It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I’m a military man and I think we should ban assault weapons

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

And they're still wrong. Your appeal to authority doesn't make your appeal correct.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   

AR is just a glorified handgun. Why not just ban handguns then?

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Does any serious-minded, morally centered reader believe that George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson or any of our other geniuses of freedom intended that a disturbed young man or a disgruntled employee or just a vicious drunk should be guaranteed the right to a personal arsenal of weapons designed for mass murder?

No, actually. I think that our Founders believed that we as a society would be able to discern between who would be a viable candidate for the militia and who would not. But that requires people knowing each other, communicating amongst themselves, and being willing as a community to say "This person should not be allowed to have a gun."

In the years since, the community ceded that responsibility to the government. And in the case of Florida, the government failed on multiple levels. We the People need to be more engaged in our communities and be willing to take the politically incorrect actions that place a small percentage of people in asylums or other domiciles for the safety of the majority.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
the 2nd amendment is to DEFEND ourselves. i dont know about you but i have no interest in wanting to defend myself with something like a .308 bolt action. Ideally I would want a semi-auto rifle/pistol or a shotgun.

the most important thing to pay attention to here guys is that there is a bigger agenda unfolding.
they want Americans disarmed. in short all i can say is whatever the agenda is (i have my ideas), it involves Americans dying. the numbers will be much much much more severely devastating if we can not defend ourselves. i dont think most people realize how chaotic and shook our country currently is, this is a pivotal moment for western civilization and the world. either we preserve our rights and restore our country, or a lose our rights and a lot of people will die.
if the 2nd goes, everything else will topple with it.

people are not realizing this whole school/mass shooting are orchestrated events by Intelligence agencies. every shooting basically has a FBI/CIA tie in somewhere, at times numerous/periodic and now factor in the major key part - its not by coincidence that essentially every shooting involves a mentally disturbed shooter on psych meds hearing voices. (lookup "Voice of God Weapon" and "Voice to Skull Technology).

William Cooper in his 1991 book “Behold A Pale Horse” wrote:
“The government encouraged the manufacture and importation of firearms for the criminals to use. This is intended to foster a feeling of insecurity, which would lead the American people to voluntarily disarm themselves by passing laws against firearms. Using drugs and hypnosis on mental patients in a process called Orion, the CIA inculcated the desire in these people to open fire on schoolyards and thus inflame the anti-gun lobby. This plan is well under way, and so far is working perfectly. The middle class is begging the government to do away with the 2nd Amendment.”

taking guns away for defense will cause crime to rocket and leave everyone vulnerable. the reason no one breaks into my house or yours is because they know there is a chance they will get shot for trying it. imagine your house every day/night having a "100% defenseless" sign over it - 24/7, you dont want that.
Australia for example has more gun crime now with gun control than they did before they enforced it.

taking guns from law abiding citizens WILL ONLY increase violence and chaos, amongst citizens also between the people and govt. the 2nd amendment is the ONLY direct check/balance we have between us and the govt.

this is not about "safety" or the "kids" or "schools", im telling you something is brewing its not hard to tell given the leftist agendas unfolding. americans will be killed in insane numbers if we dont fight to keep our 2nd amendment. we are all already seeing our 1st amendment dissolving.

[Also please checkout my post i just made: www.abovetopsecret.com...
This bill (S. 1693) is being voted on in the House on TUESDAY 2/27/18. If passed it will be the death of MANY WEBSITES and SEVERE CENSORSHIP. The government is creating a loophole where website owners will be responsible for what EVERY visitor posts/comments!]

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Well, unless he is providing me and my family 24/7 security...I don't particularly find his insights logical or wise. I don't even find his comments particularly conservative. Being in the military and a life long gun owner doesn't mean you really understand the meat and bones of the 2nd Amendment. I know lawyers who have studied it for years and still don't agree about it, despite supporting written documents. *shrugs*

The semi-automatic AR 10 and 15. They were civilian guns first, that were modified (and made into full automatic) and ported into military arms and today, there still exists these two distinct categories of weapons. He apparently has decided there is not a difference between semi and fully automatic weapons. *RME*

He seems very disingenuous and agenda pushing to me....just goes to show you can be pro-gun and still have drunk the Kool-Aid. I am sure a lot of people will get swept up with these emotions and slowly be okay with surrendering their right for self protection.

Well veteran or not, he isn't any more qualified to decide for me than many of our agenda prone politicians who want to make sure we're disarmed.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   

It has nothing to do with stopping anything. It's a last line of defense. Your declaration states that you have the right to bare arms equivalent to whatever the standard issue military rifle is at any given time. There's a very good reason for that...

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: HorizonFall

Your declaration

Well that's an interesting turn of phrase.

So you're not American then, I take it you have some reason to insert your self into this domestic American issue?

K~

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

I don't think I need a reason or have to be American to remind those of you Americans who don't seem to understand their own constitution... And as a firearm owner myself I feel obliged to vouch for people's last line of defence.

Though please tell me how my input is irrelevant. Can't allow too many voices from the opposition can we?

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I have to respectfully disagree with the author of that piece.

To say that the school shooter could not have done what he did with a sports rife or shotgun is incorrect, in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Busted.

K~

Oh wait you probably don't know what that American saying means.

To be "busted" means you were caught.
edit on 26-2-2018 by aethertek because: sayings

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

In fact, the 'military man' should know that the AR is NOT a close-quarters weapon. The preferred weapon would, in fact, be a shotgun with the appropriate loads (alternating 000 and #4/6). But what do I know... he's the 'military man'.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

Real clever bud... pretty sure that term isn't exclusive to Americans.

What have I been busted for exactly?

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Obviously you're only allowed to talk about things in your own country. Unless of course you're a british guy on CNN (piers morgan), then you can talk about how dumb america is for not having confiscated all of the guns already and that's totally cool. /s

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Bans dont work. They didnt work in britan, canada or austrailia. Criminals still rob banks with guns.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Regardless of opinion, or subject--and my own commentary to the contrary at times--yours is as valid as anyone else's, and more than some.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: JourneymanWelder

When was the last mass shooting in the UK?.
Plus we do have guns we have to jump through hoops but 2 million fire arms licenses are in the UK.
I'm going to get a licence because I have started shooting as a hobby.
Bank jobs? Not a common occurrence anymore due to security improvements.
Also if you get caught with an illegal firearm over here you really are screwed.
I don't blame the gun btw I blame US society something is really wrong over there.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508
a reply to: introvert

In fact, the 'military man' should know that the AR is NOT a close-quarters weapon. The preferred weapon would, in fact, be a shotgun with the appropriate loads (alternating 000 and #4/6). But what do I know... he's the 'military man'.

In all fairness, our issued M4s were our CQ weapons. They come in various options but we carried the M4 sopmod versions for everything. We ran Remington 870s for breaching detail. A shotgun fired within confined areas can disorient team members so was better served as a tool for blowing padlocks off doors. Not sure when you served or branch/division but that's how we were trained.
edit on 27-2-2018 by Anathros because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Anathros

Agreed .....in my Marine Corps experience the most common use for a shotgun was a breaching tool

The smaller round platform provides a much faster reaction speed and accurate point of acquisition w out risk of hitting someone else

Have no idea wtf this armchair military man is talking about
edit on 2/27/2018 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Assault weapons are already banned.....

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask
Exactly. Because you are working in a team. There are other friendlies in the vicinity. If you're going solo that's not a consideration. You're looking for mass lethality and immobilization.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join