It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I’m a military man and I think we should ban assault weapons

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Thank you!

I appreciate your honesty!

The only difference between a mil spec assault rifle & a civilian AR-15 assault rifle is the rate of fire.

Which as has been repeatedly pointed out in the bump-stock appreciation threads, can be circumvented with a rubberband.

So the only difference between a military grade assault rifle & a civilian AR-15 assault rifle is a rubberband.

K~

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek

The only difference between a mil spec assault rifle & a civilian AR-15 assault rifle is the rate of fire.

Actually mil spec is not correctly used. All my guns are mil spec, but are semi-auto.

Which as has been repeatedly pointed out in the bump-stock appreciation threads, can be circumvented with a rubberband.

So the only difference between a military grade assault rifle & a civilian AR-15 assault rifle is a rubberband.

I'm trying to understand your point here and I can't...The bump-stock was intended to help handicap people to shoot. We see it can be modded to shoot guns faster, but sure the hell not very accurate in any case, so unless a person is spraying a crowd as in LV you are not going to hit much that you are aiming at.

In any case the President said today bump-stocks will be put on the ban list due to the nature you can mod it, so once again I'm trying to see what your point is.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

A workaround, especially a rubber band or duct tape, is not creating an equal tool except maybe in an imagination.

Bump stocks are a terrible workaround, too.

Lol. A rubber band.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Rate of fire (for the most part...you can also change out pins and whatnot) is the only difference between the standard issue M4/M16 and AR15.

And that is all that matters. Beyond rate of fire, all you have are cosmetic differences between a Mini14 and AR15. No one complains about the Mini14, though...because it doesn't appear to look like an M4.

Rate of fire. That is the problem. Otherwise, you are just wanting to discuss bullets, and maybe rifling/barrel length (which varies in the world of AR's)

That is literally what I told him in response to that question...and apparently its all wrong when I say it...so meh. I haven't heard back about what the difference between an AR-15 and any other civilian model rifle chambered in 5.56/.223 is. I suspect that wasn't answered because the only difference is the furniture and the rail mounting system.
edit on 23-2-2018 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
As I first stated it's impossible to have reasoned debate when one side repeatedly post the fallacy that the AR-15 is not an assault rifle.

As has been admitted the "rate of fire" is the only "difference" between a military standard M-16 & a civilian AR-15.

What is further known is that either a bump-stock or a simple implement like a rubberband can increase the rate of fire on a civilian AR-15 to exceed that of a military issue M-16.

They are both assault rifles!

& spare all of us the insult of "accuracy", you need no accuracy when your spraying bullets into a room or crowd.

K~

edit on 23-2-2018 by aethertek because: guu

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

The latest school shooter could not have done what he did with a sports rifle or shotgun.

See, this is what pisses me off about this scenario - blurting out such brazen inaccuracies.

Either that, or the trigger for the Australian gun grab was a massive false flag event.

Remember what weapon Martin Bryant used to mow down 30+ in Port Arthur, Tasmania?

????

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Of course, with the advent of 3D printing, any weapon can be produced by anyone with the inclination to do so.

All the more reason to retain my and your right to own what we already enjoy.

You will not win this.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek

As has been admitted the "rate of fire" is the only "difference" between a military standard M-16 & a civilian AR-15.

They are both assault rifles!

& spare all of us the insult of "accuracy", you need no accuracy when your spraying bullets into a room or crowd.

By your "assault" definition we can then classify ALL guns as "assault" since the only thing that separates them ALL is basically rate of fire.

The is nothing special about the M16. It is not the most powerful bullet, the fastest shooter, the longest range etc etc. It is the lowest level weaponry the military uses. The AR15 is further limited....

As to accuracy...I guess you do not shoot guns...lol If someone is going to go though all he trouble to build something that just sprays the crowd then they should just build a cheap crock pot bomb... wait...they already have done that...

edit on 23-2-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Why do you insist on using an ambiguous made up term that you yourself can't even define...that's why you can't have any discussion with people other than those like-minded with you.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I'd like to ban the term 'assault weapon'.

Or at least beat the people who say it with a bar of soap in a sock.

Censorship!!!!

Nooo

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I just heard on Fox news that a doctor who treated the dead kids said if the wounds had been made with a regular gun they probably would have survived.

I’m just being a reporter on this.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
You folks who play down the power of this killing machine are actually demonstrating against one reason for having the gun.

You have it to fight some mythical war against the government who will have full automatic real assault guns you have to go up against with your flimsy AR 15

What’s the point?

edit on 23-2-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
You folks who play down the power of this killing machine are actually demonstrating against one reason for having the gun.

You have it to fight some mythical war against the government who will have full automatic real assault guns you have to go up against with your flimsy AR 15

What’s the point?

The point is there's a # load more AR-15s in civilian hands than any army can handle. There are more guns in the State of Alabama than the entire U.S. military's inventory.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

What’s the point?

The point is there's a # load more AR-15s in civilian hands than any army can handle. There are more guns in the State of Alabama than the entire U.S. military's inventory.

So you think somebody’s going to attack Alabama

And you really believe the government who has lethal weapons to kill everybody in Alabama in 2 seconds flat would be worried about that

You don't make much of a point.

All of those guns are no threat to any hypothetical force attacking Alabama.

Those guns, though, are a threat to the people of Alabama

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
what if they looked like this...This is an AR15...

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
More proof the left really don't want to fix the problem....

1. Hardly any are owned anymore
2. The last automatic rifle used in a mass shooting was in the 60s

the left don't want to actually fix this, they just want to use the tragedies to push agenda.
edit on 2/23/2018 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

What’s the point?

And you really believe the government who has lethal weapons to kill everybody in Alabama in 2 seconds flat would be worried about that

Because the guns are just gonna jump up and start shooting people????

The logical fallacy of the left is amazing and the hypocrisy

When there's a cop shooting a black man they don't blame the gun they blame the cop

Proof this b.s. isn't genuine, it's agenda driven

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I expect to see rubber band banning threads. Make it happen K !

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Exactly because if they were so worried about how dangerous it is

Why aren't they looking at .308?

Because most configurations traditionally didn't look scary....despite the fact the knockdown power,damage and range are far superior to the AR

BUT WHAT do you expect from the disingenuous and woefully uninformed left

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

What’s the point?

Because the guns are just gonna jump up and start shooting people????

The logical fallacy of the left is amazing and the hypocrisy

When there's a cop shooting a black man they don't blame the gun they blame the cop

Proof this b.s. isn't genuine, it's agenda driven

It’s not an agenda just people’s opinion. Ralph Peters is a known arch conservative.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join