it's a good idea, especially since we bought way fewer F-22s than originally planned. Sure the F-15 isn't a 5th gen fighter, but in some conflicts it will still be an effective platform for a long time to come.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Will this fix that problem that's been popping up in the last few years where the wings detach in mid-flight?!? That would be nice.

Anyhow, love the plane, though to be realistic it's not the cheapest fighter to fly as those things go in terms of operating cost per hour, right? Of course, we're just talking about keeping some older airframes flying for a few more years, so I suppose that's not too bad of an investment. What do you think?

I know the F-15 can do certain things that most other fighters can't, so I would imagine it would make sense to keep them around until we actually have enough of whatever else flying to fill those roles...

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Personally, I'd rather they had been replaced, even with new F-15 airframes before now, but hey that's just me. It's a good airframe, and if they're going to activate the quad racks, which it looks like they are, it's a great missile truck to keep around.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBadCabbie

The wings aren't detaching. There was one airframe that broke up during ACM but that was a longeron problem, not a wing related problem.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Was it just one? I thought there were three or four.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   

There was only one, but it resulted in over 100 aircraft being retired due to the related longeron issues. They found the original longerons were cut to the wrong thickness.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   

This could make most of those planes flyable again then, couldn't it?

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   

In theory, but the reason they were retired was because it wasn't cost effective to make all the repairs required and replace the longerons.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   

They found the original longerons were cut to the wrong thickness.

From factory or from corrosion removal putting the metal under thickness limits?

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

From manufacture.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Wow must have been a Friday job...

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger
Maybe the QA guy was asleep or on holidays? Clearly whoever made them cant say the words "Vernier scale".

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Any idea how well the air frames are holding up with age? It's mostly stainless steel construction, isn't it? Are any of them worth recommissioning, or not really? Are the ones we're still flying worth the expense they incur, or not really?

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   

The existing aircraft, at the least, will get new longerons if they're going to continue flying, which it now appears they will. They're also apparently getting FAST packs and quad rails as well.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 01:33 AM
link   

It's mostly stainless steel construction, isn't it?

Titanium wing spars and probably fuselage centre section..Rest is most likely cast /forged or CNC milled aluminium bulkheads with extrusion stringers.Skin panels are Honeycoam/aluminium sandwich like most gen 4 aircraft.
F15 factory shots

new topics

<<   2 >>

join