It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Live: Reinforces More Guns In Schools - How Do trump Supporters Feel?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Thought I should note, I'm a gun owner.

I do not think they should raise the age limit from 18 to 21 (trumps idea). I was given my first gun for my 14th birthday and learned to shoot on my grandparents farm. That undoubtedly is how I was able to earn the Expert Marksman ribbon in the Air Force later in life.

I could see limiting the caliber of rifle / rounds a person under 21 is able to buy.

I do not think they should change or amend the Bill of Rights - I know why our Founding Fathers gave us the right to bear arms and I agree with them.

I fully believe an answer can be found that does not involve changing what our Founding Fathers intended.

Just wanted to be clear on how I feel - since I'm asking you.

-----

Edit to add: Wow! Made this thread, thought I should add this post, finished it, and there's already one page full. I'm willing to bet angry folks are assuming and insulting - lets go see...

Edit 2: Not as bad as I thought. Gonna attach this post to the op.

edit on 23-2-2018 by Pearj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I think there being qualified staff armed in schools is better deterrent to would be shooters than turning the schools into a semblance of prison.

The more they fortify a school the more pressure is put on students the more likely they will snap.

The left wants to give students less freedom and call it security instead we should embrace the freedoms granted by the constitution and allow the faculty to defend themselves and students.

Use the money they want to spend on metal detectors and reinforced walls to improve the schools and increase teachers. Most of the schools here in Florida have a large amount temporary structures outside for classes. There are too many students and not enough teachers or school facilities.
edit on 23-2-2018 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
the Times have changed... It is no longer a 'Leave it to Beaver' kind of world in the Burbs...

and the 'Mayberry RFD' small country town in the NC foothills has since shuttered up the Furniture Factory & left the townsfolk with nary a subsistence job...

the new School Janitor now sports weighty items in his cargo-pants pockets, chances are a 9mm in the right leg pocket & 2 full magazines in the left leg pocket... open borders done played a role

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Has anyone considered just keeping doors locked?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
This is my first time posting here, been lurking here a looooong time.

Personally it does not affect my life, my kids are homeschooled and their teachers and classmates are armed to the teeth. But for those that can not teach their own children and must send them to the local "indoctrination center", I would suggest a wall with a gate at each of the four sides....JROTC students ( that already know how to properly use a weapon ) posted in rotating shifts at each gate, armed with NON LETHAL beanbags in a shotgun, steps away from a fully loaded EXTREMELY LETHAL M4. Cameras everywhere ( that are REAL TIME no half hour delay ). And how bout a swarm of drones circling every school with maybe some way to detect a student walking to class with a soft case for a long rifle? Sound too far out there? a reply to: Pearj

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Pearj

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The link is my solution.

More guns won't solve the problem.
Banning guns won't solve the problem.

It's a superficial "feel-good" move to appease those who are emotional and not rational.

As someone who voted for Trump, this is my opinion.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Considering some of the deranged teachers we hear about from time to time.

I think we would be hearing some horror stories pretty quickly, if they were suddenly armed.

It would result in a horrible 'incident' and end up becoming the final nail in the presidents coffin, if he was actually stupid enough to enact a policy, which mandated teachers to be armed...
edit on 23-2-2018 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I think we would be hearing some horror stories pretty quickly, if they were suddenly armed.

No doubt.

Yeah give her a gun.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

without reading any other responses, I'll say this. The gun free zone thing hasn't worked so far. the only people who respect those laws are the legal gun owners who might otherwise be able to help in a shooter situation. I'd bet there are some teachers who would be willing to do this, but it needs to be voluntary and if the parents don't like the idea, it needs to be shelved in that school. I don't feel like this is something that can be forced on kids, parents, or teachers. But if it saves lives, it's a step in the right direction. One thing is certain, we need to change something. Not doing so will guarantee more of the same.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
What stops a bad guy with a gun?

A good guy with a gun.

Exception: Unless the bad guy shoots himself.

So, to recap, more good guys with guns = less idiots attempting mass shootings.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
So lets see the paid armed guard refused to engage the shooter, while teachers armed with nothing raced help the kids.

I say some teachers if they pass the tests should have a CCL while in school in case the next time an armed guard hides the teacher has more than hopes, dreams, and their body to help the children.

Yet all I keep here is teachers are to unbalanced to have a gun, yet are balanced enough to teach our children, anyone else see the disconnect?

Also how many shootings were stopped by a gun free zone to date, compare that to how many shootings were stopped by a good guy with a gun? (Hint: cops are typically a good guy/gal with a gun)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: pianopraze
How many of these shootings have been stopped by armed civilians?

Here is at least 15:

1) October 1, 1997 Pearl High School.

2) January 16, 2002 Appalachian School of Law.

3) July 25, 2014 “Gun Free” Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital.

4) December 9, 2007 New Life Church Shooting, Colorado Springs, Colorado.

5) July 7, 1999 National Shooting Club Santa Clara, California

6) December 17, 1991, Shoney’s Family Restaurant Anniston, Alabama. (Side-note: Happened just 2 months after the “Gun Free” Luby’s Massacre.)

