It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Live: Reinforces More Guns In Schools - How Do trump Supporters Feel?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Watching trump and the Prime Minister of Australia speaking.

He is doubling down on his 'more guns in school' and says very clearly that he does NOT want gun-free schools.

He stated he does not think armed guards should be used because they don't "love the children". He stated teachers love the kids, and should be the one with guns.

He would like to see the teachers who have served in the armed services have guns.

He has made it clear - the answer is more guns in school - the answer is NOT gun-free schools.

I feel schools should have similar security to an airport, minus the Marshal in the classroom. Similar to going to an NFL game, etc.. (bag checks, metal detectors etc) I wouldn't mind police officers outside the school, and of course I think those people should be willing to act.

How do his supporters feel? How about parents who are trump supporters with kids in schools feel? Would you like to see more guns in school?

Is this trumps first bad idea - or another great one.. Does this change your support or reinforce it?

-----

An after thought that landed on page 2 lol - thought I should edit to add it here...

Thought I should note, I'm a gun owner.

I do not think they should raise the age limit from 18 to 21 (trumps idea). I was given my first gun for my 14th birthday and learned to shoot on my grandparents farm. That undoubtedly is how I was able to earn the Expert Marksman ribbon in the Air Force later in life.

I could see limiting the caliber of rifle / rounds a person under 21 is able to buy.

I do not think they should change or amend the Bill of Rights - I know why our Founding Fathers gave us the right to bear arms and I agree with them.

I fully believe an answer can be found that does not involve changing what our Founding Fathers intended.

Just wanted to be clear on how I feel - since I'm asking you.

edit on 23-2-2018 by Pearj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

He has made it clear - the answer is more guns in school - the answer is NOT gun-free schools.

If I was reading an article on CNN I would suggest this is an obvious propaganda piece with the way this rhetoric is being spun.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Pearj

Every school should have a metal detector, that all have to go through, Like at a court house....My school had them in 1989.

On a separate note on that conference. Could trump have patted himself on the back more? It was tough to watch him speak, and then listen to the well spoken AU Prime Minister. One sounded educated, the other like a used car salesman.

edit on 23-2-2018 by kurthall because: add

edit on 23-2-2018 by kurthall because: add

edit on 23-2-2018 by kurthall because: fix

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall

Every school should have a metal detector, that all have to go through, Like at a court house....My school had them in 1989.

I went to one of those schools growing up. Don't worry they will just wait to get you outside the school.

link   

Or do what Liberty University's Jerry Falwell Jr. Proposed.... Arm the students.

link   
I agree that schools should not be gun free zones. My high school had an armed resource officer, and my kids elementary school has an armed guard.

Perhaps there could be a new agency like the TSA made for public schools?? Or even better, eliminate the TSA, and send them to guard public schools instead. If every plane has a sky Marshall, why cannot every school have an armed guard?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

What if the Russians hack them?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Considering some of the deranged teachers we hear about from time to time.

I think we would be hearing some horror stories pretty quickly, if they were suddenly armed.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
More guns are useless.

Unless the protectors engage when the need arises.

It's not exactly going to be easy to shoot a kid.

When people say things like this.

Rememeber just exactly what it is your supporting.

The only difference is how many kids.

One.

More than one.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

He stated he does not think armed guards should be used because they don't "love the children". He stated teachers love the kids, and should be the one with guns.

Teachers "love the children"

Some do...depends on the school.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It's a scary thought imagining my high school teachers armed. I'm not 100% sure I'd still be here.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I'd say a better option is bullet resistant doors and turning class rooms in to safe rooms.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
There is also the question of whether more teachers will rape their students and use the firearm as coercion and threat?
This is why I prefer the armed resource officer or private security guards. Again, every plane that flies American skies has an armed federal agent. Can't we do the same or similar for public schools?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I say if they were qualified to carry concealed, they should be able to in school. If you look at the numbers, statistically CCW holders are by far one of the most law abiding segment in the population. I believe even more than Cops.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

How many kids are actually killed in school versus the population of kids in schools, per year?

How many schools total per year are attacked per total schools?

How many total attackers, per year?

Now take that, and how much should every one else (of over 300,000,000 people) should have to suffer for it?

Murphy's Law: When you have over 300 million people, crazy stuff will happen every year. Everything imaginable. Every. Single. Year.

So how slippery a slope should we set for every possible thing?

Apparently whatever the agenda news decides to perpetually bombard us with we'll go all in on that every single time because we're all free thinkers, and stuff.
edit on 23-2-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Obviously what we have done so far hasn't stopped these kind of shootings. We need to try new approaches. Arming appropriately trained and skilled school employees could help.
The guard that was there seems to have done nothing, so that's an issue as well. Systems we had in place failed.

It's more of not detecting the warning signs and then appropriately acting on them. We had multiple warnings/instances on this shooter, yet everyone seems to have ignored them.

That and the mental health/drugs they are prescribed seem to be the common denominators.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Agreed.

Arming some teachers can be a sensible solution. Of course the media are misrepresenting it and making it sound like people want to just give every teacher a gun and wish them the best of luck. That's not true at all. It would be a voluntary program, so if you're not comfortable with it you don't have to do it. Those who volunteer go through extensive training and frequent psych evals. The other key part is they must remain anonymous. No one should know which teachers/staff are carrying. We've seen instances where a place had an armed guard and the shooter just singles them out as the first person to shoot. Knowing multiple people in the building are armed but not knowing who they are is an effective deterrent. These people are crazy, not stupid. They look for places where they won't meet resistance.
edit on 23 2 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
In a gun loving culture like the US .... gun free zones are a really stupid idea because you are making it too easy for the few crazies who have access to guns.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
several American presidents have been involved in actual duels. Anti-gun screechers have got to deal with the fact that the bad guys are not going to give up their guns and the laws will only harm law-abiding citizens.
Private citizens should be allowed to own AR-15 howitzers Abrams Tanks jet fighters and anything else that they can safely own and maintain.
edit on 2 23 2018 by dashen because: There are 200 registered hand grenades in Florida

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
How many of these shootings have been stopped by armed civilians?

Here is at least 15:

1) October 1, 1997 Pearl High School.

2) January 16, 2002 Appalachian School of Law.

3) July 25, 2014 “Gun Free” Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital.

4) December 9, 2007 New Life Church Shooting, Colorado Springs, Colorado.

5) July 7, 1999 National Shooting Club Santa Clara, California

6) December 17, 1991, Shoney’s Family Restaurant Anniston, Alabama. (Side-note: Happened just 2 months after the “Gun Free” Luby’s Massacre.)

7) July 13, 2009, at the Golden Food Market Shooting Richmond, Virginia

8) Aug 03, 2012 Peach House RV Shooting, Early, Texas

9) College Park, GA, May 4, 2009.

10) May 27th, 2010 AT&T store New York Mills, New York.

11) February 12, 2007 Trolley Square Shooting, Salt Lake City, Utah.

12) 25 May, 2008 Players Bar and Grill, Winnemucca NV Shooting.

13) April 24, 2012 Destiny Christian Center Shooting.

14) December 11, 2012 Clackamas Town Center, Oregon

15) June 26th 2016 Playoffz nightclub Lyman, SC

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join