It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Live: Reinforces More Guns In Schools - How Do trump Supporters Feel?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: jimmyx

..I was trying to point out ONE SMALL attempt by Obama to keep crazy people from buying guns when 3 months later the republicans got their marching orders from the NRA and the republicans f'in repealed it...

What someone was doing was clearly ignoring the Gun Control Act of 1968 and Brady Handgun Prevention Act of 1993.

Because it was made illegal over a decade ago.

What Obama tried to do was give a government agency power it has no business having.

You really can't expect him to be informed. It's not fair, and possibly racist.

These people are part of the problem. They are staunchly opposed to knowing enough to suggest realistic and viable solutions. Just blame the NRA and gun owners.

You can't have a meaningful discussion with people like that, and they make up the majority of the gun control lobby. They're obstacles to progress.
edit on 23 2 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

These people are part of the problem.

Once upon a time it was books,

Now it's black scary looking objects that only the police and military should have.

edit on 23-2-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
I'd say a better option is bullet resistant doors and turning class rooms in to safe rooms.

I don't agree with this. People say things like this, and that we need to hire dozens of armed guards, buy metal detectors, make all schools single entry, protect kids on their way home etc etc.

I'm sorry to be the realist here, but

A. We cannot afford that - that is many 100's of billions of dollars, whereas Trump's plan costs a few million - volunteer teachers given a bonus - no new salary's just a bonus. No massive reconstruction of schools. Look, it is a cost benefit analysis as grim as it sounds we are talking about 100 kids or less killed each year due to school shootings.

As horrible as that is many thousands are being killed in gang violence, in drug overdoses, not having proper heathcare etc. Money has to be spent wisely - and making schools into fortifications for the vast amount of schools is huge waste of money.

B. Where does it stop - we already spend huge amounts of money on airport security - that doesn't really work (now they attack the check in area) , next schools, what next malls - concerts, parks,restaurants, movie theaters? It is simply impossible to lock down every area where lots of people congregate. All we do by making schools a hard target - is we get the kids to shoot up the high school football game instead, or the parking lot. Either we live in a free society or we don't. And even if we decide we don't there is not enough money to protect everywhere, it is just impossible.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Oh, it's still books too.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: proximo

I do agree with you about the degree of this. I love when we bring up cars and people say "no one is killing kids intentionally with cars". So what? Way more kids die in cars, regardless of whether it's intentional or not. More kids die in pools, fires, and all kinds of other things. If it's really about saving kids lives, wouldn't you start with the thing that's killing the most kids? That would be logical.

Makes you wonder if some of these folks actually have an alternative motivation. Only some. Most are just being driven by their emotions and aren't interested in logic.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Pearj

You know that every airplane has an Air Marshall on it, right?

That would be a plain clothes guy packing a gun sitting there with you and your children?

OMG! The horror ...

Wait.

No one gets their panties in a wad over that.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

You know that every airplane has an Air Marshall on it, right?

That would be a plain clothes guy packing a gun sitting there with you and your children?

OMG! The horror ...

Wait.

No one gets their panties in a wad over that.

I don't think there's enough of them to be on every plane, but your point is valid. Anyone that's flown more than once or twice, odds are you've been on a plane with one.

There are also millions of concealed carriers in the US. Pretty much anywhere you go in public with a lot of people, odds are there's someone with a gun near you and you just don't know it. Except in liberal havens that have all but banned it, which coincidentally have lots of crime.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
So the answer to school shootings from dangerous people is to arm already highly stressed individuals and hope the hell they are ready for such a highly volatile situation and that they don't accidentally shoot an innocent victim?

Sounds idiotic to me.
edit on 23-2-2018 by donnydeevil because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Schools should not be "gun free" zones. Universities should allow licensed students to carry their concealed sidearms and lower schools should allow trained and licensed teachers to carry. Laws are only intended for the law abiding and murder is already highly illegal... which means anyone who is intending to murder someone doesn't give a flip about laws. Gun free zone laws only remove the means of protection from the law abiding populace.

For the record, I disagree with raising the age on any firearm or ammo purchase. If you are considered old enough to be sent to die in some foreign sh--hole in the name of "America," then you should be old enough to buy firearms for your own use, buy booze, and buy a pack of smokes. Hell, "the vote" is sometimes referred to as the most powerful responsibility any American has and we allow that at 18.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The only gun free zone I agree with are bars. That is one place the law seems to keep the death toll down.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: Irishhaf

No, I'm simply "implying" that it isn't responsible or intelligent to just assume all school teachers are Hollywood style superhero "good guys"... who should automatically be trusted to be armed, well enduring their notoriously psychologically stressful work environment.

Sounds like the perfect recipe for disaster...

So you don't trust some (because all is not a reasonable thought) to defend the children with a tool that is a force multiplier, because they cant be trusted.

Yet they can be trusted to mold their minds as the child grows and learns...

You truly don't see the disconnect in this thinking?

I would say doing nothing more than we are is a disaster in the making, teachers that want to and have a background that supports the concept should be used, this give the resource officer (if there is one) immediate back up in the face of an armed aggressor.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   

As of right now you clearly can't keep guns out of schools. So having them in the appropriate hands is the better solution.

I have never and likely will never own a gun.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: Irishhaf

No, I'm simply "implying" that it isn't responsible or intelligent to just assume all school teachers are Hollywood style superhero "good guys"... who should automatically be trusted to be armed, well enduring their notoriously psychologically stressful work environment.

Sounds like the perfect recipe for disaster...

Good thing no one including Trump is advocating that. He and others advocate for a select few to be trusted.

One of the Parkland students said he thinks the coach, who was killed, would have been able to take Cruz out if he was armed. The student in question helped protect 60 students and the coach in question died trying to shield other students.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: donnydeevil
So the answer to school shootings from dangerous people is to arm already highly stressed individuals and hope the hell they are ready for such a highly volatile situation and that they don't accidentally shoot an innocent victim?

Sounds idiotic to me.

It would sound idiotic if all you know about shootings is what you've seen in the movies. There's stories every day of people defending themselves with a gun, bystanders are rarely struck. Even cops hit bystanders sometimes. If this Florida shooting taught us anything it's that you can't rely on the police. Armed civilians is the only sensible answer. Your concerns are due to misinformation. And the whole idea that one of these armed teachers might decide to shoot up the school himself when he's having a bad day is just asinine. If he wanted to kill that bad, even if there was no such program and he didn't have a gun on him, he could just go get one. It's just not realistic. It's gun control propaganda.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The President is protected by people with guns.
ditto congress, SCOTUS, VIPs, celebrities, and armored cars full of money.

but kids go to 'gun free zones'.

by all means get qualified people to carry in our schools.
good job for retired veterans. imagine some punk going to Central High and encountering a grunt that spent three years in Afghanistan. bring it on child.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

Obama tried to get mentally imbalanced people to be included in a NICS backround check.....republicans and trump passed a law prohibiting that...they are affectively saying...NO NICS BACKROUND CHECKS ON THE MENTALLY ILL....it's pretty clear to me

Obama enacted a policy that was too broad and poorly written, and it removed the constitutionally protected rights from people that it should not have--THAT is why Trump nullified that policy (as others have already schooled you about).

Again, you have zero understanding of the NICS criteria if you are still holding out that the NICS does not include adjudications of mental issues as a means to deny a person a firearm.

Maybe it is clear to you, but when you haven't cleaned the lenses of your ideological glasses for years, you miss a lot of the details that matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join