7) July 13, 2009, at the Golden Food Market Shooting Richmond, Virginia

8) Aug 03, 2012 Peach House RV Shooting, Early, Texas

9) College Park, GA, May 4, 2009.

10) May 27th, 2010 AT&T store New York Mills, New York.

11) February 12, 2007 Trolley Square Shooting, Salt Lake City, Utah.

12) 25 May, 2008 Players Bar and Grill, Winnemucca NV Shooting.

13) April 24, 2012 Destiny Christian Center Shooting.

14) December 11, 2012 Clackamas Town Center, Oregon

15) June 26th 2016 Playoffz nightclub Lyman, SC

and in how many of those was it not legal to have a gun? (gun free zone)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

well how many school and mass shootings do countries with similar populations have? something tells me it has a lot more to do with our current culture along with the over medicating of our children. we have the highest incarceration rate on the planet and crime rates in our urban areas that rival 3rd world countries but somehow it is not the kids in the poverty stricken inner cities that are doing the school and mass shootings. inner city shooters while they do terrorize and sometimes shoot the innocent they mostly tend to focus on each other (criminals shooting criminals perhaps why we don't see as much outrage?) while these mass shooters go after innocent people en masse.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I have to agree with you about raising the age. It's a red herring.

Let's do a thought experiment.

A 19 year old man wants to murder a bunch of kids at a school. However, the laws have been changed and prevent him from walking into a gun store and buying an AR-15 or even a handgun. What does he do? Well, but in this gun controller's fantasy, he's otherwise a law-abiding citizen, so what other legal ways are there for him to get a gun?

The gun show loophole! He decides to go to a gun show and, despite the propaganda, discovers that gun shows are full of cops and nosy people who ask way too many questions. Most of the vendors are licensed dealers and require background checks, and the few private sellers he can find are partnered with the licensed dealers and are also doing background checks even though they're not technically required by law.

Now what? Well there's the online loophole. He tries to go online and order one, and discovers despite the propaganda that any licensed dealer or gun auction site he tries will not ship a gun directly to your door. Once you make the purchase, the gun will be shipped to a dealer near you which will require you to pass a background check before they transfer the gun to you. So he can't get one online.

He still wants to kill, so maybe he starts contemplating illegal means to acquire a gun. What are the most common ways that people who can't legally own a gun manage to acquire one? Neither of the 2 above options are common. The most common way would be to have someone he knows buy him one (straw purchase). If he doesn't know anyone that would do this for him, he could steal one from a friend or relative. He could break into a gun store or pawn shop and steal one from there. If he knows anyone that deals drugs he can ask them if they've been able to get a gun through their network, and if not if he knows anyone who has.

But let's continue this gun controller's fantasy. He doesn't want to acquire a gun through illegal means. Well, he could kill use another method. He could build a bomb, buy a machete, rent a large truck and plow into a crowd of kids as they leave a school or wait at a crosswalk. But we've stumbled into another fantasy. The only reason this guy wants to kill anyone is because guns exist. If guns were never invented, this guy would have no urge to murder. So he winds up doing nothing.

Until he turns 21. Given the absolute refusal by the gun control lobby to address the mental health side of this because guns are the real enemy here, is there any reason to think that this guy isn't still going to be #ed up in 2 years? And how many of these shooters are under 21 anyway? Very few. The average age of US mass shooters in recent years has been well over 21.

But yes, let's continue to focus on things that aren't really the problem and won't really solve anything.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

lol, you crazy Americans, with your good guy & bad guy catchphrases.

You do realize life isn't a superman movie... right?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

So cops never stop the bad guy where you live?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

A 19 year old man wants to murder a bunch of kids at a school. However, the laws have been changed and prevent him from walking into a gun store and buying an AR-15 or even a handgun.

We don't have to.

Lanza killed his mother to obtain the one he used.

Neither the background check or age limit would have prevented it.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Yep can't trust the teachers...you know the ones that educate our kids... So are you saying some deranged teacher doesn't bring a gun to school today because that person respects the law...lol

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Yeah sure, on planet earth, where I live, I suppose the police regularly stop people from breaking the law all the time... But that doesn't inherently make the arresting officer a "good guy" and the offender a "bad guy".

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Obviously what we have done so far hasn't stopped these kind of shootings. We need to try new approaches. Arming appropriately trained and skilled school employees could help.
The guard that was there seems to have done nothing, so that's an issue as well. Systems we had in place failed.

It's more of not detecting the warning signs and then appropriately acting on them. We had multiple warnings/instances on this shooter, yet everyone seems to have ignored them.

That and the mental health/drugs they are prescribed seem to be the common denominators.

trump and the republicans want crazy people to be able to purchase guns.....they signed the bill into law in 2017......they don't give a s**t about your kids.....here's the article, and the bill's name is H J res. 40 of feb. 2017....
www.nbcnews.com...

this overturned an Obama bill where he was trying to keep crazy people from buying guns.....but you know, get rid of anything the first black president did......
edit on 23-2-2018 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4 >>

join